Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Little Mermaid ride speculation (Merged threads)

Do you think the Little Mermaid ride thats coming to DCA will be the attraction Tony Baxter designed just more modernized with sophisticated Audio animatronics and special effects? Will it be the exact same as the one shown on the DVD? or will Disney go the cheap route and essentially just clone the Nemo ride from Epcot Center but with Little Mermaid projections instead of nemo and maybe a few static figures??

Im hoping for the former but Al Lutz keeps calling it an omnimover ride and I don't think the Tony Baxter version is considered an omnimover (its based off the peter pan ride system)

• MA Reader Since 2003

Re: Little Mermaid ride speculation

I think it will be just dandy.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge..."
    -Albert Einstein

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Diznyfan View Post
    I think it will be just dandy.
    WHAT will be just dandy?

• Imaginative Possibilities

I think Tony will go in the omnimover route as in WDW but not the projection system. If anything I would think there would be alot of Audio-Animatronics seeing how it be easier to install instead of numerous water tanks. I have big hopes for this ride, as does my girlfriend seeing how shes the Little Mermaid Nut...
    You can't talk S*** unless your gonna do something about it...

Well, the ride could still end up like what was shown on the DVD and still be an omnimover system. The clamshells that were used in the ride video reminded me of doombuggies anyway, just inverted.

• Imaginative Possibilities

Im sure they will use aspects from the DVD version if not at least study what could be used from it...
    You can't talk S*** unless your gonna do something about it...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jet View Post
    Well, the ride could still end up like what was shown on the DVD and still be an omnimover system. The clamshells that were used in the ride video reminded me of doombuggies anyway, just inverted.
    There is a big difference between omnimovers and individual ride vehicles, especially in a dark ride. The newer dark rides have scenes that need to be reset for each vehicle that enters the show space. The Peter Pan type vehicles are ideally suited for the Mermaid ride in that they are separate enough that they don’t see another vehicle as they move through the scenes so each scene can provide an entire “mini show” for each vehicle. An omnimover system wouldn't allow for that.

• Infinitized!

I still think its odd where they are putting Little Mermaid. The ride should be in Fantasyland at the old Motorboat Cruise location.

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    Do you think the Little Mermaid ride thats coming to DCA will be the attraction Tony Baxter designed just more modernized with sophisticated Audio animatronics and special effects? Will it be the exact same as the one shown on the DVD? or will Disney go the cheap route and essentially just clone the Nemo ride from Epcot Center but with Little Mermaid projections instead of nemo and maybe a few static figures??

Im hoping for the former but Al Lutz keeps calling it an omnimover ride and I don't think the Tony Baxter version is considered an omnimover (its based off the peter pan ride system)
    An omnimover setup is much MUCH more likely than a Peter Pan setup. We all love Peter Pan, buuuuutttt it has a huge problem. Evacs. Evacing Peter Pan requires manually setting up ladders and is a huge pain. Unless there are huge amounts of 'retractable walkways' installed, there is no future for that kind of ride.
    I think an Epcot Nemo clone setup is most likely by far.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

well the mermaid ride will technically be within the new extended pier which will wrap around the bay

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    I still think its odd where they are putting Little Mermaid. The ride should be in Fantasyland at the old Motorboat Cruise location.
    Agreed. What does The Little Mermaid or even mermaids in general have to do with California? Then again, what do Monsters have to do with Hollywood or movie making?

My money is on Disney doing the most to accomplish three things: Increase ride capacity, Give the ride a gimmick that makes it unique, Save as much money as possible.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

• Collision speed....FULL!

The whole "what does it have to do with California" idea shouldn't have to be considered when it comes to new DCA attractions. Disney is dropping the California theme for a more "just another Disneyland" theme. Heck, they are even getting rid of the California letters out front.

• Collision speed....FULL!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbulb View Post
    Then again, what do Monsters have to do with Hollywood or movie making?
    Well, Monsters Inc. was created by a movie studio right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbulb View Post
    Agreed. What does The Little Mermaid or even mermaids in general have to do with California? Then again, what do Monsters have to do with Hollywood or movie making?

My money is on Disney doing the most to accomplish three things: Increase ride capacity, Give the ride a gimmick that makes it unique, Save as much money as possible.

Not this again,

why is it so hard to understand that the parks land are being built to represent many aspects thru California history.

The pier being one. Within these land attraction get built that match the theming of that land.

If people looked at old pictures of many of the piers that lined california's coast tehy would realize that many of its attractions dealt with oddities and mythical creatures. Pictures of Mermaids and Zuess were very typical for environments that dealt with the theme of the sea in these amusement piers.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Pictures of Mermaids and Zuess were very typical for environments that dealt with the theme of the sea in these amusement piers.
    So if TLM were being built where TSMM is currently under construction, then that would make sense. But it's going to border the San Francisco district at the far end of the pier, far enough away to not really mesh with the pier district's sea theme. Connection is tenuous at best.

And I think you mean Neptune/Poseidon, not Zeus.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast