Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Frontierland Shootin' Exposition Re-imagined Using Woody and "Woody's Round-up"

I really dislike the fact that Buzz Lightyear is currently gracing Tomorrowland.

I would like to see Disneyland keep "Toy Story" from dominating the Realm as the franchise currently does by removing the "Toy Story" elements from the Star Trader and Club Buzz and by having Buzz refrain from walking through the area.

Eventually, I would also like to see Imagineering develop plans for a replacement to Astro Blasters, but, until the group does, a counterpart in Frontierland is necessary. The premise of "Toy Story" is based on the tension between the old and the new, and the clear way to present this tension at Disneyland is by taking the Shootin' Exposition and giving it to Woody as a way to counteract the Buzz-ification of Disneyland. The Exposition is such a minor attraction that if Woody is relegated to it, he would not overwhelm Frontierland. And, since the two attractions are both essentially just shooting galleries, the connection would be very clear to Guests. I also like that Woody could help to differentiate the Shootin' Exposition from similar attractions in other amusement parks around the country and throughout the rest of the world. And, the trading post next door might be an ideal place for Woody merchandise to be corralled.

The re-imagined attraction would have to be based on the fictitious television series, "Woody's Round-up", in the same way that Astro Blasters is currently based on Buzz's story-within-a-story.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 07-16-2005 at 10:09 AM.

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

Re: Frontierland Shootin' Exposition Re-imagined Using Woody and "Woody's Round-up"

Do we need even more cartoonization?

Then again, your point about Shooting Gallery being minor/Woody wouldn't overwhelm the land is quite understandable.

• OM NOM NOM

Re: Frontierland Shootin' Exposition Re-imagined Using Woody and "Woody's Round-up"

Not a bad Idea, but I am rather fond of the "Boot Hill" style Shooting Exposition. Because Hunter's Paradise over at Knott's Berry Farm is now rather defunct, I only have Disneyland and Six Flags to test my rifleman skills. Also, I think shooting at Pixar Characters might be frowned upon.
    Make something Idiot-Proof, and someone will build a better Idiot.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

As Woody's holster appears empty (I don't ever recall seeing him carrying a gun or firing one, even the dolls' holsters are empty) in the Toy Story films, which I find hard to believe is an oversight on Pixar's part, it would seem an unnecessary stretch to focus his appeal on this type of ammusement.

• Kirbyshowcase.com

meh...
    (insert funny comment here)

• CM for 4 years!

THe Shootin' Exposition is an original. DOn't mess with it! :P
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• the subs were cool maan

Too. Much. Pixar.

• the subs were cool maan

Quote Originally Posted by eyes_of_mara
    , I think shooting at Pixar Characters might be frowned upon.
    Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters?

• Banned User

ENOUGH PIXAR! Don't give them any ideas about using PIXAR characters again! No more cartoonization!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

I have some mixed emotions about the "Woody's Round Up" idea for the Big Thunder Ranch area. I like the open, undeveloped feel of this area. It's a respite from the sensory overload of the rest of the park. A place to breath. But... if it must be, then Woody makes sense at this location and a makes a good transition from Fantasyland to Frontierland.

The Shooting Gallery is a 1955 classic. Of course, the park cannot become a museum of itself, but Woody would be a jarring presence at this location. Let's leave Frontierland wild and wooly. Frontierland is an area dedicated to the authentic. To real history. Let's not corrupt it with fantasy. Read Walt's dedication speech again. Part of the purpose of Disneyland is to celebrate American history. Disneyland's magic comes, in part, from the fact that it can transport you to REAL places and times. Some of the magic would be lost if it was only able to transport you to another cartoon.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

Why is Disneyland slowly (very slowly) ruining itself with this cartoonization (sorry to say this) crap?

• Minion

Cartoon based stuff has existed since opening! Look at Fantasyland! So just stop whining about too much cartoon based rides.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• FastPass n00b

Beyond the fact that putting Woody inside Frontierland would be very bad, I don't think it's a good idea to turn Disneyland into a vehicle for retelling a story that has already been told in film.

And I agree that the destruction of Disneyland through cartoonization is happening so slowly that people don't really see it happening. It starts harmless enough, a retheming of Tomorrowland Terrace. Then it turns into an entire ride, and then half of an entire Land. But it's happening so slowly and people are so desperate to see *anything* in empty ride shells that we are forgetting what Disneyland used to be and always has been. Personally, I think the cartoonization is almost as poison for Disneyland as Paul Pressler's decisions. The only difference is that the cartoonization rides are still there so they can be reversed, unlike Paul Pressler's removals. In some ways, cartoonization is even worse because when you remove a ride, you feel nostalgic and remember how it used to be...but with cartoonization, it dillutes the experience and you FORGET how it used to be! Hopefully Disney will run out of Pixar material soon.

There's nothing wrong with cartoons inside Disneyland, as long as they stay inside Fantasyland. That is the one place in the park where not only are cartoons acceptable, they are encouraged.

I am the first to lament having Pixar stuff where it does not belong, and this fact is the reason I stated that the "Toy Story" elements in Tomorrowland need to be confined to Astro Blasters and its adjoining shop. Astro Blasters also needs to be replaced, but that eventuality is not going to happen for a few more years. Until that time, having a well-conceived Woody counterpart in Frontierland would help to keep everything in balance. The Frontierland Shootin' Exposition has been re-imagined several times since its opening, so anyone who finds shooting electronic rifles makes him or her nostalgic for 1955 just is not aware of how different the place currently looks compared to its original version. Some of the other problems with the current shooting gallery are that it is already much too stylized and that it contributes very little to Frontierland as a whole.

Let me also say that I hate seeing Woody walking around Frontierland inasmuch as I dislike seeing Buzz walking through Tomorrowland, but adding an overdressing to the interior of the Shootin' Exposition in place of a more overt Woody-fication of Frontierland does not seem at all unreasonable to me. Woody would be confined to the inside of the attraction, and his impact on the tone and convincingness of the realm would be negligible that way.

"Read Walt's dedication speech again. Part of the purpose of Disneyland is to celebrate American history. Disneyland's magic comes, in part, from the fact that it can transport you to REAL places and times."

Frontierland, which also encompasses New Orleans Square and Critter Country, is about both tall tales and true. There never was a real Frontierland, so there is room for imaginary characters and stories like: Tom Sawyer; Becky Thatcher; Huckleberry Finn; Capt. Jack Sparrow; Zorro; Br'er Rabbit; and, others. And, as I said, the attraction would have to be based on the fictitious story-within-a-story and not on Woody's incarnation as a toy. The Four Cardinal Realms of Disneyland should encompass the imaginary first and foremost. Frontierland is not about real people as much as it is about the legends of Pocahontas; Johnny Appleseed; Paul Bunyan; John Henry; Pecos Bill; Slue Foot Sue; and, even Davy Crockett. Incidentally, all of these personalities, except for Crockett, were first visualized by Disney in cartoon-based animation.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 07-17-2005 at 10:22 AM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    I am the first to lament having Pixar stuff where it does not belong, and this fact is the reason I stated that the "Toy Story" elements in Tomorrowland need to be confined to Astro Blasters and its adjoining shop. Astro Blasters also needs to be replaced, but that eventuality is not going to happen for a few more years. Until that time, having a well-conceived Woody counterpart in Frontierland would help to keep everything in balance. The Frontierland Shootin' Exposition has been re-imagined several times since its opening, so anyone who finds shooting electronic rifles makes him or her nostalgic for 1955 just is not aware of how different the place currently looks compared to its original version. Some of the other problems with the current shooting gallery are that it is already much too stylized and that it contributes very little to Frontierland as a whole.

Let me also say that I hate seeing Woody walking around Frontierland inasmuch as I dislike seeing Buzz walking through Tomorrowland, but adding an overdressing to the interior of the Shootin' Exposition in place of a more overt Woody-fication of Frontierland does not seem at all unreasonable to me. Woody would be confined to the inside of the attraction, and his impact on the tone of the Realm would be negligible that way.

"Read Walt's dedication speech again. Part of the purpose of Disneyland is to celebrate American history. Disneyland's magic comes, in part, from the fact that it can transport you to REAL places and times."

Frontierland, which also encompasses New Orleans Square and Critter Country, is about both tall tales and true. There never was a real Frontierland, so there is room for imaginary characters and stories like: Tom Sawyer; Becky Thatcher; Huckleberry Finn; Capt. Jack Sparrow; Zorro; Br'er Rabbit; and, others. And, as I said, the attraction would have to be based on the fictitious story-within-a-story and not on Woody's incarnation as a toy. The Four Cardinal Realms of Disneyland should encompass the imaginary first and foremost. Frontierland is not about real people as much as it is about the legends of Pocahontas; Johnny Appleseed; Paul Bunyan; John Henry; and, even Davy Crockett.
    You're absolutely right that that only thing that today's Shootin' Gallery shares with the original 1955 attraction is location.

To clarify, however, what I meant by REAL places and times:

Fantasyland is based on animated cartoon characters from mythical stories. Tomorrowland is based on a speculations of what the future holds. Adventureland and Frontierland are based on genuine human history and times that actually existed. To be sure, all fictionalized and glorified, but still based on history and reality. Introducint cartoon characters dilutes that a little. I'm still disappointed with the change to Tarzan's Treehouse. (and am struck by the irony that Disney is planning a live-action remake of Swiss Family Robinson.) There's a little transition that occures at Splash Mtn with it's SOTS connections that made Country Bears appropriate over there. (...and made them think that Pooh would be equally OK.)

If Woody were to confine himself to a Shootin' Gallery overlay, I'm fine with that. On reflection, I'd even say that the idea is a fun way to let Woody into the land without taking it over. I'd hate for that to be the first step in the cartoonization of Frontierland. There isn't anything wrong with cartoons. Disney made his money off of them. They're referrenced all over the entire Disneyland park... even Main St. in the Emporium Windows. BUT... Disneyland will lose itself if it becomes only about cartoons and leaves the human element and (tall tale or true) historical elements behind.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast