Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• there's always my way...

Disney Money going!?

Here is the inside info on the very much loved disney money, I have been told that the money that is in cirulation will be collected and discontinued and shreaded, no longer will Disney print money except for the 50 years commemerative money. So save them bills they are going the way of the pack mules. History.
    Come to the dark side,
    we have cookies.

• Puppy Cuddles

Re: Disney Money going!?

Why would they do that? It seems like they would be making money off of it considering they only have to print it. I'm guessing all of it doesn't get spent, meaning that they just made a buck off of a cheap piece of paper. When is it going to be discontinued? Are they still selling it in the parks or has that already ceased? What do you mean by they will collect it - from people (um, yeah right) or from the places that are selling it?

Sorry so many questions, I'm just curious about this.
    The King is back and he's ready to kick some tail. Do not mess with a mouse in black.

My guess is because the Disney Store is no longer owned by Disney. Most of the money was probably used in the stores since that is what they use as gift cards. By collected I think they mean any money that is spent from this point on will not be reserculated. This is really a shame, the money was very useful to me whenever I was budgeting a trip. Whenever I got money i would get Disney dollars so that I wouldn't get the chance to spend it anywhere else. I hope this isn't true, if it is it's a sad day

• CM for 4 years!

Disneyland has been slowly fazing out Disney Dollars for the past year. They gain no profit from them, seeing as how people exchange $10 for 10 Disney Dollars. Instead, Disneyland is switching to the merchandise gift card. I believe that they will all be destroyed.

You used to be able to "buy" them at any location. Now you can only get them at the ticket booths or City Hall. It used to be an easy way to avoid the atm. I think now, they'd rather have you just use the atm.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Basking in birthday love

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    You used to be able to "buy" them at any location. Now you can only get them at the ticket booths or City Hall. It used to be an easy way to avoid the atm. I think now, they'd rather have you just use the atm.
    Actually, since every location, including ODV, takes debit, you don't even need to stop by the ATM. However, when my friend upgraded to a PAP, they gave him $10 in Disney Dollars as a refund on his parking, and this was about two months ago.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• CM for 4 years!

Quote Originally Posted by aerinpegadrak
    Actually, since every location, including ODV, takes debit, you don't even need to stop by the ATM. However, when my friend upgraded to a PAP, they gave him $10 in Disney Dollars as a refund on his parking, and this was about two months ago.
    That is not true.

1. None of the Disney locations take debit. Only if the debit card has a Visa logo. Then it takes the money out of your account in a couple of days, like a credit card. When you pay DEBIT, you enter a pin code. When you buy something at Disneyland, you sign a receipt, like a credit card.

2. None of the ODV locations take debit or credit.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Minion

Aw, my mother and father used to suprise the family by giving us Disney Dollars, and hidden in them were our Disneyland tickets. Sure you could just use regular currency, but it made the Disneyland experience that more special.

• Hooterville, USA

Disney does make a profit on Disney Dollars. They're banking on the idea that people will collect them and never spend them. We all have some lying aroud.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

That is not true.

1. None of the Disney locations take debit. Only if the debit card has a Visa logo. Then it takes the money out of your account in a couple of days, like a credit card. When you pay DEBIT, you enter a pin code. When you buy something at Disneyland, you sign a receipt, like a credit card.

That's how I always use my Debit card. Any nice banker will tell you to tell the cashier at any store that you are using a credit card, and they will put it through as such, and you will sign. A lot of places charge you to use a debit card (much like using an ATM), but not to use a credit card. So enter your debit card as a credit card whenever possible.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• My Children's Father

I've been buying them at my local Disney store, so as to save up for my November trip .... they haven't run out yet, but the last time I bought some, the CM had a difficult time finding the envelopes that they put them in ........ perhaps they are being phased out ........ I may ask next time ........
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• The one, the only...

While I am a fan of Disney money, there have been problems.

First, the early bills were easy to counterfeit. That caused Disney lose some money. Second, cashiers did not like them because they had to separate them out from their regular bills. One really needs two drawers to handle them. Third, after they instituted the tougher-to-counterfeit bills, the cost of production skyrocketed. They did not get that many people keeping them as souvenirs. They had to destroy bills that had become wrinkled and stained. That increased the cost more. The bottom line, they were a lot more hassle than they are worth to Disney. They made a very small return on investment. These days, return on investment is the mantra in corporate headquarters.

Gift cards are cheap to reproduce and most people don't spend the whole amount on them. They are the wave of the future. (I don't believe that they are that much fun though!)
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• there's always my way...

Quote Originally Posted by rytheguy
    My guess is because the Disney Store is no longer owned by Disney. Most of the money was probably used in the stores since that is what they use as gift cards. By collected I think they mean any money that is spent from this point on will not be reserculated. This is really a shame, the money was very useful to me whenever I was budgeting a trip. Whenever I got money i would get Disney dollars so that I wouldn't get the chance to spend it anywhere else. I hope this isn't true, if it is it's a sad day
    You are 100% right, Disney will not recirculate the collected bills anymore and begin the shred process, save your Molla, it may be woth somthing 50yrs from now.
    Come to the dark side,
    we have cookies.

• insufferable know-it-all

Wrong. I know for a FACT that certain ODV-run locations take credit cards. The fruit cart on Main Street, just to name one, takes cards. I'm pretty sure that ODV runs the corn dog wagon, which also takes cards. There are other fruit carts around (Adventureland & Critter Country) and they take cards. They do not, however, give an AP discount, which blows.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• CM for 4 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Wrong. I know for a FACT that certain ODV-run locations take credit cards. The fruit cart on Main Street, just to name one, takes cards. I'm pretty sure that ODV runs the corn dog wagon, which also takes cards. There are other fruit carts around (Adventureland & Critter Country) and they take cards. They do not, however, give an AP discount, which blows.
    Tiki Juice Bar don't take cards.

None of the MOVEABLE ODV carts take card. The relatively permanent ODV locations do, but none of what I REALLY consider ODV.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

Are all ODV operations owned/operated by Disney or are there third party vendors?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast