Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Re: Build a Bear Haters and Huggers

You don't even get to stuff them yourself?
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    You don't even get to stuff them yourself?
    You get to push the pedal that stuffs the bear. That's it.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    You get to push the pedal that stuffs the bear. That's it.
    Wow, yeah, totally not worth the money
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• I'm baaaaccckkk!

Blog Entries

Never been to BABW but have a friend who is OBSESSED.... doesn't appeal to me but they dont annoy me... I guess I'm indifferent
    <3 Chloe

• Evaporate, tall person!

I live in the Inland Empire of Southern California..
    Blog Entries

I've never had a chance to create my own bear.. but I have gone in there on occasion.. and I do own one as a gift from my college graduation.

It's cute.. but it's not as soft as I would like a teddy bear to be.. the fur isn't as soft as I usually like it..

I don't know.. maybe I'm just too particular about my teddy bears..

DISNEYLAND: It even makes science geeks look cool!!

• Waiting for the stork

Lets see...

we have gone to DL many times with our kids....we always give them a budget for stuff that they want to get...and a week after we get home all the crap is gone, lost, broken whatever...

so on our last trip, I told the kids their budget, and we all decided to try BaB....

The kids each made a bear and got an outfit...
    and I have to say,the bears are still prominently displayed, played with daily, loved hugged, cuddled and slept with. best $ I have ever spent at the resort (well on souviners anyway)

and by the way, we of course Dissneyfied them...they made their favorite charactors, Buzz and Ariel...and named them,
    my son has Buzz LightBEAR, and my daughter has BEARial.

and that trip, and those bears have a very special place in their hearts and our home.

as far as Libby Lu...sheesh, it's jut a cute fun little glitter filled store....and My daughter LOVES it. They made her feel like a princess one day, and she still has wonderful memories of the place. So much so, that on the next trip we went on she made her daddy go to LL with her....she made him get glitterfied, and they were silly and goofy and laughing the whole time....where else can that happen....My son and I went to meet up with them, my husband was covered in gliiter, and they were both laughing their butts off, and the pictures are priceless.
    It's just a fun store for little girls...
    sheesh.
    procrastibating

• Still lost in Neverland

I feel very sorry for those who say they hate Teddy Bears and Build a Bear. That means the Child within you is no longer there. I have built two. One Bear and One Rabbit. And yes I did all the fun stuff they ask you to do. I still have that Inner Child and I still love doing things like this. I have to be an adult in the outside world, but inside the Magic of the Disneyland Resort, I can be a kid whenever I like. I still hug Mickey every chance I get.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• ...the legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    Yeah, when I was little I went to the Basic Brown Bear Factory in San Francisco, and it's been around for ages. Actually, the person who started Build A Bear tried to buy BBBF and was in negotiations with them for a while, during which she was exposed tot he entire trade and signed a confidentiality agreement, but then she gave them a really low buyout price and the deal didn't go through. Then she started BaB and BBBF sued her for breaking the confidentiality agreement (and obviously ripping them off).

I love the idea of making your own teddy bear, but I will only go to BBBF in San Fran, not to one of the 300 BaB stores. It just makes me sad that something that was once special and unique to a few family run businesses around the country is now super-franchised to the point of happy meal toys.

Not too say that no one should go there, not everyone can to SF just to make a teddy bear, but I know I sure will.
    Yeah, we went there back in 1999 on a field trip for my daughter's Girl Scout Troop. It was very unique at the time and you can't beat the ambiance of course, but honestly, we've had WAY more fun at BaB. The clothing choices are adorable. The kids save their moolah to go there and buy their "friends" new stuff.
    I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
    That explains the trouble that I'm always in...

• "I Break Things"

Yeah, when I was little I went to the Basic Brown Bear Factory in San Francisco, and it's been around for ages. Actually, the person who started Build A Bear tried to buy BBBF and was in negotiations with them for a while, during which she was exposed tot he entire trade and signed a confidentiality agreement, but then she gave them a really low buyout price and the deal didn't go through. Then she started BaB and BBBF sued her for breaking the confidentiality agreement (and obviously ripping them off).
    I have not been to the factory so I will say this in somewhat ignorance but to my knowledge MOST stuffed animals are made in a very similar fashion. The difference is at BAB you pay to do some of it yourself.

I love the idea of making your own teddy bear, but I will only go to BBBF in San Fran, not to one of the 300 BaB stores. It just makes me sad that something that was once special and unique to a few family run businesses around the country is now super-franchised to the point of happy meal toys.
    If anything this is one of the few things I am happy about. In the age of making your own music library, fully customized cars, fully customized electronics, making your own customized toy makes sense. Prior to this you would need to order a high priced bear in a catalog and have it made and shipped around the country. Now you can walk in... and walk out... with bear in tow. Of course the catalog bear may be a much higher quality, but that is the price of convince and franchise.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

•   
    • Super Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    I feel very sorry for those who say they hate Teddy Bears and Build a Bear. That means the Child within you is no longer there. I have built two. One Bear and One Rabbit. And yes I did all the fun stuff they ask you to do. I still have that Inner Child and I still love doing things like this. I have to be an adult in the outside world, but inside the Magic of the Disneyland Resort, I can be a kid whenever I like. I still hug Mickey every chance I get.
    Indeed, LostBoy.

The Boy Wonder STILL, at the age of ten, gets excited about going to BAB. We only go to the Downtown Disney BAB, even though we have a store right here where we live. That helps to keep the experience special. My son rarely buys any clothes for his bears because he likes to feel their fur when he snuggles them.

For those who haven't been, the BAB employees do make it a very special experience. You pick out your animal's "skin" and decide which sound you want to put in one of his paws (of course, you don't have to get a sound). You take the sound and the skin over to the Fluffer (heh) who, rather indelicately, rams the hind end of your cuddly onto the fluffer tube. You pick out a little heart and the Fluffer will tell you to kiss the heart to put your love in it. Kids are asked to go through a little rhyme that mentions all the ways to love the cuddly and the heart is put inside. The cuddly gets stitched up and you take it over to the Blower (heh heh) to fluff up his fur. There are also brushes so your cuddly will look his finest. Up to this point, you can get out of BAB for less than $15. However, you must now traverse the gauntlet of cute outfits and accessories and that's how they get most people. Fortunately, we just pass right by and head straight to the computer stations. You enter in your new cuddly's name and a birth certificate gets printed at the register. Your cuddly and his birth certificate get put into the famously difficult to cart around cardboard house and a wonderful memory is made!

I love BAB. It makes people happy. That's a good thing, especially these days.

WW, who would proudly make a bear at BAB with LostBoy, anytime.
    Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab
    I still can't figure out where that strap goes.

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJenn View Post
    So much hate for fuzzy little bears!

Actually, if there was one store I wish would go away, it would be Libby Lu.
    How about the Anne Geddes studio?

ATTENTION PEOPLE WITH UGLY BABIES: Putting them in a flower does not automatically turn them cute!

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Personally I don't like it, but then again I am not really a bear person. I also never understood people who buy outfits for their kids, which in my book is basically the same concept.
    So you'd rather the kids didn't have clothes? (kidding)

Quote Originally Posted by IMAGINE View Post
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience, but from what i hear that happens alot...exploding animals and what not...so sad. Personally I love Vault 28, if anything it just requires a certain kind of taste in fashion to like a store like that....
    Meh. It's not Disney enough to have the Disney name. Kinda like HSM. They both appeal to the same audience, though.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Here are my critters names:

Phrosty ~ Polar Bear ~ usually wears a Hawaiian Shirt, but has a Pilgrim and Santa outfit

Phlipper ~ Penguin ~ usually naked, but has a Turkey and Elf outfit.

Jack Phlash ~ Monkey ~ Pirate outfit or Tinkerbell Outfit

Stripes ~ Giraffe ~ usually naked

• white and nerdy

The only experience I have with Built a Bear is when creepy obsessive girls (that I, for some reason, dated then dumped) would buy me bear after bear in hopes of winning back affection. Ha!! Fat Chance!

Seriously. There must be a "Creepy, Obsessive, Ex-girlfriend Handbook" out there that says build-a-bear is the best way to win back a guy. I must have gotten ten bears from three different girls. Crazy.

That said, the Build a Bear at Downtown Disney goes into the long list of Downtown Disney related things I don't care about one way or the other. At least the pedophiles don't hang out in front of the store window like they do at Build a Whore.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• DCA lover

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee View Post
    At least the pedophiles don't hang out in front of the store window like they do at Build a Whore.
    Eww! Seriously?

BTW, I cannot think offhand, what does HSM stand for?
    Edit: oh wait...it's that. okay

I don't like the Build a Bear store. However, I don't hate it. The only time I go there is when I'm with my sister and she is picking stuff out for her son's bears and puppies. Other wise I just keep on walking. It is fun to see how many people might actually be in the store though. We have seen the place jammed pack.
    "This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." WD

"Women are the best judges of anything we turn out. Their taste is very important. They are the theatergoers, they are the ones who drag the men in. If the women like it, to heck with the men." WD

Individuality is a great thing....as long as we think alike.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast