Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

Re: Year Of A Million Dreams - I wish it was this way.

it's a sweepstakes. Whatever. I don't go to disney to win things (rather see the money go towards maintenance of the park and CM's getting a better salary). I go for the love of the park. However, I don't agree that the Gallery should be torn out for something that is going to last 12 months (actually shorter, right? this part doesn't start until later this year....????).

It's great people can win something. Sure, a churro isn't my dream, but it's a nice gesture. Am I in love w/ the promo, no. Do I hate it or think it's not a nice thing to do, no.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Although many of the people on this thread chose simple dreams, do you really think this would have been the case had people been asked to pick a dream? And creating limits etc. would have been so confusing and time consuming that there is no way it would have worked....in fact I'll bet there'd be even more YOAMD hate threads out there!

But I do agree that in theory this is a good concept...and will make for a nice daydream or game for my kids to play on the way to DLR lol

Also, in regards to the name, Year of A Million Prizes just doesn't sound as "magical" "disney-esque" or "promotional" just maybe more "politically correct".

• When Will It Return?

My dream is that this whole YOAMD crap completely dies, and we never speak of it again.

Any chance on getting that dream to come true Disney?

-- PMM

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Pin Trading Tenderfoot

Citrus Heights, California (it's right near Sacramento)

Smile Re: Year Of A Million Dreams - I wish it was this way.

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    It's great people can win something. Sure, a churro isn't my dream, but it's a nice gesture. Am I in love w/ the promo, no. Do I hate it or think it's not a nice thing to do, no.
    Snipped to quote the relevant (to my reply) section.

One of the things I've really liked about YOMD is the nice gestures. There are lots of little things CMs and Customer Service did for us on the various trips we took this last year. My son and I were approached at closing in Pieces Of Eight (I think...) at the end of our last trip by a wonderful CM. She was with a group of others and looked to be taking a tour of the park with an organizer book of some sort, but she took the time to stop and talk with us, without so much as expecting us to approach her. Because of her, my son had a pair of Dream pins sent snail-mail, a Mickey pin, and an autographed 8x10 photo of the Fab 5. I lost my beloved (and very emotionally valued) light-up Tink clip, the ones that come with Pirate Punch in Blue Bayou, on our last night. It seems like such a silly little thing to be so upset about, but that clip was a memento from our fifth anniversary dinner at BB. The last I heard, no one turned it in, but Customer Service sent me a beautifully worded and sympathetic email and snail-mailed me an autographed 8x10 Tinkerbell art "photo". They said they knew it couldn't replace my clip, but hoped it would bring a smile to my face. My son's first day as a pin trader saw us going to the park with his new lanyard and two pins to trade. The bag checkers at the Monorail entrance made a big to-do about his entry into pin trading and brought him a handful of DLRP starter set pins. Once they were all on, they both told him NOW he looked like he was ready for a day of trading.
    Sometimes, its as simple as a CM stopping to ask if you're alright or joking with you over how many turkey legs you're buying for your group. Sometimes it's a free extra churro because "I had to give you a broken one." I think a lot of CMs - and I realize I may be wrong about this - see the YOMD as a chance to step up and change someone's day. The little things that happened on our trips, I'll hold with me for as long as my mind is capable. I, for one, am thankful for all the CMs I've interacted with. I wouldn't have bought an annual pass, nor talked my mother into buying three, if it weren't for the CMs and the returning quality and cleanliness of the park.

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Properly titled, up to this point it would be Year of a Million Trinkets.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• RedPlum on the Rocks

I think that Disney actually deciding to give something away is a great gesture and a great way to keep parkgoers happy. Maybe it isn't the exact thing people "dream of" or "wish for", but as with all gifts, its the thought that counts, yes?

People should go to Disneyland for the love of the Park, and the experience they take with them....and if they get a little extra while they're there, that's great. I really hope that people dont go soley for the free stuff they may or may not get! I love Disney, and even though my "dream" would be to be to walk through the sleeping beauty castle one last time (if the stuff is even there anymore!! )...if I was handed a fastpass or a free churro, or a night at the Mickey Mouse Suite, I would be thankful anyway, because it's what helps keep the magic alive. And really...to a 5 year old, to be granted a stay overnight at disneyland would be heaven on earth i expect.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

I am completely impressed that you guys can find the downside to free stuff.

• DL Nerd

I kinda tired of people complaining about YoMD myself.
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• Little Miss Sunshine

We stayed in the castle Saturday. I can't say that it was ever something I dreamed about, but it was really nice!!!!! I would be happy if someone came over to me with a coupon for a free box of popcorn. Maybe it's not my dream, but it's all good.

Not that I'm THRILLED with the YOMD, only because it's 2 years now and Epcot didn't get much of a celebration. But - that is my main complaint, I think it would be very hard to give people their exact dreams (there would be many fewer of them).
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    I am completely impressed that you guys can find the downside to free stuff.
    Stick around, we will teach you how to do it too. Before you know it you will be able to bitch about Fantasmic!, Splash Mountain, Pirates on TSI, thematic inconsistencies, oh wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I recently spent 6 nights at Walt Disney World. On the very first day, I was at Magic Kingdom and headed toward the train station in town square. I was going to take a trip on the train around the park. Out of the corner of my left eye, I saw, what I never thought that I would. Jiminy Cricket was posing for photos, and giving autographs. Now if you know me at all, you know that this has always been my dream. I got in line, and I got my picture taken and I got my autograph.

I was just so happy at that very moment. I finally got to hug Jiminy, and get him to sign my book. I finally got the picture that I have always wanted.

I can honestly say that that moment meant more to me than a night in the castle would have.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post

I can honestly say that that moment meant more to me than a night in the castle would have.
    I think that is great! One of the things with the night at the castle, they can tailor it some to you. So if you won, you might let them know that you like Jiminy Cricket - and then you might find him as part of your "Dream". (I can't guarantee that, but they each evening is different depending on the person/family).

The parade viewing was AMAZING, I have never had such a great spot for a parade. So it wasn't only the castle, but things I may never get to do again. On the other hand, I can say this is in my top 10 moments of the past few years, but there are a lot of really awesome things I've done. I didn't cry, I wasn't upset when we left the suite, I was sort of glad the night was over. I asked our guide in the morning "are we freed after breakfast"? But it was great, and I recommend it. Disney did a great job with it, and I LOVED the jacuzzi, though not as much when the jacuzzi covers started floating around in the tub.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• phbbbbbt

I recently spent 6 nights at Walt Disney World. On the very first day, I was at Magic Kingdom and headed toward the train station in town square. I was going to take a trip on the train around the park. Out of the corner of my left eye, I saw, what I never thought that I would. Jiminy Cricket was posing for photos, and giving autographs. Now if you know me at all, you know that this has always been my dream. I got in line, and I got my picture taken and I got my autograph.

I was just so happy at that very moment. I finally got to hug Jiminy, and get him to sign my book. I finally got the picture that I have always wanted.

Congratulations!!!
    xo, Deanna

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I am sure that staying inside the castle for the night was for the most part a pleasant experience. However, I believe that in this most recent example, the family had to be persuaded to accept the prize.

I really wish that the families that really wanted these "dreams" were the ones in the end that experienced them.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Little Miss Sunshine

I am sure that staying inside the castle for the night was for the most part a pleasant experience. However, I believe that in this most recent example, the family had to be persuaded to accept the prize.
    Yes, my family had to be persuaded. They didn't have any idea what the CM's were talking about at first, or what it entailed. There are many people who have never heard of the castle stay, and this is what happened in this case. My parents once turned down a concierge upgrade at the Wilderness Lodge because they don't like a lot of attention paid to them. They would NOT have accepted it if it was just the two of them.

In the end, everyone had a great time. If the CM's didn't try to persuade at all, there would be people who had no idea what they missed out on. The CM's also didn't go overboard like they might have with some guests (showering TOO much with attention). We have some great photos, great memories, probably one of the best family experiences I've had in a long time. So that is what I'll remember most of all. In the end, it was my parents gift to us. And I have such fun pictures at the Crystal Palace, and CRT, photos of my family I'd never have otherwise. What I really like also is seeing my parents getting a tiny bit of pampering, something that they deserve but try to stay away from.

And I get to share photos and an experience. So THAT is fun for me. Disney will not try to continue to persuade forever, they will eventually move on. But many people aren't online, nor know about the castle stay. So Disney gives it a good college effort, trying to make sure that guests understand the prize first.
    Last edited by nbodyhome; 12-28-2007 at 12:28 PM.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast