Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Re: "Story" vs "Immersion and Imagination" - What works best for you?

Actually it does. That's what lightning rods do. Anything that acts like a lightning rod can get struck many times.
    Last edited by cerpin taxt; 10-03-2007 at 01:10 PM.

•   
    • Senior Minion

I'm all for immersion and imagination! I even dislike a lot of these movie adaptations of books, because in my mind I've already created the world the book tries to create. As time has gone by I've seen that imagination is something that is coming in short supply, and the way certain entertainment is presented doesn't foster this.

I like that we have the submarines up and running, and would have preferred to not have a movie tie-in. I think the old submarines were much better in that you were presented with a world outside the porthole, instead of images telling you a story (as you stated) you could have made up your own storyline.

The subs did need something done though. My imagination ran wild getting to climb into a "real" submarine. But as great as my imagination was as a kid, seeing a plastic fish on a stick just didn't do it for me. I think the technological change was a good move, and I'm not even opposed to the fish being Pixar fish. But they could have just left it at that. It would be funner to recognise for yourself all the subtle things you remember from the movie instead of having to be directed through the scenes. But having a 20,000 leagues under the sea theme did make the submarine aspect much more powerful. It made it feel like you were part of a crew going on a very important voyage, again, vs. being only an observer.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    Sorry Gracey, but I think you're stretching there.

I don't really think the whole golden Disneyland logo in conjunction with the "Big Thunder strikes" catch line so much embodies or hearkens to the lost Baxter story as it much poorly reflects on its identity as a whole.

Big Thunder is a mine train in the unsettled west. This much we know. All of the equipment indicates that it is a gold claim. No surprise there. Heck, even the phrase "Big Thunder Strikes" is a double implication as when an abundant gold vein was unearthed, it was called "striking gold," and, more obviously, "...thunder strikes!" as a natural phenomenon is rather self-explanatory.

But, I do smirk at them repeating "Big Thunder Strikes" twice in a row as lightning is known to "never strike in the same place twice."
    Your points further back up my claims. Much of the theming for Big Thunder indicates a gold mine (hence, the mine train) - all of this supports Tony Baxter's story for the attraction.

Also - how is the commercial's mention of some sort of supernatural force on the Mountain NOT a direct mention of Baxter's story for the attraction?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• "I Break Things"

Back to Swiss/Tarzan

I did not have the fun and excitement of working Swiss because by the time I got to the J.C. (mid 90's) we were basically just caretakers who would open it, close it, and walk through it on occasion. I never professed that it was a massive crowd puller. In fact it was about as empty as the current treehouse, but it didn't have the cool new effects, fun jumpy bridge, or massive IN YOUR FACE entrance. Strange, it almost seems as if the new glitz and glam has little effect. I also remember both Swiss and Tarzan being crowded in the summer, but in different spots. And I remember the lengthy line when Tarzan opened. Specifically I remember the wonderfully colorful commentary at the exit "We waited X time for that?" and "Is that it... there has to be more." sounds that would later be echoed by most who went to DCA's opening.

The argument that Swiss was better or Tarzan was better is completely pointless. From a thematic standpoint Tarzan makes 0 sense. If I remember the movie, wasn't he raised by apes, not in a wonderful treehouse. In fact I only remember a few scenes that even involve the treehouse. Yet suddenly you are transported to this treehouse and told the bio of Tarzan as if he lived there the entire time. At least the Swiss stayed in the house. I really wish Disney would have integrated the two, and made it a generic treehouse of sorts. The bridge is an amazing addition, as is the interactive area, but they took out so much including that massive water wheel. Both treehouses were interesting, the new one has a great deal more for the kids (jumpy bridge interactive area) but why the fake cartoon characters?
    Last edited by techskip; 10-03-2007 at 01:36 PM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• "I Break Things"

Slightly off topic but when Tarzan first opened I remember a sign being placed on the actual bridge. I haven't been to the park in a while but I honestly do not remember that sign being up there. I'm curious why they don't use the outside portion of the bridge (side facing NOS and CC) as a sort of second Adventureland entrance, put up some masks and the whole Adventureland bit.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678