View Poll Results: Sunshine Plaza or 1920s Los Angeles?

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sunshine Plaza? Yuck, give me 1920s Los Angeles.

139 84.76%
  • I love Sunshine Plaza, DCA would not be the same without it!

15 9.15%
  • I dislike both Sunshine Plaza and the 1920s Los Angeles concept.

10 6.10%
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Question Sunshine Plaza or 1920s Los Angeles?

DCA is supposedly completely changing its entrance from Sunshine Plaza to a 1920s vision of Los Angeles as Walt saw it back in the day...

But for all you DCA lovers out there, (I know you're out there, donít be shy to admit it) won't you miss Sunshine Plaza? I love taking pictures next to the CALIFORNIA letters, watching the monorail pass through the Golden Gate Bridge, listening to the great California music, picking something up at the bakery and sitting down outside to people watch or see the parade pass by...

I have no doubt that the 1920s Los Angeles concept will be very well done and amazing, but Sunshine Plaza as it is now is great too in many ways (although I admit that it has its weaknesses).

I imagine that Los Angeles in the 1920s looked like the Olvera Street district of Downtown L.A. that we glanced at while on vacation in SoCal in August. It was a nice area, Union Station was there and there were lots of historical buildings with a Spanish/Mexican influence.

I have mixed feelings on DCA's entrance area, but what do you think?

• Digging to Earth's center

Re: Sunshine Plaza or 1920s Los Angeles?

I'm not sure what to say... I wouldn't say "Sunshine Plaza? Yuck, give me 1920s Los Angeles"... but more of "I'd slightly prefer 1920s Los Angeles, but I'd really miss Sunshine Plaza".

I know, you can make fun of me now. I'd miss Sunshine Plaza, but it's not as big and grand as Aquasphere or Spaceship Earth or Tree of Life or Disneyland's Train Station... so I'm open for change after having seen other grand entrances. First, I want to see what 1920s Los Angeles looks like, then see how different it is from Sunshine Plaza... then I'd make up my mind then.

So the answer is: We'll see. I'd miss Sunshine Plaza, but I'd like to see what 1920s Los Angeles would look like.
    I am a rabid Disney fan. Possible future Imagineer (already designing rides for it)... I've only been to Disneyland. I'm hoping to go to Disney World this summer for the first time, and TDR might be possible in 3 years.

First DL trip - 1997

First WDW trip - N/A

# of Times I've Been on Tower of Terror (DCA): 68

# of Times I've Been on Finding Nemo Subs:
    Argonaut - 1
    Sea Farer - 1

• Future Imagineer!!

I think as much as i would miss sunshine plaza 1920s LA could look really cool.......

Keeper of the Dynamite Goat on RCMC

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

The Grand Californian Entrance to DCA is cute. And best of all, it does
    take you to a different place, a place that could be one of several
    National Parks. BUT the main entrance, the "Old Fashioned
    Post Card" that unfolds as you enter is pathetic.

And only a caveman would find the concrete planters and "benches"
    comfortable and attractive. The "main" weenie, the Sun above the
    water fountain, is let down. The imagineers did not use the correct
    definition of "WEENIE" when they built that useless icon. Why didn't
    the biggest weenie of DCA become the Main weenie for the entry, when
    DCA opened (that would be Grizzly Peak.) Of course, that's just one
    of the hundreds of problems with the layout of the entire park ~ and
    of course, changing the layout of the Park really isn't possible. Those
    are going to be problems for as long at DCA remains in operation.

• :)

i would love to see a 1920's LA....but then again, DCA wouldnt be the same without the CALIFORNIA letters or the monorail going thru the golden gate bridge. its a toss up for me. I never really liked the "California postcard" entrance, so I would like to see that go...it's just...you get attatched to the letters and the golden gate bridge. (or maybe im just weird like that)

i never really liked the sunshine plaza area. So i am looking forward to the new 1920s L.A. look.

• Knows Where His Towel Is

It's the difference between atmosphere that really counts. Sunshine Plaza has a kind of upbeat, vibrant feel to it, while the new 1920's LA should be more subdued and peaceful.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• Digging to Earth's center

Quote Originally Posted by MiCkEy07 View Post
    i would love to see a 1920's LA....but then again, DCA wouldnt be the same without the CALIFORNIA letters or the monorail going thru the golden gate bridge. its a toss up for me. I never really liked the "California postcard" entrance, so I would like to see that go...it's just...you get attatched to the letters and the golden gate bridge. (or maybe im just weird like that)
    Don't worry. As many DCA haters there are in MiceChat, my opinion has always been that Sunshine Plaza was amazing. When I heard it might go back in 2003, I freaked out, because I thought, "What could ever replace it?"

Answer: 1920's Los Angeles

Now the challenge is: Would it work??
    I am a rabid Disney fan. Possible future Imagineer (already designing rides for it)... I've only been to Disneyland. I'm hoping to go to Disney World this summer for the first time, and TDR might be possible in 3 years.

First DL trip - 1997

First WDW trip - N/A

# of Times I've Been on Tower of Terror (DCA): 68

# of Times I've Been on Finding Nemo Subs:
    Argonaut - 1
    Sea Farer - 1

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

I'm not gonna answer because I haven't experienced the 1920's entrance

I am extremely excited about the concept of being transported to the "Jazz Age."

I don't mind Sunshine Plaza, but it doesn't take me anywhere. Main Street is able to create such a unique feeling and experience that as soon as I pass through those tunnels, I know I am in a special place.

To theme an entrance to the Roaring Twenties can help create that unique feeling that grabs me and lets me know I am in some place special.

I would love to hear 1920s Big Band music playing through the entrance speakers. I would love to see a well themed "speak easy." Maybe even have a little Jazz Club that we can visit. The OP mentioned "picking something up at the bakery," where a train is currently used as the entrance. Why not elaborate on the train idea? Traveling by rail was extremely popular in those days.

Like Sunshine Plaza, would LOVE a 1920's "main street."

• Banned User

I would really like to see 1920's los angeles. I think it would be great. If they planned it out right and they gave it a good design

• revolutionary waltz

I'm going to miss the Golden Gate bridge and the letters terribly, but (although I'm okay with the plaza) I'm looking forward to 1920's Los Angeles. :]

• Knight that says Nee!!

1920s L.A. will be seen in the current Hollywood section after the makeover from what I here, and I see no reason to extend that out into the plaza. IMO Sunshine Plaza serves a good pupose (much like DL's hub) and is separate from the Hollywood section.

• Sock Puppet

So I'm thinking 1920s L.A. looked like the Olvera Street district of Downtown LA that has a big Spanish/Mexican influence. Below are some pictures to give you an idea of what it looks like...

This is the only vision of 1920s LA I can think of, or maybe the 1920s Los Angeles that Walt saw was more of an old Hollywood..?

• revolutionary waltz

Quote Originally Posted by WDWizard View Post
    So I'm thinking 1920s L.A. looked like the Olvera Street district of Downtown LA that has a big Spanish/Mexican influence. Below are some pictures to give you an idea of what it looks like...

This is the only vision of 1920s LA I can think of, or maybe the 1920s Los Angeles that Walt saw was more of an old Hollywood..?
    I think they are more likely referring to the "glamorous" Hollywood of the 1920's over the gorgeous and historically important, but culturally limited Los Angeles. :]

Although I do find it odd since the 1930's and the advent of sound was considered the "Golden Age" of Hollywood, if I'm not mistaken. I guess they don't want to touch the Great Depression? : /

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast