Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Evacuated at the end of a meal...

We were waiting for our bill at Cafe Orleans on Sunday afternoon when the fire alarm went off and we were evacuated. I'm curious about how people would handle this. We were lucky because we were done eating (some people had the presence of mind to pick up their plates and take them with them), but we hadn't paid. After waiting about 15 minutes we found our waitress, made sure she wasn't going to have to cover our meal ticket, gave her a tip and left with her blessing. She said other people were leaving and they would just void the bills. I felt bad, I wasn't looking to get a free meal, but we were on a tight schedule to get home by 5:00. When we walked back that way about 45 minutes later, they still hadn't re-opened. I'm guessing it was a kitchen fire, but thats a guess. Would you have worked harder at paying? Or just let Disney treat you to this meal?

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Re: Evacuated at the end of a meal...

As long as you asked her about it and attempted to pay the bill, I think you're fine.
    <o>

•   
    • Damn Good Burger!

I try to never evacuate after meal but sometimes I just can't help it.

I would also find the server and ask how/if to pay before leaving. Anyone who just left was wrong, sadly that's how most people are.

I'm glad you took a min. to find her and figure out what to do.
    -Wes

• Circle of Ancients

I'd definately try to find out if I could still pay and DEFINATELY give the waitress her tip. If I couldn't find her maybe go to City Hall and give it.

Then of course, if the waitress says you don't have to pay, you gotta give her MORE of a tip right.

I'd probably give her 1/2 the original bill as a tip just because.

You definately did the right thing. I'm sure there were alot of people who were like "Score, free meal" and then stiffed the waitress as well. Sad.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley815 View Post
    I would also find the server and ask how/if to pay before leaving. Anyone who just left was wrong, sadly that's how most people are.
    I disagree. The diners were horribly inconvenienced by the fire alarm and it was Disneyland's problem that it happened. Nobody should have to wait around while they figure out what to do about all the bills. If I were in charge of Cafe Orleans I would have gladly voided every outstanding bill and hope that every evacuated guest would enjoy the rest of their day and not judge them for it.

They did what the fire alarm told them to do, leave the restaurant.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Pressler69 View Post
    I disagree. The diners were horribly inconvenienced by the fire alarm and it was Disneyland's problem that it happened. Nobody should have to wait around while they figure out what to do about all the bills. If I were in charge of Cafe Orleans I would have gladly voided every outstanding bill and hope that every evacuated guest would enjoy the rest of their day and not judge them for it.

So you would not only stiff the restaurant, but the waiter (waitress) who is probably making minimum wage?

Obviously there wasn't any imminent threat due to a fire.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    So you would not only stiff the restaurant, but the waiter (waitress) who is probably making minimum wage?
    I would stiff the restaurant yes. I would return to tip the waitress. I would not wait around however.

If I were Disneyland though, I would reimburse the hosts for lost tips due to the fire alarm. But I wouldn't be surprised if the restaurant was closed for the day and every cast member had to clock out, losing the rest of the day's pay.
    Last edited by Pressler69; 10-15-2007 at 04:43 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I'd ask what to do about the bill, and definitely tip my waitress or waiter.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pressler69 View Post
    Having personally coordinated a real emergency evactuation it amazes me how much people want to stop and settle their business. The whole point of an evacuation is to leave.

I'd probably return to tip, but other than that I would not stop and try to pay. I believe a business should eat the costs associated as it is an inconvenience to the customers.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I'd probably return to tip, but other than that I would not stop and try to pay. I believe a business should eat the costs associated as it is an inconvenience to the customers.
    I agree. And if Disneyland cared about their cast members at all, they'd eat the cost of the tip too.

wow!! You all are much better people than me! I would think, "SCORE!! Free meal!"

My best score ever!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Nah, I probably would have guess-ti-mated, thrown down a decent sized bill and tell the wait staff who helped us as I exited, "it's there on the table, whatever's left? That's yours--" Hoping to goodness they used it to pay the bill kept the 50% over I left for themselves to get a decent meal over at the Block.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Minion

If a fire alarm is going off I'm really not intersted in paying for the bill or tipping. It was nice of you to find the wairtress, if I saw them then I would tip them, but to look for them as there is a possible fire would not be my number once concern.
    Jeff Wayne

• I'm baaaaccckkk!

Blog Entries

I think what the OP did in the situation was the right thing to do. It's what I would have done..
    <3 Chloe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast