Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Lowering Expectations

Re: Submarine Voyage a la West Edmonton Mall

OMG watch the intro
    *BARF*
    I can't BELIEVE how much that freakin' mall has stolen!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    The new Disneyland Submarine Voyage will, indeed, be in water... just like it always was. The "dry-for-wet" thing mainly means that a lot of the show elements will be inside dry acrylic boxes. The boxes, themselves, will be submerged underwater with the subs, but the animatronics inside will be dry, more reliable and will last longer. (The fact that they are in boxes will not be apparent to the guests. The magical illusion is that they will appear to be actually in the water also.)
    but will we be the only one left that still runs in water? or are there still others?

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

These are similar looking subs to those that were at the Mall>>>http://www.hawaiiactive.com/maui/htm...rine.html?Ix=2
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff
    These are similar looking subs to those that were at the Mall>>>http://www.hawaiiactive.com/maui/htm...rine.html?Ix=2
    They do look similar. One statement made on the page did puzzle me:
    You will journey into a spectacular blue world in the safety and comfort of the world's first and most advanced submarine.
    HUH?

BTW: Great link. I'll save it for our next trip to Maui.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

You realise west ed mall has been around for a very very very... long time! And fantasyland hotel is so cool, so many different themed rooms... West ed mall is the biggest mall in the world... They make millions a day.. When did the disneyland subs open?

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5
    Done a 'lil more research...it gets worse. They have a hotel. The name? "Fantasyland Hotel". A running theme of the mall is that they have costumed (their own) characters around having "meet 'n greets". In the lagoon, as you may have seen, a copy of the Santa Maria...more like DL in 1955 with a ship in the lagoon in FANTASYLAND...yeah. (no diner in this one, though) Seeing the picture of the Sea Lion show and the Sub photo, are you sure they haven't replaced the subs there yet, 'cause it sure looks like the same place, but anyways, here's a copied idea from Sea World, a sea lion show with a touch of (yes!) zany human characters, in a comedy delight! If anyone finds anything else, tell me...(I still can't believe that they ADMITTED to stealing DL's idea in that tape. Pfft, improvement my butt, seems like the same old thing to me)...
    Ok, it gets worse. The theme park in West Edmonton Mall used to be called Fantasyland until Disney sued them (I can't remember when, but it wasn't that long ago). But before y'all call scream copycat, Fantasyland at WEM was nothing like Disneys and I don't believe they used that name just because Disney was using it in a section of its park. Honestly, you try and come up with a good theme park name.

It's true, WEM is pretty tacky now. They have an odd mix of the European theme park style and the Disneyland Toontown theme park style (the toontown style came in right after Disney sued them ironically) but it wasn't always that way. It was impressive as heck when it opened. They tried a lot of things, took a lot of risks. They had Lions and Tigers in that mall. They had Dolphins. They had Subs (sadly they all flopped)... No one had ever tried such things in a mall before.
    But the mall also built some very successful attractions. They built an indoor themepark (still the largest in the world, with the largest indoor triple loop roller coaster in the world), a HUGE wave pool (largest indoor wave pool in north american), an Indoor lake (the subs may have sunk, but the indoor lake is uber cool and isn't going anywhere. It's the largest indoor lake in the world) and they built a Hotel with really cool themed rooms... The hotel really needs a refurb now, but when it opened it was compleatly unique in all the world.

So the mall copied a few tricks from the king of theming. So does everyone else. That doesn't mean that the mall isn't innovative. In fact, for creativity, I'd say it scores better then most of the worlds themed attractions.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR
    I want to strangle that man, Gary Hanson. "We wanted to do it right," my butt...

I laughed when those scuba divers had to go into the lake to reattatch the sub that disattatched itself from the track...
    With all do respect, I have to agree with Mr. Hanson. The mall really did do it right. But doing it right, doesn't make it better. The Subs in the mall are a much better design then Disney, much more comfortable to ride in. They did that right.

The idea of having real fish, like I said before, was a really good idea. It was done very well. Just... watching fish... In a Sub... However cool the fish may be... Isn't entertaining enough to keep you coming back. But until someone risks building it, you can't know that. It was still a really well done ride... And it did last for 20 years.

WEMs real fish really added to the attraction, they really did make WEMs ride "better" then Disneyland's... But Disneyland rides have a character to them. They are more then just rides, they are characters in themselves. WEM doesn't have that. WEMs Sub ride felt like an underwater tour. Disneyland's Sub ride felt like an experience.

I've been on both many times. I honestly feel they were two different experiences, both fun! But one wasn't better then the other.
    Last edited by SpeMarX; 07-19-2005 at 12:59 AM.

• At the Gym or at DL

This whole thing looks like Pressler's dream.

Malls = Theme Parks and
    Theme Parks = Malls

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

It's one of the coolest places ever

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Using actual fish to support the show is not a bad idea, and the acrylic tubes make a great deal of sense.

Disneyland uses live animals and live plants to support the show in other places. And, there are a fair number of live humans used throughout Disneyland, too.

I have no idea exactly how W.D.I. has envisioned the new version of the Submarine Voyage, but the original show needed improvement. I visited the attraction right before it was closed, and the thought occurred to me at the time that the experience was somewhat embarassing. Many of the illusions were just not believable.

I want submarines that, at least, look like they submerge underwater. And, I want fish that do not appear to be held motionless by wires. In photos, both Deep Sea Adventure and 20,000 Leagues under the Sea appear more interesting topside of the water, as well.

The Nautilus submarines at W.D.W. looked as if they came straight from the film, and the rockwork and tropical plants of Vulcania were much more beautiful than the equivalent at Disneyland.

The way that Tokyo Disney Seas and Disneyland Paris present their versions of the Nautilus is also pretty spectacular. I just hope this new version of Submarine Voyage draws from the knowledge of these other submarine attractions and uses them to create a show that is finally worthy of Disneyland.

Sooo. I went to WEM today... Seems they turning the Indoor lake into an Aquatopia type ride.

I miss the subs.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by SpeMarX
    I miss the subs.
    It appears that WEM did it exactly like Disneyland after all! (Except we're getting ours back! )
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

I'm baffled why everyone is offended by the remarks in that video. haha he "wanted" to do it right and had the intention to do so...but yeah...we know where the ride is now.

At any rate I don't think he inferred that the mall had done it right or boasted so. I think more than anything it should be a form of flattery that they felt inspired by Disney's subs. And no..I don't think there are any copyright laws protecting other people from creating a sub ride that involves watching fish...not that I know of anyway.

• Im Mrs Americain Dream

I was actuly in edm a few weeks ago to go to the hottest nightclub ever, and i went into the mall cus i had a few hrs to kill till the concert so me and some of the background singers went shopping, neways here's a pic i took from the bridge of the subs who seem to stil be there this mall is actuly pretty cool it's got tons of nightlife and a wicked coaster, a skateing rink whould wayne gretsky used ot practice on and as much as i dispise edmonton i love this mall, and i go visit to shop... Yo fellow cdns wanna have a micechat meet at west ed?? :0) can we say waterpark and the theme park even though most the rides in galexyland make me ill this might end up very heated which scares me, so here's a few pics i took when there a few weeks ago and they got's flamingos hehehe...

[IMG][/IMG]
    ~I Am Finally Just Me~

My Youtube Video Blog

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123