Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: An Antigay Incident at Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by rex22 View Post
    I do hope that staff member gets punish though for a wrongful accusation.
    The CM should be disciplined for what could in actuality be an honest mistake? It's Disneyland Resort...it's busy, crowded and safety is priority number 1.

• Goofy

Yes I understand that but I do believe the guy is innocent.

Quote Originally Posted by rex22 View Post
    Yes I understand that but I do believe the guy is innocent.

Yeah...he is innocent, but what I am saying is that if a CM sees something they think is a danger then they must report it and security must take action. The police came and searched and found no danger. The family deserves an apology, but I just don't see where the wild jump in logic is that says that it must have been because he was gay. Him being gay has as little to do with it as the color of his hair.

• Goofy

and to think it all started with a bunch of fingers gestures. I bet this is a juicy topic.

• Once A Skip Always A Skip

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    In this case I actually agree with you

Shock and Awe
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

• a wind to shake the stars

Quote Originally Posted by DisneySeaFan View Post
    I really can't form an opinion. I would have to see this for myself.

That's funny because everyone else here has no problem immediately siding with Disney without having any clue as to what the situation was actually like

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    That's funny because everyone else here has no problem immediately siding with Disney without having any clue as to what the situation was actually like
    I am completely on the fence on this one. In my own experiences with security and PD they are generally nice, respectful, and apologetic if it is a misunderstanding (in my case it was). However I have also seen PD lose it when a Guest is being disrespectful. Security generally showed a little more restraint. Anyone could have been having a bad day. I have been profiled many times (forgot to mention I tend to wear Doc Martin's and a lot of black), you just have to be nice about it and explain your position.

As I said earlier, he should request an apology for the misunderstanding but "Demanding" an apology on the spot will only make the matter worse. This is one side of the story and at this point we do not even have a location for this wall faceplant situation he describes.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Once A Skip Always A Skip

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    While it's true that none of us were actually there, I think there are more than a few of us offering our opinions (that's all they are) because of previous experiences. Personally, I know a few people in law enforcement and I've seen how people immediatly get an attitude when approached by law enforcement. Simirlarly, in years of working inside the pakr I've seen people acting like jerks, potentially being unsafe but when called on it by anyone immediatly turn it into a case of race/ sexual orientation. My favorite example is when I and three other hispanic CM's (two ride operators, a lead and a manager) were told we wouldn't let a child on an attraction because he was a mexican (the truth was he was a good three inches off the 42" height requiremment). By the way not everyone sided with Disney, some didn't offer an opinion at all saying we didn't know all the facts. that's the beauty of a discussion board, we can choose to discuss...or not.

However I have also seen PD lose it when a Guest is being disrespectful.
    Which is why I try not to mouth offf to the guy or girl with the handcuffs, baton and gun.
    Last edited by TrojanSkippa; 09-30-2007 at 08:56 AM.
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

• Progressive Disneylander

After reading this article, it's hard to form any opinion on the matter. Disney seems like they overreacted and the gay issue here doesn't seem to be the obvious issue.

My biggest problem is this:

Van Noy told the group that she "could not remember whether the cast member [who contacted Disney security] said she was threatened, felt threatened, or was offended," and that she then added, "It doesn't make a difference anyway."
    It does make a difference if someone is searched, embarassed and detained for no reason (since nothing was found). I could imagine security having this attitude and it would be the pinnacle of my frustration if no one can tell me what the person who reported the incident said and why they reported it to begin with.

If this person truly did nothing, then Disney will probably have to (and should have to) answer to the courts. With all of the surveillance Disney has everywhere, you would think a security camera should have some answers.

• e komo mai

The good news is that this statement came from a Disneyland official:

"Our policy is, everyone is welcome," Doughty says. "If a same-sex couple wants to hold hands at our park, that's fine."

Doughty says the apology was being issued for the misunderstanding over the hand gesture and denies that a homophobic employee started the whole scuffle. "I can assure you, this is a company that would not tolerate that behavior from a cast member," he says. "We're a very welcoming company."
    To me, it was a misunderstanding, but I'm glad Disney is a company that is still open-minded.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I'm, white, blue eyes, 6'4, 220lbs and usually have a shaved head (0'd not bic'd) easier on the haircuts to just buzz it myself. My point is that I make people nervous ALL THE TIME. To top this off I am also a former Marine.
    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I have been profiled many times (forgot to mention I tend to wear Doc Martin's and a lot of black)
    Is this you?

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    It does make a difference if someone is searched, embarassed and detained for no reason (since nothing was found).
    Re-read the sequence of events

"Security claimed Kenney had threatened someone with a gun, which Kenney denied. Anaheim officers were called to the scene and, according to Kenney, forced him face-first into a wall and then frisked, searched, and interrogated him in front of hundreds of Disney guests."

"Doughty says security came over and detained Kenney and his group, who grew angry, and that police were then called to the scene."

It was the Anaheim police which did the physical stuff - and according to Disney - were only called after Kenney's group 'grew angry' - which is probably the polite way of saying they were being combative and uncooperative.

The writing is on the wall - the guy gets singled out by security (for whatever reason - yes, it DOES NOT MATTER) and apparently he didn't take to that too well.

It does not matter what the justification is when you get confronted by security or police - if you become hostile or uncooperative it is YOU that is escalating the issue. Don't like the way you are being handled, deal with it afterwards, not by escalating it during the confrontation.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Sounds to me like the guy in question is kind of a loud-mouthed jerk. Even if he was wrongly accused of something by some front-line hourly salesclerk in Downtown Disney who then somehow represents the collective belief system of the 75,000 employees of the entire Walt Disney Company, he acted up in such a way as to bring a group of Security Officers into the mix. And then his actions warranted a visit by the Anaheim Police Department, who went about their well-trained and profesional delivery of whatever action they deem neccesary.

Whether this gentleman is a gay man from San Diego, or a two-headed purple Communist from Mars doesn't make much difference. His actions are what got him the police response that he got.

He sounds like the type of guy that brings unneccesary drama and trouble wherever he goes. And since he went to Disneyland on this day, he brought all of that with him as well.

Lightbulb Re: An Antigay Incident at Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    After reading this article, it's hard to form any opinion on the matter. Disney seems like they overreacted and the gay issue here doesn't seem to be the obvious issue.

My biggest problem is this:
    Again, what you quoted was said by a friend of the guys who were causing the problem. There's no way to know exactly what was said unless it was recorded. It's a normal he said/she said issue.
    One of Kenney's friends at Disneyland was Brian van de Mark...

...according to Van de Mark, Van Noy told the group that she "could not remember whether the cast member [who contacted Disney security] said she was threatened, felt threatened, or was offended," and that she then added, "It doesn't make a difference anyway."

Doughty [Disney CM] could not confirm that Van Noy used those words.
    Bottom line is- don't act stupid and you won't have problems with security. Go to Disneyland this coming up Saturday and notice all the red shirts, security has no problems with them.
    Last edited by Wesley815; 09-30-2007 at 01:10 PM.
    -Wes

Talking Re: An Antigay Incident at Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley815 View Post
    notice all the red shirts, security has no problems with them.
    Is that because they tend to die before the first commercial break?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast