Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jolly Trolly

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

Jolly Trolly

I had just mentioned Jolly Trolly in my Adventureland Thread, and that made me wonder.

Why exactly was it removed? And when? All I know is that it was a bit of a hazard and removed a few years ago.

Did they take down signage, stations, etc? Or is it eventually coming back?

• .8 miles from the park

Re: Jolly Trolly

i remember a toontown cm telling me it was due to budget costs

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Budget cuts and cost-saving played a big role. Pressler was trying to maximize profits at the time.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Again! Again! Again!

Ahhh, Pressler. Seems that whatever goes wrong at the park, we blame him. It's so nice to have a scapegoat!!
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• The one, the only...

Pressler LIVES! Oh, well. His mistakes just pile up don't they. Like dung on a hot day!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• On Autopilot

I thought it was because that because of all the conjestion that the Trolly wasn't a functional attraction or sumthin' like that... *shrugs* I don't miss it, but they should atleast fill in the railways

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market

I would not be surprised if it was removed for safety and people-flow reasons. Toontown is small and crowded enough as it is, and it gets worse when you put a trolley car running right down the middle of it. It shared its track with the only walkway in Toontown, which made things difficult. I remember it having to stop and honk frequently becuase people would just not move out of the way.

Nevertheless, I loved it, the way it bounced and its wind up crank and everything. It added some life to Toontown, or, to borrow a Tomorrowland cliche, it added kinetics to the area.

Much like this dancing chorus line adds kinetics to my post.

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy4
    Ahhh, Pressler. Seems that whatever goes wrong at the park, we blame him. It's so nice to have a scapegoat!!
    I love a good scapegoat!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• The one, the only...

Personally, I thought Pressler sold the Jolly Trolly on EBAY.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

• Shubisha

The trolly had a lot of aesthetic value for the theme of toontown. If toontown was bigger and the trolly ride was actually warranted to get from one place to another instead of walking, I'd say keep it anyways even if it has to watch for traffic. But because of how useless it was as a ride traveling less than 100 feet, it wasn't too much of a decision for them to make.

Attention Toontown pedestrians. Are you tired of walking? Are your poor dogs starting to hurt? Then step aboard Toontown's very own Jolly Trolly. That's right folks, let the Jolly Trolly bounce you up and down and all around Mickey's Toontown. 6 out of 5 passengers prefer the Jolly Trolly, and it's no wonder. No other trolly considers your complete comfort as completely or comfortably as the Jolly Trolly. So, toontowners, if you want to get more for your travel samolian, hop aboard and ride high, wide, and handsome, on the Jolly Trolly.

Toot toot, ding ding, ride the Toontown Trolly! It starts from here and goes to there, bouncing round the Toontown Square. Ride the Toontown Trolly, Toontown's Jolly Trolly!

It's clean, it's fun, it bounces a lot!

• Again! Again! Again!

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    Personally, I thought Pressler sold the Jolly Trolly on EBAY.
    Or maybe he took it with him because he needed new transportation because his paycheck wasn't as high!!
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

It may have been originally removed due to budget concerns, but it has not returned (and I'm sure Mr. Ouimet would have it return if this weren't the case) due to the crowded conditions of Toontown. It is simply not safe and they ended up having to constantly honk their horn at 5-year olds not paying attention who were about to become road kill. For what little value it provided to guests, I'd rather avoid the lawsuits and burn off the 1/100th of a churro a walk across Toontown would allow.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by pyrateslife4me84
    It may have been originally removed due to budget concerns, but it has not returned (and I'm sure Mr. Ouimet would have it return if this weren't the case) due to the crowded conditions of Toontown. It is simply not safe and they ended up having to constantly honk their horn at 5-year olds not paying attention who were about to become road kill. For what little value it provided to guests, I'd rather avoid the lawsuits and burn off the 1/100th of a churro a walk across Toontown would allow.
    I think that the description above is probably accurate, but isn't there a better way? If everyone loved the Jolly Trolly, doesn't it make sense to fix the design problem instead of throwing out a good idea?

I think it would have been so much better if it really was a functional transportation as a tour of Toontown. If they had routed the Trolly through the back sections of the land or on the edge, it would have made it worth the ride and kept the atmosphere that the ride gives. This was a flaw in design of the track not the idea of the Jolly Trolly!

I see this as the same reasons why management got rid of the Peoplemover. And we all know what people think of that decision!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

I really wish they would bring the Jolly Trolly back, I think it has lots of character. The way it moved was soooo Toontown!

Quote Originally Posted by pyrateslife4me84
    It is simply not safe and they ended up having to constantly honk their horn at 5-year olds not paying attention who were about to become road kill.
    They should just do what they do in Tokyo Disneyland Toontown - they have a cast member walk in front on the Trolly politely asking people to move out of the way when necessary.

• insufferable know-it-all

I recognize the trolley as eye candy for the area, but as an attraction I give it a big raspberry.

They'd be better off putting a trolley attraction in DCA, though lord knows what route it could take. I guess the parade route?

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast