Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: House of the Future

Here's a site that has information that contradicts the "cut up with hacksaws" story:

http://www.mindfully.org/Plastic/Mon...ftheFuture.htm
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

Quote Originally Posted by IMAGINE View Post
    Mandora, I believed cut funding to the house. Also if my knowledge is correct alot of things in there were no longer being considered futuristic. But if you walk near by King Tritons Garden you can find a big Piece of green concrete, that is a big piece of the foundation from the house of the future...I love the demolition story of the house
    My understanding as well. Some things became common (like microwave ovens) and for others it became evident that they were simply silly and
    would never come true.

I seem to recall reading that they had to saw it into pieces, because the wrecking ball kept bouncing off of it!

Quote Originally Posted by codelyokorox View Post
    Then owning an Eichler home is on the top of my to-do list after I graduate college (I'm still in highschool).

Of course, I'd have to take into consideration a lot of things. Like, how much I can afford, can I afford to furnish it, how much my job pays, how close it is to Disneyland.

Oh, and how close it is to family.
    Considering how much ordinary houses fetch in Orange County, you might want to make sure you make a LOT of money. I can only imagine that Eichler houses will command a hefty premium on top of the already stratospheric prices in OC.

• Adventurer Slash Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by NWRREngineer View Post
    To the poster who asked:

I got that picture from the Extinct Attractions Club web site a few years back. Might still be there, I don't know. I usually grab pictures of old Disneyland stuff as soon as I see them in case they disappear.

I'm still not convinced about the whole "they had to saw it up by hand" story of the destruction of the HOTF. The picture (on page 1) shows a wrecking crane taking a nice big bite out of it. The apocryphal story of it's destruction came from a Monsanto publication. I'm sure there were some hacksaws involved at some point, but clearly the house wasn't immune to other kinds of demolition techniques.
    I never said I was telling the truth. I was stating what I read, but thanks for posting a link!

Quote Originally Posted by fkurucz View Post
    Considering how much ordinary houses fetch in Orange County, you might want to make sure you make a LOT of money. I can only imagine that Eichler houses will command a hefty premium on top of the already stratospheric prices in OC.
    Ha, yeah, I know. I hope I'll be making some good money.

• Down Pluto!

With what houses are selling for in OC - you could re-create the HOF on your lot.

Probably have a chunk of change left over...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Adventurer Slash Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    With what houses are selling for in OC - you could re-create the HOF on your lot.

Probably have a chunk of change left over...
    This is true. Maybe I'll just do that. I'll get a couple of photos of the interior or something...

• Down Pluto!

There's more thanks to Daveland...http://davelandweb.com/hof/

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Codelyokorox - I didn't mean to imply you were lying or spreading untruths... I was merely being argumentative against the story itself, since it's assumed to be true by nearly every source out there.

Sorry for sounding like a noodge.
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

• Drunk On Disney

The video is also on a DVD called "Home Movie" as a bonus feature. It's higher quality than the copy Extinct Attractions Club has.
    http://www.amazon.com/Home-Movie-Lin...1430801&sr=1-1

I too share an obsession with this quirky attraction. I have a model of it in my living room.

I hope one day Disney re-creates the exterior and uses it to house a resturant or gift shop or something.

Also, if you have not seen the great Yesterland article on HOF, check it out:
    http://www.yesterland.com/homages.html

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

Smile Re: House of the Future

Quote Originally Posted by codelyokorox View Post
    This is true. Maybe I'll just do that. I'll get a couple of photos of the interior or something...
    The real trick will be getting the materials. I'm pretty sure that a lot of the houses structural components were custom made. I don't think you'll find them at Lowes or Home Depot

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234