Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• For You!

Would you rather have no promotions or decorations?

I keep hearing all the complaints about the YOAMD promotion or the stupid blue decorations, or that there's not enough decorations, etc. Would you rather Disneyland not do anything new??? Just leave everything the same way all the time?

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• A Pirate's life for me!

Re: Would you rather have no promotions or decorations?

Beating a dead horse. Someone is always going to complain about something. Some folks just have miserable lives. As the saying goes, "you can't please all of the people all of the time".

Not even our beloved DisneyLand.

I enjoy the Park for the Park, not for the decorations/promotions.

If they want to dress it up for a promotion, so be it. It's their perogative.

I do like seeing the Holiday decorations. They add a festive feel to the place.

But I won't cut up my AP or jump off of the Golden Gate Bridge if they do away with them...

• Minion

I like them.
    There fine.
    People expect to much and they want it done right away.

its them dang aper's!
    Har har har

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Promotions are to be expected, especially for
    New Attractions, New DL Movies, Seasonal
    Celebrations, and for DL anniversaries.

the whole Dreams campaign doesn't serve ANY
    of those purposes. And takes away money that
    would be better used to celebrate those things.

I would have preferred that they would have
    added a Halloween Parade, instead of this dreams
    campaign.

• Minion

promoting and being festive are two different things. i visited the park one year and it was not a holiday and there was not promotions happening and the lamps on main street were adorned with sorcerer mickey hats! cute but unnecessary. i would just like to see the park stand on its own for once.

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

kinda what everyone else said.
    I don't mind promotions if they're done well. Ther 50th for example was executed very very well. YOAMD is confusing and random and we've heard many rumors about it not really going over as well as Disney claims it does. I dunno.

And I do like Sir.mouse's comment about seeing the park stand on its own.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Sir.Mouse View Post
    promoting and being festive are two different things.
    I agree. The 50th wasn't a promotion. There were certainly promotions going on during the 50th, but that was a birthday party. That was festivity. The YOAMD is a promotion. It doesn't really serve much of a point as only about 1%* of total Disney attendance will actually benefit from it. To decorate the park and continue to try and drive this promotion that influences so few people seems ridiculous to me. I have nothing against the promotion itself. I'm fine with it. I don't think it is particularly effective or the best possible decision they could have made, but that is neither here nor there. I feel that the money that has gone into it could have been better spent elsewhere. The parks really don't need anything more than TLC to keep attendance high. As long as they shine and sparkle and are clean, people will come. I think it's fun to decorate for holidays and festive times as that is not promotion, but holiday/party/festivity.

* 1% derived from a total number of 1,000,000 prizes ("dreams") awarded during the celebration. Disney attendance figures for 2005 (http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/200512/2/) for all 6 domestic parks was 63.1 million. Putting this out to 18 months gives 95 million. Bump that up a bit for the 2006/2007 figures (which have increased) and you get about 100 million visitors. 1 million prizes is 1% of total park attendance. If the promotion runs longer than 18months, then the actual percentage of winning attendees drops. Factor in repeat winners and the percentage drops even more.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Excellent mathematical analysis there.... except one thing:

The "1 million" number is bogus That's just part of the promotion tagline. The actual number is very different than that. And it's not just official "prizes". It's all sorts of magic making devices, including buttons. Those are touching a LOT MORE than 1% of our guests.

As a guest, I don't particularly care about the YOAMD promotion. But as a Castmember, I can tell you that this "promotion" has done wonders for the cast attitude, interactivity with guests, and creating guest service solutions. The Dream Squad doesn't just hand out prizes. Most of the time they are walking around looking to help guests with problems and so forth.

I really really hope that the structures and ideas and department that this promotion has created say around and become a permanent part of how the park operates. But as far as dream fastpasses and other prize drops, I don't care whether we keep them or lose them. The money spent on those could be used elsewhere. But the Dreamsquad should stay. They help make our guests visits magical.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by garbear View Post
    IPeople expect to much and they want it done right away.

its them dang aper's!
    Wow, way to turn a simple question into an "us & them" finger pointing fest.

Anyway, I quite enjoy the seasonal and promotional decorations. PirateMickey is right though, no matter what you can't please everyone no matter what you do (and no matter what kind of ticket they have to get into the park!) and so folks will be here to complain.

I do get the feeling sometimes that Disneyland could give gold bars out to every guest who enters the park for a whole month and some folks on this site would complain that the logo stamped on them wasn't very good or that Disney picked the "wrong month."

• A Pirate's life for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    I do get the feeling sometimes that Disneyland could give gold bars out to every guest who enters the park for a whole month and some folks on this site would complain that the logo stamped on them wasn't very good or that Disney picked the "wrong month."

WOW!!! You hit the nail square on the head with that one!

Aint that the truth!!!

• revolutionary waltz

Quote Originally Posted by GoofyDaddy
    Haha, too true!.

'nah, I love decorations and promotions! They're lots of fun and normally harbringer something new or interesting. However, I do have a caveat and that is there be something to celebrate when we deck Disneyland up. :]

New attractions, holidays and anniversaries (i.e. Disney's 50th or even Snow White's 70th, which I believe is coming up soon) are good things to decorate and promote. I honestly don't see what we're celebrating for with "Year of a Million Dreams," so I'm not too fond of it, to be honest, but it doesn't exactly bother me either.

Honestly this promotion is not needed, odd and really out of place at the happiest place on earth. I can understand seasonal events like Halloween and Christmas but a year round promotion celebrating nothing for the sake of nothing just seems... so store sales promotion tacky like a car dealership's promotion or something.

I'll be glad when it's over.

• Knows Where His Towel Is

It's not a matter of being 'needed' or not. No promotion is absolutely necessary. It's just another manner of attracting guests.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• "I Break Things"

There are times when festivities and promotions go hand in hand, look at the 35th anniversary as an example. They had an anniversay and they gave away cars and all kinds of prizes. Disney turns 50... and they just spraypaint a few things gold, anyone else feel cheated on this one? I also do not understand the concept of celebrating a year for 18 months... not great at Math but that number seems a little off. AND you don't turn 50 until you hit the date, I would love to get my paycheck 3 months early, or my tax return 3 months early, but I'm not holding my breath. To address the comment of the "park standing on it's own" it does, they call it "off season" when no one is around to see it. These days they feel everything needs a big promotion and to me it feels less like going to Disneyland and more like going to a used car lot! I love Christmas, but I don't love starring at a tree on NOV 1ST, what happened to Thanksgiving? We go from Halloween to Christmas. I think the only reason we even have Halloween is that people complained about having a tree up on Oct 31st! I do remember when the park was just the park and not dressed up every day of the year.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Live.Laugh.Love.Disney.

The same all year long would be very blech.......anyone think of that????
    SkItTlEs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast