Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Just splashing around...

Need advice on going to park w/a smoker with a bit of attitude

I will be visiting the park this weekend with a smoker, who has a bit of an "attitude" about his right to smoke wherever he pleases. He hasn't been to the park since he was a kid. Knowing of his smoking habit, and his attitude about it, I casually made an offhanded remark to the effect of "oh, you can familiarize yourself with the various smoking areas" to which he replied "that will be whereever I want, except on the rides". Um, ok... I am now a little uneasy about the prospect of going with him, because I don't want to be guilty by association if he lights up on Main Street or something, and I am afraid that if he does, and security or a CM approaches him about it, he'll be defensive, and again, I'll be guilty by association. So my questions are these:

Has anyone ever witnessed someone being asked not to smoke in a non smoking area, and if so, how was it handled?

Any advice about how I can better handle the situation directly with him? I've already made two casual comments to him about it and both times he expressed the fact that the rule somehow doesn't apply to him, so I don't want to bring it up again.

I want to have a fun day, I know he's excited about going, and I don't want this one issue to become bigger than it needs to be.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Need advice on going to park w/a smoker with a bit of attitude

People are occasionally asked to smoke in a smoking area. There are 3 areas easily accessable where he can smoke. Make sure you are close to those areas. I'd lets him know he can stay there and have a couple while you go on a ride.

Just make sure he doesn't get rude with a CM. They are only doing their job directing people to a smoking area. Good luck!

• white and nerdy

This is why I have a rigorous screening process for who I visit the parks with.

I used to be a cast member at Disney World and loved to point out the smoking areas to guests. Sure, I may have been a bit smug... but not on the surface, always nice!!! When people refused (seriously, who would refuse?
    "excuse me sir, the smoking area is fifty feet to your left."
    "I can smoke wherever I want."
    "Well... no you can't. It's against the rules."
    "What are you gonna do about it?")

Anyway, when they refused I called security. I then wanted to stand by and smile when they got balled out by security, but I didn't.

I'd just be open and honest. Say you don't feel comfortable being with him breaking the rules. It's the same if he wanted to cut in line or jump off the boat and hang out in small world for a while. Breaking rules is breaking rules. If he's a douche bag about it then go with someone from Micechat.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Well I think that you should be honest with him, tell him how you feel and if he blows your concerns off like he can't be bothered, I'd find a new friend.

Honestly if he is that touchy about the subject and doesn't respect your viewpoint or those around him, your day probably won't be enjoyed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee View Post
    This is why I have a rigorous screening process for who I visit the parks with.

Breaking rules is breaking rules. If he's a douche bag about it then go with someone from Micechat.
    Sigh. I know. This guy is just a coworker who has recently moved out here from the East, and wanted to visit the park. I was a bit surprised about his attitude when I mentioned the smoking thing. Otherwise he's a fairly cool guy. He already has his ticket, so at this point I can't really bail on him. I do have to see him at work every day after all... Hopefully once we're there Mickey's magic will take over, and he'll drop his defenses.

• Circle of Ancients

It's entirely possible he's just messing with you as well.

Just make sure to grab him a map when you get in and point out the smoking area's. If he continues to give you attitude I'd let him know your feelings on the subject. If he continues to give attitude, tell him to enjoy his day in the park by himself and you'll meet him for meals, or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    If he continues to give attitude, tell him to enjoy his day in the park by himself and you'll meet him for meals, or whatever.
    Exactly, and he will have a nice day with Security.

I'd NEVER go to Disneyland (or anywhere) with someone who I think might cause a problem, but thankfully I don't become friends with those type of people. I've seen CM's ask guests to stop smoking and tell them where they can go... sadly I've also seen CM's yelled at and then Security have to come take the person away.

Have fun!
    -Wes

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Well I think that you should be honest with him, tell him how you feel and if he blows your concerns off like he can't be bothered, I'd find a new friend.

Honestly if he is that touchy about the subject and doesn't respect your viewpoint or those around him, your day probably won't be enjoyed anyway.
    ding ding ding we have a winner!!!! I say leave him home and go by your self, heck it would be more fun. people with attitudes of " I can do what I want" are no fun to be with!

Sounds like trouble waiting to happen for your visit at DL with co-worker friend. DL offers a few smoking areas. Apparently he thinks he is too good for these? Or above everybody else?

So what does this guy do when he goes to a restaurant or any other place that doesn't allow smoking here in CA?

Yes, I have seen CMs, mostly security in the park, tell people that they are not allowed to smoke in the park except for the designated areas. Some will put it out, and others ignore the CM. It also depends on the CM; I've seen some really tough about it and I've seen some that are just going through the motions.

Good luck!
    Last edited by bloodnswash; 10-11-2007 at 08:25 AM.
    "This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." WD

"Women are the best judges of anything we turn out. Their taste is very important. They are the theatergoers, they are the ones who drag the men in. If the women like it, to heck with the men." WD

Individuality is a great thing....as long as we think alike.

• Minion

Yea it was on main street, this lady was sitting on the curb and a CM who was sweeping trash came by, and asked her to put it out. She did what he asked her to and that was the end of it.

If he starts trying to smoke somewhere he isn't suppose to, try catch him and tell him you guys will get kicked out.
    Maybe he'll listen if he really wants to be there.
    Last edited by garbear; 10-11-2007 at 08:31 AM.
    Har har har

• Still wants to be a cat!

If he does light up in a non smoking area, try to stop him before a CM does.

I think it is horrible, especially if the guest knows and does it anyway.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

This is what I have done in the past. My GF smokes but she is very pleasant about it and wont smoke around non smokers, but I have been to DL a time of two with the attitude smoker. First, its not just a Disney rule, this is California and its just plain against the law to smoke in most public places, if its not a state law then its a city ordinence. Tell your friend that due to the law and Disney's policy they will have to use the smoking areas and you are happy to wait while they indulge. If he says OK then no problem, if he continues with his "Ill smoke where I want attitude" tell him you do not want your day at DL ruined because of his bad attitude and it might be better if he just stayed at home, and mean it. If you need someone to ride with Ill be around friday and Saturday by myself and ill be happy to fill an empty seat. If you give him attitude he might just change his mind knowing you will leave him behind. Tell him if he lights up anywhere he is not supposed to you will be gone and hes on his own for the rest of the day, make sure you drive and have the car keys and tell him if he wants a ride home he better be at the car when you leave. You might suggest he bring some nicotene gum wiht him also because you are not going to spend all day in the smoking area waiting for him, your there to have fun not watch people smoke. Give him a quit smoking brochure also and some of his attitude back and let him know quitting might be the best thing to keep your relationship intact, especially when it comes to Disneyland.
    Steve

Thanks for the replies everyone! Ok, here's what I think I'll do. Every time we pass by a smoking area, I'll say "need a smoke?" and offer to wait while he indulges. That will hopefully be frequently enough that it keeps him properly nicotined without having the need to light up elsewhere. And it will reinforce my point to him that I believe the rules should be followed.

This guy is pretty decent otherwise (if he was a total jerk I wouldn't have agreed to go in the first place), he's not one that would cut in lines and do other types of "no-nos". I'll just keep my fingers crossed that his initial attitude is just a front, and he will follow the rules once we're there.

• Rock Star Minion

Options:
    1. Don't take him.
    2. Take separate cars, so you can enjoy DL after he gets kicked out. Oh, and bring bail-out money.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    It's entirely possible he's just messing with you as well.

Just make sure to grab him a map when you get in and point out the smoking area's. If he continues to give you attitude I'd let him know your feelings on the subject. If he continues to give attitude, tell him to enjoy his day in the park by himself and you'll meet him for meals, or whatever.
    I'd say that this is the best solution to this situation.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast