Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partners Statue

• Imaginative Possibilities

Partners Statue

To my knowledge the Partners Statue was introduced in 93...Right? Wrong? Anybody know history or info about it?
    You can't talk S*** unless your gonna do something about it...

• Shubisha

Re: Partners Statue

I thought 95 or something. And it got rededicated in 2001 for the 100 years of magic promotion that disneyland didn't take part of but all the other resorts did.

I am voting for November of 1993:
    A few links of my findings...
    http://www.finddisney.com/Linquist.htm
    http://legends.disney.go.com/legends...=Blaine+Gibson
    It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive.

• Imaginative Possibilities

Ok so it was in 93, just as I thought thanks...Now im looking for what was there before hand. A fellow cast member told me there used to be like give aways and sweepstakes kinda deals. There would be like a car on a revolving platform and that sort of deal...anybody here of stuff like this?
    You can't talk S*** unless your gonna do something about it...

• Minion

There was a flower bed I believe for some time since Disneylands opening. I believe they may have had the 35 give away machine there.
    Jeff Wayne

• Lowering Expectations

For the curious, this is what the central hub looked like before the Partners statue took residence. Note the lack of fencing.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post

For the curious, this is what the central hub looked like before the Partners statue took residence. Note the lack of fencing.
    Wow - really cool picture! I'm surprised to see all of the trees blocking the castle

• Hiding in the shadows

Quote Originally Posted by kirbilicious View Post
    Wow - really cool picture! I'm surprised to see all of the trees blocking the castle
    That was my first thought as well. I don't remember all the trees.

A little piece of heaven

• Shubisha

The hub area of main street and around the castle used to be full of them and it was like a castle in an enchanted forest look to it almost. Look up some old pictures, especially of areas like the walkways along the side of the castle. It's very grassy and full of trees.

The concept (Walt and Mickey holding hands) and name ("Partners") of what would eventually become known as the Partners Statue, actually originated many years prior as a famous painting and limited edition lithograph...by Disney Legend and Disneyland Master Illustrator, Charles Boyer. It was actually one of the first limited edition lithos Disney ever did, and because of its very low edition size and the fact that it was sold only to Cast Members...its very hard to find today.

Because of its rarity and the fact that it was created so long ago, I think that many people just assume that "Partners" originated with the Blaine Gibson bronze sculpture. It did not. It originated with the popular Charles Boyer painting and that was what Blaine was asked to created the statue from.

It was such a landmark piece, that Charles Boyer's "Window On Main Street" even uses "Partners" as its fictional business tag.

Also contrary to popular belief...the Disneyland Credit Union was named the "Partners Credit Union" not after the sculpture, but after the Boyer painting. From their web site:

In 1987 we changed our name to Partners Federal Credit Union, based on a famous lithograph by Charles Boyer titled "Partners."
    So while we all have the talents of Blaine Gibson to thank for the statue...let's not forget to give credit where credit is due to the originator of the work...Charles Boyer.

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    The hub area of main street and around the castle used to be full of them and it was like a castle in an enchanted forest look to it almost. Look up some old pictures, especially of areas like the walkways along the side of the castle. It's very grassy and full of trees.
    Not to mention all the ivy that used to be allowed to grow on the Castle:

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    The concept (Walt and Mickey holding hands) and name ("Partners") of what would eventually become known as the Partners Statue, actually originated many years prior as a famous painting and limited edition lithograph...by Disney Legend and Disneyland Master Illustrator, Charles Boyer. It was actually one of the first limited edition lithos Disney ever did, and because of its very low edition size and the fact that it was sold only to Cast Members...its very hard to find today.

Because of its rarity and the fact that it was created so long ago, I think that many people just assume that "Partners" originated with the Blaine Gibson bronze sculpture. It did not. It originated with the popular Charles Boyer painting and that was what Blaine was asked to created the statue from.

It was such a landmark piece, that Charles Boyer's "Window On Main Street" even uses "Partners" as its fictional business tag.

Also contrary to popular belief...the Disneyland Credit Union was named the "Partners Credit Union" not after the sculpture, but after the Boyer painting. From their web site:

So while we all have the talents of Blaine Gibson to thank for the statue...let's not forget to give credit where credit is due to the originator of the work...Charles Boyer.

Thanks for the info. Here's an image of the painting in case anybody was interested. Snagged it from an eBay auction - its not the best quality.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Closed Account

PragmaticIdealist is a great admirer of the statue...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

I like that ivy on the castle.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    Not to mention all the ivy that used to be allowed to grow on the Castle:

Ivy still grows on the Castle. I'm not sure when they started taking control of it though... but there is ivy growing up the side of the castle now - I saw it on my last trip on Friday.

I wonder, when did they start controlling how much ivy grew on the castle? Was it during the 90s? Was it before the 50th when they completely re-painted the entire castle? Any info?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    PragmaticIdealist is a great admirer of the statue...
    Ha! I soon as I saw the title, I thought to myself "Here we go again."
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast