Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Opus Archives: Carnation Ice Cream Parlor

Awesome Opus. Your posts are welcome here anytime!

• Dave

Blog Entries

Why are they removing Carnation Cafe? That would be like the fron t entrance without mikey! That would be like tommorowland with out the peoplemover! Sorry that already been done!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Who's Mikey?

Also, they did remove the Carnation Ice Cream Parlor. The Ice Cream Parlor they've got now is not as cool as this place was.

• Who Loves Disneyland?

Question Re: Opus Archives: Carnation Ice Cream Parlor

Great info!!!!!!!! Does Disneyland have any other ice cream parlor beside the Gibson Girls? I would love a sit down resturant that serves ice cream sundae's just like Carnation Ice Cream Parlor. Is the Gibson Girl's the only ice cream parlor in the park?
    I See SPOTS!!!!!!

Magic Kingdom 1992 and 2008
    Disneyland 1984, 1987, 1993 (3x's), 1998, 2005, 2007

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Just so you guys know...they still have Matterhorn sundaes. And they're amazing.

Thanks for sharing, Opus!

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    Hmm... but wasn't there some sort of carnation place at Plaza Gardens?
    Yes. The area of today's Plaza Gardens (Carnation Plaza Gardens) that has all the tables and chairs back against the rock wall, used to have a long building with many windows that served food and a limited selection of ice cream items. This was separate from the Carnation Ice Cream Parlor on Main Street. Gone now of course. Was the best burger in the Park, BTW.

Someone at California Adventure must have worked at Carnation Plaza Gardens in the past, because in one of the office windows above the Cannery area, amateur peeping Toms might spot this at night:

• Circle of Ancients

Cool thread! : )

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    Yes. The area of today's Plaza Gardens (Carnation Plaza Gardens) that has all the tables and chairs back against the rock wall, used to have a long building with many windows that served food and a limited selection of ice cream items. This was separate from the Carnation Ice Cream Parlor on Main Street. Gone now of course. Was the best burger in the Park, BTW.
    Oh, the memories of so many 70's and early 80's summer
    nights spent listening to Count Basie, Buddy Rich, Lionel Hampton, Maynard Ferguson, Harry James, Woody Herman, the Glenn Miller and Duke Ellington bands to name a few...with that ever-present Fantasia ice cream cone in hand...oh, how I miss the Carnation Plaza Gardens. Thanks for all the memories as always, Opus1.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by 101 Dalmatians Rule View Post
    Great info!!!!!!!! Does Disneyland have any other ice cream parlor beside the Gibson Girls? I would love a sit down resturant that serves ice cream sundae's just like Carnation Ice Cream Parlor. Is the Gibson Girl's the only ice cream parlor in the park?
    The only other Ice Cream Parlor on main street if you want to call it that is the Cone Shop on the east side of mainstreet behind the fruit cart. Though it is only open on busy days.

• Sock Puppet

The old Carnation Ice Cream Parlor reminded me a lot of the ice cream parlor in the movie "The Music Man". (Loved the Parlor... Don't care much for what replaced it.) I might have thought that the movie could have inspired the Parlor, but the film didn't come out until 1962 (even the Broadway musical on which it was based didn't open until 1957), so if there was any copying going on, it was vice versa.

But Disney did copy one thing from the film (about turn-of-the-century life in small town Iowa)... a number of songs from the musical play as background music on Main Street USA. If you haven't seen it yet, by all means do rent it from NetFlix. One of the best, with a real Main Street feel.

("Great Honks!" "Yee gods!" "Watch your phraseology!")

Quote Originally Posted by Fred S View Post
    But Disney did copy one thing from the film (about turn-of-the-century life in small town Iowa)... a number of songs from the musical play [The Music Man] as background music on Main Street USA.
    Just as an FYI..."The Music Man" tracks didn't arrive at Disneyland until the 1991 re-mix of the Main Street background music, which was actually part of the new playlists they were putting together for Euro Disneyland. At that time in addition to "The Music Man"...songs from "Hello Dolly" were added too (along with Disney's own "Happiest Millionaire"). Prior to that the background music was just a mix of traditional turn-of-the century songs and ragtime.

The feeling at the time was they wanted to add music from movies that took place during the Main Street "period" so that Guests might have a better chance of subliminally or consciously "connecting" with the new music. When Disneyland first opened, many of the Guests nostalgically connected with the old music. But as time passed newer generations had no or little nostalgic connection to the old music. So they added the newer stuff from the films to the mix.

Those 1991 playlists were selected by a small committee of dedicated Disney Imagineers including Tony Baxter and Eddie Sotto (who was Euro Disneyland's Main Street Show Producer), along with Disneyland's own mistress of music...Stacia Martin.

There was another direct connection between Meredith Wilson's "The Music Man" and Disney however. And that was when Walt's brother Roy O. Disney asked Meredith to personally conduct a one thousand and 76 piece marching band down Main Street at the Grand Opening of the Magic Kingdom in Florida in 1971. And of course Disney's somewhat painful-to-watch made-for-TV remake of the film starring Matthew Broderick in the Robert Preston role, in 2003.

• Former Cast Member

It was a blast to work there in the late 70's and early 80's. Oscar martinez is the best. he taught me well and was a good friend. Thanks for the memories!

^^ Welcome to Micechat Carnation Dave. Do you have any stories for us?

Adding an update to this thread as the Opus Archives just coughed up another old Disneyland Line Cast Newsletter from 1978 on the old Carnation Ice Cream Parlor.

Not much really new substance to be revealed or added to the subject in this one. But Club 33 Members and regulars might be interested in the photo at the bottom right of the third scan below, as it shows "Brenda Wall" serving a malt, very shortly before she was invited to join the waitstaff of Club 33...where she still works today almost 30 years later!

Enjoy!

• Banned User

There was another CM I saw in the photos who works as a server at Carnation Cafe today. It was Carrick. I've had him as a server for years when we have breakfast or lunch at Carnation. It's nice to see fixtures like him, and Oscar, in the parks!

Wonderful photos. I DO remember some of the old Gibson Girl. The photos flooded my memory. I love the prices too! A cheeseburger for less than a buck? Wow! ha!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast