Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• /sigh

"Mickey" D's fries

I know the McDonalds fry stand has been in the park for some time now, but I don't know about you, but I'm always dissapointed each time I pass by the infamous McD's waggon at DL. I almost tend to lose that magical experience of losing myself from the outside commercial world (not to say DL isn't commercial, but at least it's all about DL). For some reason, I feel that DL should not resort to needing outside vendors. If I wanted commercial fast food, I'd head on over to Universal Studios. I wonder how long it will take before Taco Bell or KFC will join it's ranks. Is it just me that's annoyed or do we have some real die hard Mickey D's fans?
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

Left the church, but not the parishioners.
    I'm with ya - I cringe every time I see it, although I am guilty of having purchased those fries on two seperate occasions, due to a stupid craving.

But, then again, Disneyland has always had commercial sponsers - heck, they advertise and sell Dole pineapple juice right outside the Tiki Room. But, I can also see your point that McD's just doesn't have the "sophisication" of Dole, or Carnation, etc.

• /sigh

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile
    I'm with ya - I cringe every time I see it, although I am guilty of having purchased those fries on two seperate occasions, due to a stupid craving.

But, then again, Disneyland has always had commercial sponsers - heck, they advertise and sell Dole pineapple juice right outside the Tiki Room. But, I can also see your point that McD's just doesn't have the "sophisication" of Dole, or Carnation, etc.

You're right, there are tons of other sponsers (which I can't stand either), but as far as food goes, this one bothers me, Coke and Dole don't. Maybe that's it..."sophistication" or quality?
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"

• Disneyland Freak

Sponsorship is a HUGE part of Disneyland's history. The Golden Horseshow used to be the Pepsi-Cola Golden Horseshow with the pepsi logo emblazoned on all the signage where the gold horseshoe is today. Let us not forget the Carnation Gardens Stage or the Carnation Cafe... Coca Cola Refreshment Corner... Space Mountain Sponosred by FEDex etc etc. I don't see a problem with this stuff and I happen to think they did a great job with the theming of that wagon. Now why we need fries on opposite ends of the river is beyond me (Bring back the seafood to Fowler's Harbor!!) but I don't think it's that big of a deal.
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

• Baybeh!

At least its non-descript. It has not botthered me all that much.

Now if they try to get a whole McDonalds in the park, that is when you will see the scathing e-mails and letters fly!

• With my wife....

Can anybody say "Burger Invasion"?
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible because dreams offer too little collateral"

--Walt Disney

• /sigh

Quote Originally Posted by dlfreak
    Sponsorship is a HUGE part of Disneyland's history. The Golden Horseshow used to be the Pepsi-Cola Golden Horseshow with the pepsi logo emblazoned on all the signage where the gold horseshoe is today. Let us not forget the Carnation Gardens Stage or the Carnation Cafe... Coca Cola Refreshment Corner... Space Mountain Sponosred by FEDex etc etc. I don't see a problem with this stuff and I happen to think they did a great job with the theming of that wagon. Now why we need fries on opposite ends of the river is beyond me (Bring back the seafood to Fowler's Harbor!!) but I don't think it's that big of a deal.
    I despise the fact that sponsers are draping their name over each attraction. Remember those great Star Wars planet posters they once had at the exit of Star Tours? Now they've been replaced with cheaply drawn energizer bunny posters, which have nothing to do with the attraction. Unfortunately, it's little things like that distract me.

• Still wants to be a cat!

They had tried to put a MacDonald's in DL, but the MacDonald's across the street on Harbor was threatning all kinds of nasty things they would put Disneyland through if they even tried. Something about mileage between MacDonald's franchises.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Sock Puppet

Then what about Burger Invasion in DCA?

• Space Scout

I think it all depends on how well the sponser is integrated.

As previously mentioned, the Energizer posters after Star Tours don't work well. You leave a Star Wars simulator listening to the Star Wars score and encounter posters with the Energizer bunny and some cartoon aliens. It's a bit jarring.

On the other hand, Dole outside of the Tiki Room works great because (1) the Dole cart is decorated just like the Tiki Room and (2) pineapples are tropical, the Tiki Room is tropical... it makes sense.

The McDonalds cart sort of works because the cart is themed very well, but, for some of us, it's strange to see McDonald's in DL. I bet kids who grow up with it won't really think anything of it because they'll be accustomed to the McD presence in DL.
    Help test MouseMosaic! PM me suggestions.

• Sock Puppet

How true, how true.

• My Children's Father

Yeah, but that's DCA. Does anyone really care?
    Only enough to wish that Disney had the chutzpah to give McDonald's the heave ho at Burger Invasion, and get a sponsor that says "California" more, such as Tommy's, or In-'n'-Out. But I understand Disney and McD's go back a long ways .........
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Baybeh!

Yeah, but that's DCA. Does anyone really care?
    No.

Going to DCA has always felt like going to an outdoor mall with rides anyway.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

yeah, the fry wagon is ugly and annoying... but have you ever had any of those fries before?

wow, sure they're mcdonald's fries... but everytime ive gotten them theyre piping hot and just perfect. better than any batch of fries you could get at a regular mcdonalds!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast