Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Is Disney taking Halloween too seriously?

What's with all these Disney-Universal-Halloween rumors swirling around.

Micechat reports that WDI just hired Scott Trowbridge, former VP of Universal Creative

Meanwhile JHMedia says Disney wants to compete in Orlando for Universal's adult Halloween crowd, and we know Knott's in California banks big bucks during the Scary Farm/Halloween Haunt season.

It said on that site that a Nightmare Before Christmas attraction is being considered for DHS - meanwhile if DCA is getting a billion dollar extreme makeover, I'd expect them to roll in everything they can that's 'hot'. I would be surprised if they develop it just for Florida.

• =)

Re: Is Disney taking Halloween too seriously?

I can offer nothing but the very vaguest guess that no, they're not taking it too seriously.

• DL Nerd

I also say no.... And if they are, Does it really matter? All it could mean is more fun.
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• Hiding in the shadows

Over the years, Halloween has become much more of a whole family holiday (rather than just kids dressing up as it was when I was little). With that, comes some major money making opportunities. You tack that with the fact that the holiday is during what was typically an off season time for the parks, and well...whether they are taking it too seriously or not...so far its working, because DRL has been very busy this month. Halloween has become a large money making empire, why not capitalize on it.

I don't know about the other rumors, but the NBC franchise it huge with the mature crowd (16-24+), who also happen to be willing to spend money, so it would make sense to continue to expand Halloween operations. And since its my second favorite holiday, I will not be complaining.
    Last edited by MollyTrolly; 10-16-2007 at 10:27 AM.

A little piece of heaven

• Huh?

Personally, I don't care as long as an NBC dark ride is actually coming.
    -Tim

• Minion

Yes. They're really out of their gourd over it.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Meanwhile JHMedia says Disney wants to compete in Orlando for Universal's adult Halloween crowd, and we know Knott's in California banks big bucks during the Scary Farm/Halloween Haunt season.

It said on that site that a Nightmare Before Christmas attraction is being considered for DHS - meanwhile if DCA is getting a billion dollar extreme makeover, I'd expect them to roll in everything they can that's 'hot'. I would be surprised if they develop it just for Florida.
    More misjimformation?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Shubisha

Disneyland has already made it very very clear that they're going for the toddler crowd. Everything about Mickey's Halloween Treat is toddler oriented and has been for the last 3 years. They're not even bothering to try and compete against Knott's, Magic Mountain, Universal, and any other local scary ones. They're just trying to draw the crowd of parents who want to bring their little kids somewhere for Halloween without scaring them.

Florida is a different story. It's not scary but it's mildly spooky(very mildly). But all they have out there to compete with is Universal's Halloween.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    Disneyland has already made it very very clear that they're going for the toddler crowd. Everything about Mickey's Halloween Treat is toddler oriented and has been for the last 3 years. They're not even bothering to try and compete against Knott's, Magic Mountain, Universal, and any other local scary ones. They're just trying to draw the crowd of parents who want to bring their little kids somewhere for Halloween without scaring them.

Florida is a different story. It's not scary but it's mildly spooky(very mildly). But all they have out there to compete with is Universal's Halloween.
    Well seeing how they have Halloweentime at Disneyland and M's H Treat at Magic Kingdom for the younger set, the impetus seems to be to have Disney's Hollywood Studios in Florida (and maybe DCA in CA???) be geared to a little older audience.

But my question is, does it make sense to have two different Halloween events at DISNEY seeing as how even the more adult themed party is unlikely to seriously compete with the offerings at USH and KBF.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    More misjimformation?
    LOL that's what I was gonna say!

I just love being misjimformed.

• Shubisha

Well seeing how they have Halloweentime at Disneyland and M's H Treat at Magic Kingdom for the younger set, the impetus seems to be to have Disney's Hollywood Studios in Florida (and maybe DCA in CA???) be geared to a little older audience.

But my question is, does it make sense to have two different Halloween events at DISNEY seeing as how even the more adult themed party is unlikely to seriously compete with the offerings at USH and KBF.
    well the point of my post is that they simply won't be having an adult event at DCA so there's nothing to question about whether or not it's worth it to compete against USH and KBF.

In florida, ya it would make great sense to try one at Disney Hollywood Studios. It has a lot greater chance of being successful than on out in california.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

I agree about California, Mickey's Halloween Treat is doing well, and note, they don't offer it Saturday and Sunday, since they want to keep both parks open late for the general public. I just don't see how Disney could do it, they also don't have as much "extra" backstage areas to build things like mazes, etc.

Florida, on the other hand, they have plenty of parks, and they close earlier than in California all the time to the general public. Also, they have lots of space, so you could take a park like DHS and build mazes in the backstage areas without too much problem.

The big question, are there enough locals willing to drive to the parks in the evening to attend, which is the main audience for Halloween Haunt type of events.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Cool Re: Is Disney taking Halloween too seriously?

Darkbeer,

Goint points but couldn't they re-open DCA and keep the bars open until 2 am, keep the rides in Paradise Pier open until 1 am, and put mazes in the backstage areas and open areas of DCA if they wanted to totally rip off Knott's. (At least we'd get a year-round Nightmare Before Christmas attraction, and Mansion purists would be able to have the 'traditional' Haunted Mansion year-round.)

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Darkbeer,

Goint points but couldn't they re-open DCA and keep the bars open until 2 am, keep the rides in Paradise Pier open until 1 am, and put mazes in the backstage areas and open areas of DCA if they wanted to totally rip off Knott's. (At least we'd get a year-round Nightmare Before Christmas attraction, and Mansion purists would be able to have the 'traditional' Haunted Mansion year-round.)
    But WHY?

They are making good money hitting up AP's and their families, and the cost of the Halloween Treat event is not that much more, a few CM's handing out candy, and some Characters in costume, plus some candy, some of which is a trade-out in marketing, so it isn't that much. It is also does not really interrupt the normal DCA schedule, except for DCA closing early 3 hours on Friday, which isn't a big day for them anyways.

Disney knows they can't outdo Knott's and USH with their adult Halloween events without major interruption, and one of the major attractions of the two Adult events is Adult themes, in fact Knott's has made a decision to be a bit more liberal in what subject matter can be done and talked about (This is straight from the West Coast VP in charge of Knott's), it is all about the SCARE and in some cases, the Sexual Innuendo at both events, and I seriously doubt Disney wants to address either of those two subject matters.

Disney is making money and marketing to its main group of AP holders, and why change?

Plus, what would Disney charge, both Knott's and USH are charging from $30 to about $50, depending on the night and the discount offer, Disney would want to start at $50 and go up, and what would they have to do, and spend to make their "scare event" better than the other 2 to get locals to attend the Disney event.

It just doesn't make sense on so many levels.

As I said, it might work in Orlando, but I am not even sure about that. Seems like the Orlando locals tend to visit Universal, SeaWorld and Busch Gardens more than WDW. And really, Disney has been focusing on the out-of-town guests at Orlando anyway, and hasn't marketed much to the locals lately.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

(At least we'd get a year-round Nightmare Before Christmas attraction, and Mansion purists would be able to have the 'traditional' Haunted Mansion year-round.)
    I don't think I would want a year-round NBC attraction. IMO the nice thing about HMH is that it only runs from Halloween through Christmas, making the attraction feel extra special.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    Seems like the Orlando locals tend to visit Universal, SeaWorld and Busch Gardens more than WDW.
    I didn't know that. Imagine if the locals here visited Universal, Knott's and Magic Mountain more than Disneyland -- very interesting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast