Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My DCA Paridise Pier Lagoon Show Idea

Yesterday I posted a thread on my idea for the Little Mermaid Darkride in DCA. The Mermaid darkride (http://www.micechat.com/showthread.php?t=773) showcases a bit that I think that Disney doesn't need to take out the Pier and that they can do magical things too it to make it a much more exciting area of the park

Now I'll post what I think should be done as far as the most obvious problem of the Pier, the wasted land that they've put the water on, everyone wants a Fantasmic like show or some sort of pyro/fountains how. Well here are my ideas for what DCA could do for infulstructure for a Lagoon show.

Let's start with a picture of the lagoon

I've color coded the different types of fountains (this has to be the hardest thing I've mapped)

Anywho the yellow circle in the center is the exact area of the old fireworks island. I'm recommending to install a submersible projection system on the island that can rise and lower out of the water (or at least rise and lower out of the island)

The Projection system will be capable of projecting in all directions.

The light blue circle is a water screen type effect that would circle the entire projection system allowing for it to project images and scenes viewable in 360 degrees (aka no matter were you are in the Pier area you could see the image)

The Darker blue square around the Projection system is for a square type screen effect that would also be used depending on what is happening in what scene (I'll discuss the logistics of this later in the post)

the purple fountains are nice beam fountains that activate in different patterns and at different points in the show for effect, the beams could also shift colors a bit like the fantasmic like fountains

The light green lines are another full line of foutains (like the fantasmic like screens in type) these are used for a splash type effect to help with scene transfers on the screen as well as hiding the raising and lowering of the projection system

now for the brownish type boxes and the red dots, they work together to perform an effect similar to the ghosts running up those scrims in the Haunted Mansion, basicaly the red dot is a fountain type water effect that blasts a pillar of water high into the air and the brown is a box that then runs a moving projection up it (more on show effects for this later).

and finaly the little blue dots are tiny fountains that provide a few bonus type effects and a feeling of closeness to those who watch the show from the viewing area in the Pier.

Now for my show logistics talk. First off durring the day the wave effects would still work for Screamin and the Pier in general, however it would shut off an hour before sundown and then at sundown of course the fountain shows can begin.

The requirements are that all the rides in the Pier must remain functional durring the show but it must also be very impressive. I plan for any show utilizing this equipment to be primed for people viewing from the viewing area but it will also have differences in show and effects a bit if you view it from other areas in the Pier.

The use of the cirlce and square scenes are pretty obvious when you think about it. The circle screen effect would be used for if you want to show a scene that is vast and goes around 360 or if you want to have some sort of effect like Tinkerbell circling the Pier. The Square screens are for when you want to show a big plot event that everyone needs to be aware of, so for those you simply make it all a cube and project the same thing on all the screens so everyone can see it.

As said before the pillars of water and small projection systems wouldn't be used for video projection but rather they would project scrolling symbols and other such icons up the water pillar (you'll see now when I discuss show types)

While at this point I'm sure your thinking that there's no way this show could be as good as fantasmic, I would say that my idea is more of giving DCA it's own show to equal the fireworks rather then a big live action/pyro type thing, but the show would rely on plot a bit depending on how the system is utilized.

The nice thing about infulstructure like this is that besides doing variation on fountain type effects the projection system allows you to swap out the plots without much problem so the show could have overlays depending on what season it is.

I'd say to start the show out Disney might look at doing a Little Mermaid show (to compliment the darkride as well as several areas of the Pier ) A little Mermaid show could of course obviously feature ursula attacking the Pier in some way or another possibly with the assistance of other Disney villains. It could feature many of the songs from the Little Mermaid and the pillar/box effect would be to have shells and starfish running up em. They could also keep in large Little Mermaid sequences but do lots of ocean themed disney type effects, maybe even the wales from fantasia 2000 could appear (very fantasmicish I know)

Another theme for Halloween might be that while Jack Skellington has taken over the Haunted Mansion the hitchhiking ghosts have headed over to DCA, the show could feature Leota narrarating it as she summons the spirits into the lagoon. They could have Grim Grinning ghosts playing and project ghosts flying up the water pillars. Leota would of course appear between different show scenes. There would of course be Grim Grinning ghosts and maybe This is Halloween from Nightmare before Christmas , Disney could use other ghost type sequences from some of their classic animations and spiff it up with some scenes were the characters could dance run around and perform in a complete circle

for Christmas the show choices become more obvious, they could encorperate What's This? as well as other more classic Christmas songs. The pillar effect would work in reverse with snow flakes running DOWN them instead of up

and of course all the shows could feature tons of dancing waters type effecs along with the light and video effects . It might also be neat to use the round screen effect differently by producing only one screen on it but then having that screen move around in a circle (like the screen itself is running just by turning on and off the fountains in sequance and shifting the projection around to follow it perfectly)

anywho that's my idea, it's a bit more general then some of the others I've had, soooo...

thoughts? suggestions?

• That's Hawt

That's COOL! I like it!!! I do I do I DO!
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• Defeats the Huns

That is a REALLY intricate plan you have - and a great imagineering mind! I love the idea of all of the screens and everything! Would your plans include any type of LIVE entertainment, like characters coming out on boats or rafts (ala Fantasmic)? It might be a little more exciting to have characters come out (kinda like at Tokyo Disney Sea! I haven't actually seen the shows there, but I've seen video that looks quite impressive)!

All in all, I love this idea!

• "Retired" DL Tour Guide

nice setup, too bad you don't have Mr. Sklar's ear...
    -"We can see a new horizon...built on all that we have done..and our dreams begin another thousand circles 'round the sun!"
    -- Epcot: Illuminations "Reflections of Earth"

-"...Each dream that you chase, each wish you embrace can lead to a fabulous faraway place...!"
    --DCA: World Of Color

Quote Originally Posted by AP2CM
    nice setup, too bad you don't have Mr. Sklar's ear...
    one day I'll be an Imagineer one day

I like the fountains .. but having characters form Disneyland attractions, shows Disneyland park attractions and make the audince think abut Disneyland .. and what to do over there .. when you want their attention on the park they are in. The screens need to be bigger for the visually impared and the guy in the last row thats trying to see the show but cant because the screen is washed out and too small. If your by the Orange Stinger it has no view at all because the diffence in length from center island to land is a long ways away, I did like the fountian effects and the pyro island idea and needs a center point like Lumi's crown idea. But its a great show .. needs lasers and it wouldnt be a Disney show without some pyro.. like launch behind screamin with a fallout in the parking lot or visa versa. Lokks great , just my comments!
    Current DL Entertainment Technical Services

Former DCA Attractions CM

• the subs were cool maan

I know its stupid and crazy, but why not have a Submarine Voyage/20K ride in the Paradise Pier lagoon?

• Defeats the Huns

Ok well... maybe not Disney Characters -- but at least some LIVE entertainment of sorts... dancers on barges? I just think it might be a little bit bland if it was JUST a show being projected on water. I agree with there being pyro as well

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasmic_Freak
    I like the fountains .. but having characters form Disneyland attractions, shows Disneyland park attractions and make the audince think abut Disneyland .. and what to do over there .. when you want their attention on the park they are in. The screens need to be bigger for the visually impared and the guy in the last row thats trying to see the show but cant because the screen is washed out and too small. If your by the Orange Stinger it has no view at all because the diffence in length from center island to land is a long ways away, I did like the fountian effects and the pyro island idea and needs a center point like Lumi's crown idea. But its a great show .. needs lasers and it wouldnt be a Disney show without some pyro.. like launch behind screamin with a fallout in the parking lot or visa versa. Lokks great , just my comments!
    yeah, the little mermaid would fit if you did my darkride idea but I suppose you could be right on the Haunted Mansion show, but I figure that would mostly play to locals anyways (Halloween isn't that big a tourist season) but it would pull numbers away from Knotts with the familys and such as an alternative, as long as they capture the feel for all of Disneys haunts who cares if the Haunted Mansion characters take the primary role

and your right about screen sizes, I suppose my abstract shape makes more since o_o, I do think that the screen sizes for those in the viewing area would be sufficent, before I thought of the circle/square effect I had considered an effect were the screen's would appear to move out or grow I suppose you could manage to do the same thing with the fountains that are used to shift scenes

honestly, I know the view of it from were the rides are in the Pier wouldn't be the best. my goal is to not have to shutdown the pier, and I think that the Pier would still benifit from a pretty decent viewing or at least some nice atmospheric action in the distance

not sure about launching behind screamin but if it doesn't effect anything like the mermaid darkride or screamin itself it would be fine, also leaving some of the launchers on the island might do well then they could have a few small effects durring the show like fanatsmic does to close

I was also thinking that a few small fountains scattered in other locations would be cool for if the villian starts firing out of the screen, they could have pirates type cannanball effects (more modern of course) shoot up across the lagoon

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralShang
    Ok well... maybe not Disney Characters -- but at least some LIVE entertainment of sorts... dancers on barges? I just think it might be a little bit bland if it was JUST a show being projected on water. I agree with there being pyro as well
    true, I'm not quite sure, there isn't really a float storage area that I can think off off the lagoon but having some things like that might be interesting

I was thinking of having lots of other fountain effects that bring the show outside the screan to give it the feel of I dunno a fountains how with fountain TV's? I think if you time things right you could pull off some amazing suprises

• the subs were cool maan

what they should do is have a bunch of paddle boats, and theme them as sail boats (put a big sail on them) that way it would fit in with the beach "theme" and be a ride at the same time. You could use the old paddleboats from the old marina at the Disneyland Hotel

• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)
    Ok, I'm going to sound like the killjoy on this thread but let's tie it in with the overall theme of this park (or at least try) and see what kind of show can be done with regards to California.
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

Quote Originally Posted by Orcatime
    Ok, I'm going to sound like the killjoy on this thread but let's tie it in with the overall theme of this park (or at least try) and see what kind of show can be done with regards to California.
    nah I enjoy a good challenge

actualy been thinking about this for a while

theming it to an actual California theme would be a good way to unite it with the park more and is more of a creative challenge

doing an attack theme is always easier with show themes

you could always do a Soarin type deal with it and have it display 360 degree projections of California nature and locations in California

you might also be able to do a montoge of sorts with projections of different instances in California history and of course Hollywood (a twilight zone type deal even?)

origional music might be a good move too Disney has enough connections to get somebody to write a decent California type feel

the nice thing about the setup I'm suggesting is that it can be adapted to just about anything

just great music timed with water and the video sequences could illustrate different connections with California instead of doing an overall plot (which is basicaly what Fantasmic is)

but yeah it's hard to think of without ripping too much off of Soarin or Golden Dreams (though Golden Dreams is a bit too bleh for aw ater show but it'd be pretty funny for it to start out with "do you know who I am I'm the spirit of California" or whatever)

• Official Mice Chat person

Great Ideas.

It would be really nice to have the "spirit of california" host the water show! Just not ] Woopy Golburg! You need to ad something more that will separate it from fantasmic. Maybe it could just not have a 'theme' at all. It could just be an awsome water show! California has lazer shows and water shows, who says there has to be a theme and story? Just make it amazing, with a finale that involves some piro! It could kind of be like that old show in HPB, Blast. Just a cool FX show that has no story. Ad Some lazers, GREAT music, fog, and piro to water and you have a great show!
    And like you said, the show could change throughout the seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandrocks55
    Great Ideas.

It would be really nice to have the "spirit of california" host the water show! Just not ] Woopy Golburg! You need to ad something more that will separate it from fantasmic. Maybe it could just not have a 'theme' at all. It could just be an awsome water show! California has lazer shows and water shows, who says there has to be a theme and story? Just make it amazing, with a finale that involves some piro! It could kind of be like that old show in HPB, Blast. Just a cool FX show that has no story. Ad Some lazers, GREAT music, fog, and piro to water and you have a great show!
    And like you said, the show could change throughout the seasons.
    that's very true

I really like the water screen effects though I think it could be even used in non fantasmic like ways and a 360 effect would just be great for waterscreens (imagine a inverted circlevision or something like that)

the neat thing is that they can setup so many different sequences

it could be more like fireworks then Fantasmic with minimul story and getting swapped out for limited time offerings (like shows for Halloween and Christmas maybe even the Fourth of July could have a huge patriotic type deal which would be excellent *ooohh Fourth of July overlays would be great too bad they're almost impratctical for the busy summer seasons but some american flags and stuff it might be neat for the whole resort to do*)

a great theme that's catchy and written about California would be good they could take somce ques from Remeber but instead of taking you through specific rides they can take you through specific events and places in California

the most obvious thing would be a few nature shots of the mountains and nature areas perhaps with some peacefull music then they could do a shot of the cities or something and have the music really amp up the effects could be all different kinds of fountains and fountain effects big water explosions and everything would be great

I'd say to keep the pyro usesage to a minimal and instead focas on fountains lasers and lighting for effects

for me I think leaving as many rides open as possible is a must the show should NOT shut down the Pier area

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast