Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Frontierland Shootin' Exposition Re-imagined Using Woody and "Woody's Round-up"

I agree, totally, that the "dark rides", especially, are ruining Disneyland and seriously altering its character. Winnie the Pooh has the double whammy of being both a cheap dark ride and an attraction totally wrong for its location. Again, what Winnie the Pooh is doing in Frontierland is a mystery to me.

I do not even like dark rides in Fantasyland for the most part. Snow White's Scary Adventures and Pinocchio's Daring Journey do not do justice to the films and are simply not believable enough.

Accepting Buzz's occupation of Tomorrowland may be a necessary evil at the moment. His presence there is definitely forced, but the only way to make the concept work is if guests realize that Buzz and Woody at Disneyland are not toys, but are an actual space ranger and cowboy, instead. The problem is that we can't have one without the other. The thing that makes either character interesting is that he is part of a dyad with a tension between the old and the new. In some ways, this tension already exists at Disneyland in the form of Frontierland and Tomorrowland, themselves.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 07-17-2005 at 10:53 AM.

• Banned User

Re: Frontierland Shootin' Exposition Re-imagined Using Woody and "Woody's Round-up"

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey
    ENOUGH PIXAR! Don't give them any ideas about using PIXAR characters again! No more cartoonization!
    EXACTLY I AGREE!!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that "dark rides are ruining Disneyland" though some are better than others. As far as Fantasyland goes, the, frankly, cheezy nature of these darkrides harkens back to the beginning. Even though Walt said he didn't want his park filled with typical carnival attractions, he broke his own rule here. The center of activity consists of a carousel, an off the shelf "flying" ride heavily themed to Dumbo, and some funhouse rides... also heavily themed to his cartoons. He was building an entire park on a limited budget (sound familiar?) and had to make do with plywood in some places. But... they have become Disneyland classics. It would be interesting to see what could be done with them using POTC or HM technology, though. BTW... Indy, POTC, HM are also dark rides... just very, very elaborate ones. Even IASW could be considered one. BLAB (love that acronym!) is a little cheezy but by incorporating the interactivity is still impressive. Maybe the future holds an upgrade or two.

How did Pooh wind up in Critter Country? (btw... I've never ridden it so can't comment on how good or bad it is.) My guess is that they wanted to put it somewhere and some egghead figured out that Pooh is a sort of a bear...

BOING!

Hey... how about Bear Country! Huh!? Am I brilliant or what!?
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

I would say cartoonization is ruining the park. In 20 years, I bet all the attractions will be cartoonized in one way or another...or maybe it'll just take 10 years. It's just plain WRONG.

By the way, did anyone else think the retheme of Tomorrowland Terrace is the most UGLY thing ever? It had all those ugly Little Green Men and crap all over the stage. It was very tasteless and stupid looking, especially for Tomorrowland.

I'm against this it doesn't fit in the area

I don't mind the Woody plan Disney has talked about though I'd really perfer something more like Pocahantus then Woody

the shooting gallery is fine as it is I really like how it looks and it'd just be to bleh with a Toy Story theme

I don't mind Buzz in Tomorrowland and don't view it as a force fit though I'd perfer that they trash Club Buzz as well, the ride is much better then the show obviously and the show was a bad idea to begin with the ride makes since and will probably stay for some time

• FastPass n00b

I know this may sound like a stupid idea, but I miss Pecos Bill. I mean, I understand that kids today have never seen the animation, but how is it that a 26-year old can remember and love an animated character and a 16-year old can't? It's not like there's this huge age/generation gap. Pecos Bill belongs in Frontierland a whole lot more than Woody because Pecos is a legendary character, whose legend extends further and longer in the West than Woody BY FAR. People are so caught up in Pixar these days, they've forgotten that Frontierland once had characters like Pecos Bill and the Golden Horseshoe Revue/Jamboree.

It's time Disney returned to the classics and ditched all this Pixar stuff. When Disney was making a comeback in 1985, all you saw was classic stuff. There's a reason why Disney is where it is today and that's because of everything made during the early years. Pixar isn't even Disney, not that that's the point of discussion, but it really stings that the primary source of inspiration is a company that has nothing to do with Disney. Without Pixar, they'd have to fall back on the classic Disney stuff which is what I'm hoping will happen before too much longer.

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by mp3piratesavvy
    Too. Much. Pixar.
    Here we go

[sarcastic]Pixar is mean nasty and un-Disney as much as French fries, baggets and French’s mustard is as un-American. [/sarcastic]

Spare me! Pleazzzzzzzz. Every time I hear this anti-Pixar rhetoric spewed on this pages all I can think of is the parable of the 3 blind men who find the elephant and one calls the trunk a snake, the other feels the body and thinks it must be a rock and the last feels the massive legs and thinks it must be a tree!

The point is Pixar films are too new, and too fresh that we can't gain a clear perspective on the value or mark they will leave.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    I agree, totally, that the "dark rides", especially, are ruining Disneyland and seriously altering its character. Winnie the Pooh has the double whammy of being both a cheap dark ride and an attraction totally wrong for its location. Again, what Winnie the Pooh is doing in Frontierland is a mystery to me.
    I adore the Winnie the Pooh ride. But it's not in Frontierland, I thought it was in Critter Country?

And I'm sure I am in the minority here, but I just cannot see how the "cartoonization" is ruining DL. It's still every bit as magical for me as it was when I was a child. Even with all the Pixar stuff. It doesn't take away from the experience at all for me.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

The problem with Pixar characters and stories in Disneyland is that they are too contemporary. The Magic Kingdom is timeless, so Etch-A-Sketch and other such things do not belong there.

Buzz and Woody have been shoehorned into Disneyland to sell merchandise, just as Winnie the Pooh was jammed into the Critter Country section of Frontierland and just as Stitch was pushed into W.D.W.'s Tomorrowland. The only reason these attractions exist is to move plush and other assorted crap, and I, for one, am disgusted with the phenomenon.

It would be alright if Winnie the Pooh was in Fantasyland where he belongs or Buzz and Woody found their way outside the Kingdom; Disney, though, always finds itself in a bad way whenever The Company uses a business reason to justify a creative decision.

Artistic integrity must be paramount.

In order to make Buzz fit in Tomorrowland, Imagineering had to base the attraction on the fictitious television series from which he and his fellow action figures come. Doing so is a stretch, and, obviously, this scenario is not very clear to guests. But, the concept is potentially serviceable if Woody is given something equivalent in Frontierland.

I would love to see more of Pecos Bill and the other personalities I mentioned. There is an unbelievable wealth of material for W.D.I. to use. I just believe that as long as Buzz has some presence in Tomorrowland, Woody needs to be represented in Frontierland.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl
    I adore the Winnie the Pooh ride. But it's not in Frontierland, I thought it was in Critter Country?
    Critter Country, formerly Bear Country, is a part of Frontierland in the same way New Orleans Square is. New Orleans has always been represented in Frontierland since 1955. When New Orleans Square was added, Walt Disney said that it imagined the port city of the late 1700's and early 1800's when she was the "gay Paris of the American frontier."

The area was presented separately in guidebooks because it was new. But, the area never fully joined the rest of Frontierland in the public's consciousness because The Company kept thinking of it, and later Bear Country and Critter Country, as being separate.

Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, and the others, meanwhile, were all toys who only came to life in the imagination of Christopher Robin, who was decidedly British. The Hundred-Acre Woods was always a storybook vision more akin to an English countryside than anything found in Frontierland.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    Critter Country, formerly Bear Country, is a part of Frontierland in the same way New Orleans Square is. New Orleans has always been represented in Frontierland since 1955. When New Orleans Square was added, Walt Disney said that it imagined the port city of the late 1700's and early 1800's when she was the "gay Paris of the American frontier."

The area was presented separately in guidebooks because it was new. But, the area never fully joined the rest of Frontierland in the public's consciousness because The Company kept thinking of it, and later Bear Country and Critter Country, as being separate.

Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, and the others, meanwhile, were all toys who only came to life in the imagination of Christopher Robin, who was decidedly British. The Hundred-Acre Woods was always a storybook vision more akin to an English countryside than anything found in Frontierland.
    Well now, I guess you learn something new every day. I had no clue. Even so, I still see no problem with Winnie the Pooh being there, though, nor can I find any issue with the whole Pixar additions to the rest of the park.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12