• Done waiting!!

Plussing Pacific Wharf?

In covering the redo of DCA it sounds like we've heard about pretty much every area except Pacific Wharf. While it obviously was built originally to be a glorified food court (though what part of DCA wasn't really?) its turned out to be one of the better themed and immersive areas of the park. The only problem is its a little static. While the bakery and tortilla walk-throughs are decent if you need a free snack, they don't exactly have a huge re-rideability factor and everything else is a restaurant. Since both Mission and Boudin have contracts they probably aren't going anywhere for a while. What's already gone though is the Fortune Cookie Chinese restaurant, leaving behind its exorbitantly expensive neon sign. This leaves a decent-sized two-story building adjacent to the on-stage boundary. Seems like an easy place for a dark ride! Since I couldn't think of a Pixar movie that would tie in with San Francisco/Monterey theme I figured to go old-school and come up with an original idea.

You could use a ride mechanism like Roger Rabbit and make it a crazy tour of the streets/waterfront of San Francisco and Cannery Row and the canneries. Think Soarin meets Roger Rabbit. You could even include 3D glasses to make the close-calls with the trollies, cyclists, fishing boats, trucks, etc. seem even closer. The scent technology could be incorporated with fishy smells in appropriate places. The rides could vary with different projections along with AAs. It could at least be something for kids to go on while their parents get food. Just an idea! Anything is better than an empty building!

Any other ideas?
    I'm literally a born Disney fan! I was born at Providence St. Joseph Med Center right across the street from Disney Studios in Burbank. The same hospital where Walt died.

By the way my shirt in the pic says "I like big sharks and I cannot lie"

• Just this guy......

Re: Plussing Pacific Wharf?

How about a run-away cable car doing a crazy tour of SF? More like Mr. Toad.

• Can Only Wish For More!

Quote Originally Posted by goofypirate View Post
    In covering the redo of DCA it sounds like we've heard about pretty much every area except Pacific Wharf. While it obviously was built originally to be a glorified food court (though what part of DCA wasn't really?) its turned out to be one of the better themed and immersive areas of the park. The only problem is its a little static. While the bakery and tortilla walk-throughs are decent if you need a free snack, they don't exactly have a huge re-rideability factor and everything else is a restaurant. Since both Mission and Boudin have contracts they probably aren't going anywhere for a while. What's already gone though is the Fortune Cookie Chinese restaurant, leaving behind its exorbitantly expensive neon sign. This leaves a decent-sized two-story building adjacent to the on-stage boundary. Seems like an easy place for a dark ride! Since I couldn't think of a Pixar movie that would tie in with San Francisco/Monterey theme I figured to go old-school and come up with an original idea.

You could use a ride mechanism like Roger Rabbit and make it a crazy tour of the streets/waterfront of San Francisco and Cannery Row and the canneries. Think Soarin meets Roger Rabbit. You could even include 3D glasses to make the close-calls with the trollies, cyclists, fishing boats, trucks, etc. seem even closer. The scent technology could be incorporated with fishy smells in appropriate places. The rides could vary with different projections along with AAs. It could at least be something for kids to go on while their parents get food. Just an idea! Anything is better than an empty building!

Any other ideas?
    It sounds like a great idea! I love how it would incorporate all the technology used throught the park! :0)
    Took mom to Disneyland for the first time in over 20 years this week! Woo!
    - March 1, 2006

She screamed, cried, and laughed...
    - me too!

• For You!

I'd be happy with them just bringing back the Chinese food!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• I'm not wearing a scarf!

I didn't even walk through Pacific Wharf during my last visit!

Maybe they can use some old Jolley Trolleys and run trolleys through the area.

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Don't those factories supply the tortillas and bread used in the Disney kitchens around the resort? Might as well keep them on view, but they need a stunt show taking place over there on the roofs of the buildings, maybe themed to "The Sting" or some other Roaring 20's style shootout.

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Cue music....

Da Da Da Da Da Da, Da Da Duh, Da Da Da, Da Da Da, Da, Da Da, Da Da Da....

(The theme from "The Sting")

•   
    • Senior Minion

I've only been through that area once and it always seem dead to me, certainly could use some ideas like yours in there.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

It definitely needs a ride of somesort! And I think if they do go ahead and jettison the "california" aspect of the park, it could most certainly become "any" wharf. And if they do that, the possibilities start rolling in.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• official corn dog taster

put ANYTHING there that is not food..there i plussed it!!
    OLM!!!
    There is no better park than TDS

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Cue "The Sting" music.

• Banned User

Blog Entries

If they do decide to do something to celebrate the SEA LIFE off Monterey Bay, I say do an aquarium that doesn't mimick the real Monterey Bay Aquarium or rival the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach. Just make it an underwater Disney world with glass windows and fish swimming by, not an obvious 'aquarium' mock-up. More "Living Seas with Nemo" than "Monterey Bay Aquarium stand-in." Maybe something that looks a bit like Mermaid Lagoon at DisneySea.