View Poll Results: Who do you think does a better job....

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Davy Crockett Explorer Canoe Guides

10 20.00%
  • Jungle Cruise Skippers

35 70.00%
  • Neither - Other (please explain)

5 10.00%
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Smile Davy Crockett Canoe Guides or Jungle Cruise Skippers

Who do you enjoy more, the Davy Crockett Explorer Canoe guides, or the Jungle Cruise skippers, and why?

• Minion

Re: Davy Crockett Canoe Guides or Jungle Cruise Skippers

I'm not particularly fond of Elitism by any CM with respect to other CM's and I have noticed more than a little (and in some cases A LOT) within both groups.

It's fine for some of them to have pride in their work and themselves
    . It's not so attractive to parade it around to others.

Last edited by JeffYardDog; 10-07-2007 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Changed second paragraph so as not to seem to imply was about OP. Was intending to refer to a generic river rat.

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

I know several AWESOME explorer guides and several AWESOME skips. I also have run into a few of each who are jerks. I think this is an unfair basis for a poll - they're two different jobs and the CMs aren't all equally adept. It's apples vs. toasters. they both have something to do with food, and I like both objects. That's about it.
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Cool Re: Davy Crockett Canoe Guides or Jungle Cruise Skippers

Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner31 View Post
    I know several AWESOME explorer guides and several AWESOME skips. I also have run into a few of each who are jerks. I think this is an unfair basis for a poll - they're two different jobs and the CMs aren't all equally adept. It's apples vs. toasters. they both have something to do with food, and I like both objects. That's about it.
    From a guest perspective, you have two boat rides at Disneyland with hosts who tell jokes and liven up the mood with their spiels. You look at fake animals along the way but it's not taken too seriously, as they are not very realistic AAs.

The main difference I see, is there aren't so many of them (cheesy AA animals) to point out on the canoes, so it's not the whole spiel. They can also make some light of the fact that they're making you paddle the canoe, and there are whitewater rapids and a train (DLRR) and other watercraft (C,MT) and an island to comment on. I think the spiels the canoe guides give are better.

I'm not trying to single out any cast members, I'm not one nor have I even been one.

If you don't like the comedy routine, you can always take the Columbia or Mark Twain which still treat the subject matter of cruising the Rivers of America seriously, in their recorded spiels.

• Imaginative Possibilities

it all depends, the jokes are differnet which may appeal to a different crowd, as well as those who are delivering the jokes. It depends on personal preference and a bit unfair to declare one better than the other. It just depends...
    You can't talk S*** unless your gonna do something about it...

• Pilot EdForceOne

The JC has a non-deviating show - the JC world is much more fixed. In that regard, they have it harder to keep it funny and fresh.

The canoes have less to work with (scene wise) and a longer time to entertain guests - but have a lot more entropy to work with. The flexibility gives them more to work with.

So I think the JC's have it 'harder' to keep fresh. Which is more enjoyable is always going to be up to the individual CMs.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Once A Skip Always A Skip

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    From a guest perspective, you have two boat rides at Disneyland with hosts who tell jokes and liven up the mood with their spiels. You look at fake animals along the way but it's not taken too seriously, as they are not very realistic AAs.
    Not any more...

I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned on othe threads, but it bears repeating.

From what I understand mangement has put the kibosh on the Canoe guides doing any kind of comedic speiling and would prefer that refrained from talking all together, other than "watch your step", and "please keep paddleing"
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

• Imaginative Possibilities

a canoe ride of complete silence? that sucks...
    You can't talk S*** unless your gonna do something about it...

• "I Break Things"

Wow CA, from thread to thread you seem to have it out for the J.C. Skips, not entirely sure why. Jeff, I know you and Trojan didn't get along, and I somehow stepped into the crossfire on that one. I never meant to have an elitist tone or attitude, and if my wording has conveyed that then I am sorry. At some point someone will bring this up, so I might as well do so now. Prior to landlock many J.C. Skips were Canoes, and many Canoes were J.C. Skips. Both locations require a specific type of person. Many of the comments I have stated about J.C. Skips can be, and often are, applied to the Canoes CMs. A lot of them were good friends, drinking buddies, and I would hate to draw a comparison. Many times the CM's would take their experiences and jokes from one river, and apply them to the other. Everyone gets into that pissing contest of who's joke it was first, but the truth is we shared a lot of jokes between the rivers. Personally I do not understand the point of this poll, primarily because they are different forms of entertainment, different styles, and ultimately different shows. You then toss in the variable of the skill level of various individuals and in both cases you can have either a great boat or a horrible one.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Okay here's how I am going to answer this:
    -The Canoe guys are buff by paddling all day. Some are actually hot.
    -The skipper guys are funny. Some are legitimately funny.

Do you like the action hero or the comic? Hm....

