Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Yo!

Re: Pixar Play! Parade coming to DCA in 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    Do you see "DCA" in those comments of the new stuff coming in 2008.

I don't, and if I didn't know, I would think they were being added to Disneyland, not DCA.
    No, I don't see DCA. However, I just reread the press release and I also don't see each "WDW park mentioned individually" like you claimed in your original post:

And one more comment, reading all this info (aka Press stuff), DCA was hardly mentioned, but all the WDW parks were mentioned individually... A very interesting comment on the attitude of Disney....

Therefore, I really don't get the point here. So what they don't mention the DCA name specifically....is it a requirement? They've mentioned it before (most recently the HalloweenTime press release)....it's not like they completely ignore it every time.
    "Keep Moving Forward."

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

How about the parades, it specifically says that Block Party Bash is going to Disney's Hollywood Studios Park, but just the generic Disneyland Resort for the Pixar Play! Parade, and that was the same paragraph. (adding Bold letters)

Disney•Pixar Parades Debut on Both Coasts: The Disney•Pixar fun will continue to rock and roll throughout Disney’s Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World Resort in 2008, as characters from smash-hit animated films like “Toy Story,” “The Incredibles,” “Monster’s, Inc.” and “A Bug’s Life” take to the street in “Block Party Bash.” Disneyland Resort will be the home to the new “Pixar Play! Parade,” an all-new Disney•Pixar-inspired parade that invites guests to play and dance along with favorite characters from hit films like “Toy Story,” “A Bug’s Life,” “Monsters, Inc.,” “Finding Nemo,” “The Incredibles,” “Cars” and “Ratatouille.”
    Let me quote the Press Release again...

...to live Walt’s dream and spend that night in the Disneyland Dream Suite inside Disneyland Park.

...On Main Street, U.S.A. at Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort.

...in the heart of Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort.

...an Imagineer-guided tour of Disneyland Park.

...Disney’s Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World Resort in 2008.

...Disneyland Park in California and at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida.

...At Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort.

...while at Disneyland Park.

...in the Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom.

...in Magic Kingdom in Florida.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by tcsnwhite View Post
    First of all, Block Party Bash WAS a success. Comments on people not showing up until the last minute and so on...this is typical for a DCA afternoon parade. It has always been like this, yet it does not mean the parade is a failure. The only DCA parade that gets crowds lined up very early is DEP.
    I decided to cut it off here because more then anything else this caught my eye. As someone who worked parade GC in BOTH parks I was constantly amazed that you could walk up to a good, not just decent, good spot minutes before a DCA parade. At DL we started early because the crowds started early... I can't completely blame the parade, some of it may also have been the venue. Disneyland tended to be more crowded then DCA, and this also would have a significant effect on parade seating. My comment about Pixar was that Disney seems to be taking the easy way out, and promoting Pixar, instead of being creative and exploring other themes and incorporating ALL characters in BOTH parks.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Note, The current Parade of Dreams has a very long route, and almost anywhere along the route is good viewing at Disneyland.

At DCA, you have 2 show stops and very limited viewing areas, and it is still usually very easy to get a seat just before BPB starts.

They eliminated one show stop, (2 now instead of the original 3), they cut back on the cast of the show and removed items in a "budget" move. If it was truly a hit, none of those things would happen.

The Electrical Parade hasn't been cut, and gets good sized crowds, and has much more viewing area than BPB. It is clear what the public likes and what it doesn't.

Here is hoping the Pixar Play! Parade will be better than BPB.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DOOM BGI View Post
    Wait, I'm confused. Didn't they already do a Pirate Suite at DLH? What am I missing here... ?

That's what I was wondering too, and it's full of stuff from POC, so I can't imagine what they mean.
    I want my cake back!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Note, The current Parade of Dreams has a very long route, and almost anywhere along the route is good viewing at Disneyland.

At DCA, you have 2 show stops and very limited viewing areas, and it is still usually very easy to get a seat just before BPB starts.

They eliminated one show stop, (2 now instead of the original 3), they cut back on the cast of the show and removed items in a "budget" move. If it was truly a hit, none of those things would happen.

The Electrical Parade hasn't been cut, and gets good sized crowds, and has much more viewing area than BPB. It is clear what the public likes and what it doesn't.

Here is hoping the Pixar Play! Parade will be better than BPB.
    I personally don't like BPB, but if it was as poor a parade as you imply, Darkbeer, why would they be shipping it off to WDW?

Certainly, there's an audience for BPB, and its a decent-sized one... otherwise would it have run for this long and would it be getting shipped to WDW?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    I personally don't like BPB, but if it was as poor a parade as you imply, Darkbeer, why would they be shipping it off to WDW?

Certainly, there's an audience for BPB, and its a decent-sized one... otherwise would it have run for this long and would it be getting shipped to WDW?
    I'm going out on a limb here and going to say that recycling is easier and cheaper the building something new from scratch. I'm not saying the parade is a total turd, I'm just saying it isn't overly popular and as crowded as some would lead you to believe. As to the comment about someone's promotion... Disney promotes a lot of individuals, some deserve it. I do not know the individual to say either way on her promotion but congrats, not so sure it was directly related to ONE parade though.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I'm going out on a limb here and going to say that recycling is easier and cheaper the building something new from scratch. I'm not saying the parade is a total turd, I'm just saying it isn't overly popular and as crowded as some would lead you to believe. As to the comment about someone's promotion... Disney promotes a lot of individuals, some deserve it. I do not know the individual to say either way on her promotion but congrats, not so sure it was directly related to ONE parade though.
    But if the parade is a failure, wouldn't it be a waste of money to send the entire thing across the country? Doing that has got to be expensive, and if it isn't going to help improve guest satisfaction or theme park attendance, then what's the point.

We aren't just talking about recycling the infrastructure of the parade floats and just designing a new parade on top of the old, ...from my understanding BPB will be essentially the same at MGM as it is at DCA.

Is it just a matter of thinking "well, it's Pixar, so it'll be popular?" or is it because it actually IS and WILL be popular?

Another interesting point is the reduced number of show stops. Is it because the parade is unpopular? Or is it because DCA is unpopular?

I dont know... Again, I personally despise BPB and can't wait for it to leave California. But I'm not going to disccount its popularity if it has it just because I don't like it....

| | |

• Yo!

I think the "popularity" of the parade is up to one's interpretation, and nothing more. It's unfair to say the parade route has been uncrowded in recent months, especially when I saw the parade in April of all months and could not find a decent spot 5 mins. before the parade started as some have claimed it's possible to do whenever you please. I only managed to get a somewhat decent spot because I asked a family if I could stand near them (I was by myself, anyways).

How about the parades, it specifically says that Block Party Bash is going to Disney's Hollywood Studios Park, but just the generic Disneyland Resort for the Pixar Play! Parade, and that was the same paragraph. (adding Bold letters)

Let me quote the Press Release again...
    True, they don't mention DCA, but they still don't mention Epcot and Animal Kingdom either like you originally claimed they did. In the end, does it really matter whether or not they mention DCA? It's not like this is a DLR-specific press release. Like I said before, when they released details for HalloweenTime they didn't "ignore" DCA at all in the press release. I'm still not understanding the logic here. It proves nothing about the park whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer

Hey now......a few things to clear up.

1.) The Electrical Parade was cut, they just did it before the parade debuted (or redebuted) in DCA. The entire Pinocchio unit was removed, as well as the Dwarf's Mine float. And DEP is considered a "popular" parade, too.

2.) The decision to cut the show stops was made very early on; the 3 show stops didn't last beyond the first summer in '05 if my memory serves me correctly. They only did that because the 2nd, middle stop wasn't really needed because it was so close to the first one. Even with only 2 stops, there's still plenty of viewing space because DCA's parade route is so wide.

3.) The decision to cut down the parade (as much as I disliked the move) was supposedly done because of liability issues with the performers. While they did cut the number of performers, did it hinder the experience? Not in the least.
    "Keep Moving Forward."

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by 1FoolishMortal View Post
    True, they don't mention DCA, but they still don't mention Epcot and Animal Kingdom either like you originally claimed they did. In the end, does it really matter whether or not they mention DCA? It's not like this is a DLR-specific press release. Like I said before, when they released details for HalloweenTime they didn't "ignore" DCA at all in the press release. I'm still not understanding the logic here. It proves nothing about the park whatsoever.
    Ah, but the point was that they specifically mentioned all of the parks that are getting new shows, attractions, parades, etc - except DCA. DCA is the only park that is getting something new that is NOT mentioned by name here.

| | |

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey View Post
    Good point Darkbeer. They trick you into thinking it be at Disneyland. Then when you get there WHAM! it's in DCA.
    I think its because they are still trying to engrain into people's mind the 'RESORT' concept. It's already well established in Florida.. so no need to beat the PR drum about it.. but people still see Anaheim as DL + DCA. Disney has a image they are trying to build.. and obviously still trying to push the concept.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I think its because they are still trying to engrain into people's mind the 'RESORT' concept. It's already well established in Florida.. so no need to beat the PR drum about it.. but people still see Anaheim as DL + DCA. Disney has a image they are trying to build.. and obviously still trying to push the concept.
    I don't buy that argument.

If they were pushing for the So Cal audience to buy into the whole "Resort" branding, then we wouldn't see bilboards and advertising like this where "Disneyland" is heavily emphasised and "Resort" is practically not even there. Granted, these are images from an old campaign, but current marketing is still pretty similar.

[photos Darkbeer, from 1/19/06.

| | |

• Pilot EdForceOne

But if the parade is a failure, wouldn't it be a waste of money to send the entire thing across the country? Doing that has got to be expensive, and if it isn't going to help improve guest satisfaction or theme park attendance, then what's the point.

We aren't just talking about recycling the infrastructure of the parade floats and just designing a new parade on top of the old, ...from my understanding BPB will be essentially the same at MGM as it is at DCA.
    Have you ever seen the pathetic parades in MGM? It really is bad plus I don't really think there is much great viewing areas for the parade. The streets aren't lined with seating/benchs, etc. I've never seen a parade there that I liked and they all seem forced there.

And as for shipping a show.. sending a couple dozen semi's is pretty affordable compared to months of creative work, costuming, construction, scoring, etc. Trucking is the cheapest form of transportation out there. The cost of the disassembly and shipping of the show is easily spread over the life of the show as well.

Remember.. they truck stuff from Cali to FL all the time

Am I evil? yes, I am

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Have you ever seen the pathetic parades in MGM? It really is bad plus I don't really think there is much great viewing areas for the parade. The streets aren't lined with seating/benchs, etc. I've never seen a parade there that I liked and they all seem forced there.

And as for shipping a show.. sending a couple dozen semi's is pretty affordable compared to months of creative work, costuming, construction, scoring, etc. Trucking is the cheapest form of transportation out there. The cost of the disassembly and shipping of the show is easily spread over the life of the show as well.

Remember.. they truck stuff from Cali to FL all the time
    Good points.

| | |

• Pilot EdForceOne

I don't buy that argument.

If they were pushing for the So Cal audience to buy into the whole "Resort" branding, then we wouldn't see bilboards and advertising like this where "Disneyland" is heavily emphasised and "Resort" is practically not even there. Granted, these are images from an old campaign, but current marketing is still pretty similar.
    I hear you.. but Press Releases are for industry and press.. not really consumers. It's an image thing I'm sure with the analyst-types. They probably are pressured to build destinations... or the whole thing could be to simply try to avoid DCA questions.

They are just press releases is what I feel deep down. If you've ever worked in a company helping write these pieces of trash, you lose even more respect for them

Am I evil? yes, I am

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast