• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Space mountian July 15th?

So all those fans who got to ride space mountain today on it's official opening, were there any new affects going? Anything new at all for the official opening?

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Re: Space mountian July 15th?

Nope nothing new, the asteroid was not turned on and no new projections. Though the meteor / asteroid on fire projection you can see perfectly now and not faint like before.

• Banned User

I rode yesterday on the 14th and did not see an asteriod effect at all... I did notice the revolving nebula effect you see at the end of the initial lift. Also, i *LOVE* the re-entry tunnel, but the first tunnel after the 1st lift, with the blue lights reminds me of the pre-lift tunnel on WDW's Space Mountain. Same effect of moving lights...Not too impressive for me. However...overall..I *loved* the new version of the ride.. It's dark! I'd hope for WDW to get a similar make-over.

Just so you guys know, the asteroid is a part of Rocket Mountain, as are SEVERAL little (also dark) lighting 'tubes' through the ride. Ride it with a flashlight, you'd be surprised what's in there waiting to be turned on later

Is it just me, or was I the only one that felt space mountain get faster as the day went on?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDap
    Is it just me, or was I the only one that felt space mountain get faster as the day went on?
    People have been experiencing this since the ride first opened in 1977. I don't think there's any truth to it though. Logic tells me that there's no way the ride is getting faster. It's still the same 32mph at midnight as it is at 8am.

• Minion

What I continue to read is that as the day wears on and the trains go round and round the track, the wheel bearings warm up, and as such the lubrication inside them gets thinner. The wheels then offer less resistance to spinning, allowing the coaster to go a little faster, but that it should be pretty much undetectable.
    My finger points.

• Official MC Thread Killer

Just thought I'd chime in while on vacation. I am LOVING my first time here at Disneyland, it's perfect!! I was there on the 15th, (for those who noticed, I was wearing a WICKED t-shirt and a red book bag) and slightly disappointed it didn't open at 8 (11 for those who didn't know) but I was BLOWN AWAY by this ride. I just thought it was super cool. Loved every minute of it. Can't wait to go on again tomorrow
    BLOCK - PARTY - BASH
    I'm gonna sing it; from the heart behind these hands

Please do not put on your safety goggles until you are safely seated inside the theater safely

I went on Space on both the 14th and 15th. I love it. Like everyone has already pretty much, unanimously, commented on...it's darker and smoother...but it does FEEL markedly faster to me than the original version.... maybe it's the smoother, newer track...maybe it's the darkness..or a combo of the two -but it definitely feels really fast. I also love that lift going up with the combo of spinning and starts seeing the nebula ahead of you combined with the music. I think that's really great! Only difference I saw between the 2 days were a few more projections... most specifically a pinkish-purple nebula inside the mountain... perhaps maybe I hadn't noticed it on the 14th, but I don't think that's possible...as I rode it 3 times on the 14th.
    Last edited by Tigger68; 07-16-2005 at 09:50 PM. Reason: puncuation