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Wow CA, from thread to thread you seem to have it out for the J.C. Skips, not entirely sure why. Jeff, I know you and Trojan didn't get along, and I somehow stepped into the crossfire on that one. I never meant to have an elitist tone or attitude, and if my wording has conveyed that then I am sorry. At some point someone will bring this up, so I might as well do so now. Prior to landlock many J.C. Skips were Canoes, and many Canoes were J.C. Skips. Both locations require a specific type of person. Many of the comments I have stated about J.C. Skips can be, and often are, applied to the Canoes CMs. A lot of them were good friends, drinking buddies, and I would hate to draw a comparison. Many times the CM's would take their experiences and jokes from one river, and apply them to the other. Everyone gets into that pissing contest of who's joke it was first, but the truth is we shared a lot of jokes between the rivers. Personally I do not understand the point of this poll, primarily because they are different forms of entertainment, different styles, and ultimately different shows. You then toss in the variable of the skill level of various individuals and in both cases you can have either a great boat or a horrible one.
    I thought I had put this to rest and that we had made our peace but it appears that some things and some people (myself included) don't really change much.

I don't not get along with Trojan, I don't even know him. I just don't appreciate the person he plays on MC.

You didn't step into the crossfire, you initially started it.

The bottom line is this attitude: "Both locations require a specific type of person"

The fact is they don't. That statement implies it's in the nature of the person while what counts is the person they appear to be when they are performing on the attraction. It can be a completely phony personality, they could be sociopaths in real life, but as long as they behave themselves and exhibit a persona appropriate to the attraction to a satisfactory degree then it works.

The way you repeatedly put it with "Both locations require a specific type of person" (in varying words) implies you either got it or you don't and you ain't gonna get it later. Nonsense. You might have it initially or you might not. You might develop the skills or you might not. You might have it or get it and still not like it or prefer not to do it.

As for the poll, what's the point of ANY MC poll ?

• white and nerdy

I really don't like doing the canoes.... I always get the person who can't paddle correctly in front of and behind me.

I think the best Cast Members are on the Tower of Terror.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Once A Skip Always A Skip

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I never meant to have an elitist tone or attitude, and if my wording has conveyed that then I am sorry.
    I did...

Didn't....didn't....crap.

Jeff, I know you and Trojan didn't get along, and I somehow stepped into the crossfire on that one
    Honestly, I agree with JYD

We don't know each other outside of the message boards and I'm not sure why this is even being brought up. Like JYD I thought we had managed to move past all this, and I realize he doesn't care for my style on MC, and like wise I don't care for his, but we agree to disagree and move on from there. I take pride in what it is tha I used to do, sure there are CM's who worked harder, longer and dirtier than Jungle Cruise Skippers. Maybe they even had the same level of camraderie and thier own version of a Jungle Cruise fraternity...but in talking to other CM friends all I ever heard was "we don't do anything like that". If my talking about Junlge in revered tones came off as being eliteist...then I make zero apologies. I've been called worse by much more important people.
    Last edited by TrojanSkippa; 10-08-2007 at 12:48 AM.
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanSkippa View Post

We don't know each other outside of the message boards and I'm not sure why this is even being brought up. Like JYD I thought we had managed to move past all this, and I realize he doesn't care for my style on MC, and like wise I don't care for his, but we agree to disagree and move on from there. I take pride in what it is tha I used to do, sure there are CM's who worked harder, longer and dirtier than Jungle Cruise Skippers. Maybe they even had the same level of camraderie and thier own version of a Jungle Cruise fraternity...but in talking to other CM friends all I ever heard was "we don't do anything like that". If my talking about Junlge in revered tones came off as being eliteist...then I make zero apologies. I've been called worse by much more important people.
    At my age I cherish my irritants and almost never move beyond them. It's accumulating a few favorite antagonists that make life worth living.

Some of those other CM's may have meant that "we don't get away with anything like that". Whatever.

Nothing wrong with talking about Jungle in revered tones; that's how you feel about it. It's talking about yourselves in such tones that's the issue. That fact that they were there and found joy in it doesn't elevate the skippers above anything.

And you could hardly avoid being called something by much more important people.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    The fact is they don't. That statement implies it's in the nature of the person while what counts is the person they appear to be when they are performing on the attraction. It can be a completely phony personality, they could be sociopaths in real life, but as long as they behave themselves and exhibit a persona appropriate to the attraction to a satisfactory degree then it works.

The way you repeatedly put it with "Both locations require a specific type of person" (in varying words) implies you either got it or you don't and you ain't gonna get it later. Nonsense. You might have it initially or you might not. You might develop the skills or you might not. You might have it or get it and still not like it or prefer not to do it.
    With a spieling attraction that is constantly in the spotlight, constantly spieling, hour after hour, day after day, if you are being fake you will eventually crack. As far as "learn to get it" yeah I'll give you that... but even then it requires the personal drive of someone WHO WANTS TO BE THERE, which relates back to that specific type of person comment. Other individuals may enjoy the fast pace of a coaster crew, Space or BTM, still others love the relaxing quiet places like Tiki or Opera House... Vehicles is a great example. This does not undercut any attraction or any CM but if an individual stays with the park long enough they will find their niche. Their seniority will allow them to chose that preference and eventually stay at that preference. So in essence, every attraction is a matter of personal preference, for those who ride them, and for those who work them. Ultimately the company can still move you as they need, but the higher the seniority the less that happens.

As far as personal differences, we both explained ourselves...
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast