Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

• "I Break Things"

Re: Anaheim now trying to block a 3rd Theme Park

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    You don't move next door to an airport and then start complaining about jet noise.
    Tell that to those living near Long Beach and John Wayne Airport!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

/\
    Don't forget Burbank.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey View Post
    http://www.ocregister.com/news/initi...lot-signatures

Can you believe this? If I read this right, Anaheim gave the measure approval without any signatures or anything that they required Disney and SOAR to have. Anaheim is really gone too far now.
    Are these people crazy? Do they really think low-cost housing will make up for the lost Disney revenue? Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Interesting. Anyone have any feel for how the Anaheim residents would vote. I would think they would be for a 3rd park.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

First off, the VAST Majority of the 2 Mobile Home Parks are still up and running. A few Mobile Homes on the edge of Haster Blvd. have been condemned to allow for the widening of the street, I think it was under 20 homes that have been bought by the city for the public works project.

Second, the property is RIGHT across the street from land Disney owns and has plans for a third park.

It is not out of the way, it is right in the heart of the Resort Zone.
    Last edited by Darkbeer; 10-02-2007 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Minion

How about we just move Disneyland and all the hotels around it to Nor-Cal?
    And then Anaheim can see how it is without Disneyland!
    Har har har

• Animatronic

Anaheim should NOT try and block a third park. If anything Anaheim should try to block more chartoon rides outside of Fantasyland. Now that would be proper government. I really don't understand why government is doing all the wrong things these days.

I'm still scratching my head over why it appears that the city of Anaheim hates Disney so much. Just think of how much money Disney has brought into the city, it's obviously in the billions! and will only become more if they let Disney expand!

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Incredible View Post
    I'm still scratching my head over why it appears that the city of Anaheim hates Disney so much. Just think of how much money Disney has brought into the city, it's obviously in the billions! and will only become more if they let Disney expand!

Long story short:

The City of Anaheim paid billions upon billions of dollars for the improvements to Harbor Blvd, and the other streets in the resort district, they spent billions on roadway improvements and they even paid to build the Mickey and Friends parking structure. The City spent more money on the resort expansiont han Disney did.

When DCA wasn't an immediate hit, and after 9/11 hit, tourism hit the wall and the City, after spending billions of dollars to create the resort, had to sit and watch empty lots and parking lots and low density commercial businesses such as 7-11 populate the resort district. All the plans for giant parking structures, retail malls and water parks never came to be.

As I had said earlier in the thread, it's clear that the city is just sick and tired of waiting around for Disney to make decisions while so much of the resort district sits vacant with no tax revenue coming in.

In my opinion the problem here is far bigger than just that plot of land on Haster Ave. The City of Anaheim can definitely make things more difficult for Disney as time goes by. The City could definitely make building a third park in Anaheim impossible for Disney, so I don't understand why there's so much passion in keeping the resort as a whole. The only explanation I have is that the shrinking of the resort district is somehow seen as an attack on the success of the resort, and Disney can't have any of that.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    Anaheim should NOT try and block a third park. If anything Anaheim should try to block more chartoon rides outside of Fantasyland. Now that would be proper government. I really don't understand why government is doing all the wrong things these days.

True and simple points.

• Minion

Mr Liver,
    Your point is well taken about how much Anaheim has invested with all the improvemements. But again, for that reason it seems like they want to shoot themselves in the foot by turning around and wanting to build residential property of any sort there. Maybe they are just trying to push Disney into movement. Bad timing though, with all the budget tied up in DCA. And those issues have to be dealt with before they could consider building the third gate. I would certainly never consider buying property there. It is a resort district to me. Yes there are houses around, but it continues to be developed commercially who would choose to live there?
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

• Hillary scares me.

Disney only gets a chubby for public input on land usage if they stand to benefit from it. A public vote on SunCal's land? Sure. But a public vote on Disney property? Why, that's just city council corruption!

AND WHAT THIRD PARK?! Thomas Staggs, Chief Financial Officer of Disney, confirmed only a few weeks ago that the company does not plan on developing another theme park in the United States for the "foreseeable future."
    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...ans-77941.html

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by travelmom View Post
    Mr Liver,
    Your point is well taken about how much Anaheim has invested with all the improvemements. But again, for that reason it seems like they want to shoot themselves in the foot by turning around and wanting to build residential property of any sort there.
    Well, first off there is already residential property on the land in question, and almost completely surrounding that parcel of land.

This is a map of the area taken from the Official Anaheim City website.

In it you can see the Anaheim Resort area indicated by the Red Striped area, and the property being debated is the mobile home park located on the corner of Katella and Haster indicated by the purple boundary line.

As you can see from the map, the property is currently separated from the Disney owned property by the brown areas on the map, which represent land that is currently zoned for multi-family dwellings. So the area is almost entirely residential already, and all of that area is not zoned for the resort.

Maybe they are just trying to push Disney into movement. Bad timing though, with all the budget tied up in DCA.
    Well this is the crux of the argument. Should the city sit and wait for Disney to announce something, or should it just move on? They have a developer who wants to build something there NOW, or should they wait for the possibility (not a guarantee) of a hotel in the future?

Right now there's no guarantee that Disney will EVER build a third park in Anaheim.

So which is better: something built now, or the possibility of something being built in the future?

I would certainly never consider buying property there. It is a resort district to me. Yes there are houses around, but it continues to be developed commercially who would choose to live there?
    The answer would seem to be that those folks who work in the commercial district.

On the map above, if you are not familiar with Anaheim, the blue areas are part of the Platinum Triangle, which is becoming a high density commercial area near the stadium. Anaheim wants to build high rise office buildings to made this area the commercial center of Orange County, and to succeed in that, they are going to need condos and apartments to house all those office workers.

That's why this housing project is so much more than just about housing.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Long story short:

The City of Anaheim paid billions upon billions of dollars for the improvements to Harbor Blvd, and the other streets in the resort district, they spent billions on roadway improvements and they even paid to build the Mickey and Friends parking structure. The City spent more money on the resort expansion than Disney did.
    What a crap of BS!!! Anaheim basically spent NOTHING, they arranged a deal with Disney to get money through a set of Bonds, which were guaranteed by DISNEY (not the city) to be repaid by the 2% additional Hotel tax fee, and other government tax money, mainly the Interstate 5 expansion.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    What a crap of BS!!! Anaheim basically spent NOTHING, they arranged a deal with Disney to get money through a set of Bonds, which were guaranteed by DISNEY (not the city) to be repaid by the 2% additional Hotel tax fee, and other government tax money, mainly the Interstate 5 expansion.

This sounds more familiar to me. I don't remember reading about Anaheim having to shell out all of this money. Even if Anaheim DID contribute, I highly doubt BILLIONS were spent. And if it was on street widening and landscaping, I would see that as a benefit for the city, not the DLR per se. Perhaps Mr. Liver could give us a few links to give us some background on the "billions" spent by Anaheim.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast