Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• Minion

Re: An Antigay Incident at Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainTeach View Post
    Lighten up, lighten up. Of course not. 'Twas exaggeration for the purpose of commentary vis a vis satire. Kapish?

My point is, Disney is very supportive of gays, and they employ a great number of openly gay people. I dont think anyone would think for one minute that Disney likes their security force to started incidents with guests just because they are gay.

Geez Jeff. Got a burr under your saddle or smthing?
    No, I just don't think that saying that half the cast members are gay at Disneyland is relavent to this matter. Saying that Disney is very supportive of gays is true, Disney loves diversity, thats what makes it such a unique company to work for and be apart of. I know you probably didn't mean anything by saying it, but I just don't think anything should be generalized; be it race, gender, religion, or sexuality.
    Jeff Wayne

• Minion

This guest sounds like a troublemaker to me. And someone who enjoys creating drama and tries to get media attention for it.

Disneyland is one of the most gay-friendly employers around. Heck, we've even got openly gay guys on Canoes now. Just 7 or 8 years ago you never would have found an openly gay guy on Canoes. But now there are several, and as long as they paddle and pull their weight, they are accepted just fine. It's no big deal. Worrying about who is gay seems so 20th century to me. Who cares?

This guest who caused all this trouble seems to have some real issues and likely brings this sort of odd attention to himself wherever he goes.

• Minion

I can only go by what the company has seemed to stand for in the past, and that is complete acceptance of all people. I have never seen anything other than that in all my years of going to the park. This is a fair company in that respect.
    I think it had more to do with a misunderstanding of some perceived threat or something. They won't come out and apologize if it will make it seem they were indeed acting homophobic. I don't this is a case of prejudice here.
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

• Minion

I only know 2 things for sure about this story that smells fishy. #1, I REALLY REALLY dont see Disney staff detaining people in front of guest's. If there was a problem, im sure they would be pulled quickly in-doors or backstage. #2, with how popular Gaydays is, and how many there have been WITHOUT incident (and trust me, we would of heard it!), I really doubt a CM would of picked this one couple out today. If there was a CM who so openly hated gays, im sure he/she would of had a frield day during any of the last Gaydays.

Im sure this is just a misunderstanding, or it could be a CM who, in a crowd, thought he/she saw something like a god. It could be some bitter guy who was having a bad day, waiting in line, and just snapped when security questioned him. It could of been any number of things, but security roughting up a guy, in front of guest's, on stage, because he is gay, is NOT very likley one of them.

Gib

• Crusader

Sad Re: An Antigay Incident at Disneyland?

I am the activist formerly known as Andrew Exler who overturned Disneyland's ban on same-sex dancing in the 1980s. While am certainly no expert, I have had many dealings with Disney officials before, during, and after my lawsuit.

In the instant matter, where the guys from San Diego said they had a problem, I find many things very curious, especially now that several days have passed since The Advocate published the article online.

I see absolutely no mainstream media covering the story (which doesn't mean it's so), but I subscribe to news alerts for both Google and Yahoo! and all I see is a replication of the article from The Advocate. Why isn't the mainstream media covering this terrible thing that happened to these gay men?

Why do the people involved have a "media spokesperson" who claims to be the owner of some business involved with social justice issues, but I can't find a web site for him or seem to contact him in any manner. Someone by the same name wrote an article for a San Diego gay newspaper, and my e-mail to the publisher go unanswered.

Also, I find it odd that someone supposedly involved with social justice issues would be shopping at Downtown Disney (or even give one dime to Disney) since all the crap they sell is made by slaves in other countries. Not quite sure what social justice this "media spokesperson" is promoting.

Why is Disney apologizing? Where's the letter? Where's the press conference? Where's the lawsuit? If this incident is as bad as it sounded to me while reading the article, forget about an apology, you sue Disneyland (and the Anaheim Police Department) for a ton of money, not put out an exclusive story for The Advocate.

Disney security guards were obnoxious to me and my male date in 1980 when they ejected us from the amusement park for dancing together. The comments they made to us were very anti-gay (as was the dance policy).
    I am not one to say, "Well, that was in the 1980s, it was to be expected." Disney officials and the attorneys were rude, arrogant, and holier-than-thou every step of the way.

In 1988, some college boys were told they couldn't "touch dance" (slow dance) at Videopolis. Lord only knows why the VJ would play a slow tune at Videopolis in the first place, but he did. One of the guys asked the security officer, "Well, what about the Exler case?" The guard replied that slow dancing was "reserved for heterosexual couples only."

When one of the boys contacted me, I managed to set up a meeting at Disneyland with all the players and a civil rights attorney. Of course, the Disney folks all played dumb. "What incident? We aren't aware of any such thing." Like the morons they were at the time, they refused to apologize to the boys, and a suit followed. It was settled about a year later for an undisclosed amount. My jury verdict in 1984, against Disney, didn't involve any money, only a change in policy, which was how I wanted it.

In 1989, nearly nine years to the day after being ejected, I organized a "dance reunion" to basically test the park's new policy that permitted same-sex dancing for everyone. Security was great to us, even checking to make sure that everything was okay, and that no guests were bothering us. They were singing an entirely different tune than in 1980.

A subsequent reunion, however, did not fare as well. While we were dancing, one of the guests (not in our party) asked a female security officer, "Why all these guys were dancing together?" She was overheard saying to the guest, "...I hope they all die from AIDS."

I was furious when one of my friends reported the matter to me and we spoke to a supervisor, but were NOT at all happy with whatever was said to us. I later wrote to the then-Disneyland president at the time and demanded an apology. A reply was received, but it was the usual: "Well, nothing happened, but if it did, we apologize for you thinking something happened."

If the incident with the San Diego guys happened the way it was described in The Advocate, then that explains Disney's so-called prompt apology to the people involved. However, in my mind, if it were really serious, apologies from the Tragic Kingdom are worthless, and I would think someone would pursue this type of matter in court.

The bottom line is the jury is still out. We really need more information, but those are my thoughts based on The Advocate article.

Crusader
    Palm Springs, CA
    760-409-8139

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post

The bottom line is the jury is still out. We really need more information, but those are my thoughts based on The Advocate article.
    It's really the wording the accusations themselves that makes me go...hmmmmm????

They make no mention of any slurs or derrogatory statements made by Disney. It was the Anaheim PD that did the actual search. There were two other same sex couples and their children with the group, why was only ONE individual harassed? The media representative is very exact in his wording, saying things like it "may" have been an issue with same sex hand holding. He does not once mention there being any conduct or comments that substantiate the claim. The article is full of wild speculation on the accusers part, and very little fact based reporting.

BTW, my friends and I really enjoy being able to dance with our partners, regardless of gender at Disneyland...so thank you so very much!

Arrow Re: An Antigay Incident at Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHostJeff View Post
    I just don't think anything should be generalized; be it race, gender, religion, or sexuality.
    I agree! Not only in this thread, but talking to most of my friends, they always say "EVERYONE at Disneyland is gay!". That is so far from the truth. Ever notice how most people who make gay comments about CM's, don't even work for the park?

I've also seen/heard quite a few bad remarks towards gay CM's FROM OTHER CM's and notes left around (entertainment), etc... It's sad, yes the company itself might support everyone, but not the actual employees. It's not a welcoming atmosphere for some CM's, almost like high school. Turn over is also so high it makes no difference if someone gets fired for it, another body will be in the next day to replace them.
    -Wes

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I wouldn't bring Anaheim PD into this. If they were responding to a call saying someone was brandishing a weapon in a large crowd, there might be a little force.

Chad

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I wouldn't bring Anaheim PD into this. If they were responding to a call saying someone was brandishing a weapon in a large crowd, there might be a little force.

Chad
    I totally agree, but you can hardly accuse Disney security of the search, if they didn't do it. Also, if Disney Security had responded any differently to a report of threatening gestures and someone thinking they saw a weapon I would be disappointed in their performance. I think they did what they should do in such a case. The person crying discrimination in this case can't even say that there was any moment where anyone brought up his sexuality.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by bluejake01 View Post
    I totally agree, but you can hardly accuse Disney security of the search, if they didn't do it. Also, if Disney Security had responded any differently to a report of threatening gestures and someone thinking they saw a weapon I would be disappointed in their performance. I think they did what they should do in such a case. The person crying discrimination in this case can't even say that there was any moment where anyone brought up his sexuality.

I don't claim to know anything about the case, I only know how serious a call is taken if it mentions a weapon and large groups of people.

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I don't claim to know anything about the case, I only know how serious a call is taken if it mentions a weapon and large groups of people.
    I know only what each sides public statement was, and the verbage of the offended party's statement makes me question it fiercely.

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I'm always one for a heartwarming story so here goes, and it is somewhat appropriate. My Mom used to work Stores so that is where this was from.

Every red shirt day the stores almost completely run out of... red shirts... big surprise. There was a conservitive family standing in line for Indy...quietly said to the couple "Thank you, not just for the shirts, for opening my eyes and broadening my horizons as well." Then he bought a red shirt! From what I was told they made arrangements to keep in touch.

My point is that some people have adverse reactions to anything or anyone they do not understand. Sometimes if you take the time to stop and listen you see that life is about so much more.
    GREAT STORY! Thanks for posting this!

BTW I think this whole incident is extremely fishy!!
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    Owner/Travel Advisor - Magical Partners Travel
    Walt Disney Company Stockholder
    D23 Charter Member

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    I am the activist formerly known as Andrew Exler who overturned Disneyland's ban on same-sex dancing in the 1980s. While am certainly no expert, I have had many dealings with Disney officials before, during, and after my lawsuit.

In the instant matter, where the guys from San Diego said they had a problem, I find many things very curious, especially now that several days have passed since The Advocate published the article online.

I see absolutely no mainstream media covering the story (which doesn't mean it's so), but I subscribe to news alerts for both Google and Yahoo! and all I see is a replication of the article from The Advocate. Why isn't the mainstream media covering this terrible thing that happened to these gay men?

Why do the people involved have a "media spokesperson" who claims to be the owner of some business involved with social justice issues, but I can't find a web site for him or seem to contact him in any manner. Someone by the same name wrote an article for a San Diego gay newspaper, and my e-mail to the publisher go unanswered.

Also, I find it odd that someone supposedly involved with social justice issues would be shopping at Downtown Disney (or even give one dime to Disney) since all the crap they sell is made by slaves in other countries. Not quite sure what social justice this "media spokesperson" is promoting.

Why is Disney apologizing? Where's the letter? Where's the press conference? Where's the lawsuit? If this incident is as bad as it sounded to me while reading the article, forget about an apology, you sue Disneyland (and the Anaheim Police Department) for a ton of money, not put out an exclusive story for The Advocate.

Disney security guards were obnoxious to me and my male date in 1980 when they ejected us from the amusement park for dancing together. The comments they made to us were very anti-gay (as was the dance policy).
    I am not one to say, "Well, that was in the 1980s, it was to be expected." Disney officials and the attorneys were rude, arrogant, and holier-than-thou every step of the way.

In 1988, some college boys were told they couldn't "touch dance" (slow dance) at Videopolis. Lord only knows why the VJ would play a slow tune at Videopolis in the first place, but he did. One of the guys asked the security officer, "Well, what about the Exler case?" The guard replied that slow dancing was "reserved for heterosexual couples only."

When one of the boys contacted me, I managed to set up a meeting at Disneyland with all the players and a civil rights attorney. Of course, the Disney folks all played dumb. "What incident? We aren't aware of any such thing." Like the morons they were at the time, they refused to apologize to the boys, and a suit followed. It was settled about a year later for an undisclosed amount. My jury verdict in 1984, against Disney, didn't involve any money, only a change in policy, which was how I wanted it.

In 1989, nearly nine years to the day after being ejected, I organized a "dance reunion" to basically test the park's new policy that permitted same-sex dancing for everyone. Security was great to us, even checking to make sure that everything was okay, and that no guests were bothering us. They were singing an entirely different tune than in 1980.

A subsequent reunion, however, did not fare as well. While we were dancing, one of the guests (not in our party) asked a female security officer, "Why all these guys were dancing together?" She was overheard saying to the guest, "...I hope they all die from AIDS."

I was furious when one of my friends reported the matter to me and we spoke to a supervisor, but were NOT at all happy with whatever was said to us. I later wrote to the then-Disneyland president at the time and demanded an apology. A reply was received, but it was the usual: "Well, nothing happened, but if it did, we apologize for you thinking something happened."

If the incident with the San Diego guys happened the way it was described in The Advocate, then that explains Disney's so-called prompt apology to the people involved. However, in my mind, if it were really serious, apologies from the Tragic Kingdom are worthless, and I would think someone would pursue this type of matter in court.

Crusader
    Palm Springs, CA
    760-409-8139
    I decided to post this in it's entirety because I feel that breaking it up in any way would diminish the message. I am not gay, however I have many friends who are. On behalf of them thank you, for your actions and your willingness to fight. Part of it could easily be blamed on that time era, but if no one was willing to fight the status quo then that time era could easily have extended into this one as well. Thank you, and welcome to Mice Chat.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345