Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

God, I miss Disneyland and I miss America...

We're all being inundated with Walt's famous opening day speech... "Those who come to this happy place, welcome..."

As I was lamenting my bad luck to not being able to make it to Disneyland, I did the next best thing. I started watching the old 'Dateline Disneyland'. And it was very educational to see and hear all of the opening day speakers.

It makes me sad to see how far we've come as a country that we can no longer display the type of spiritualism and patriotism that was displayed on Opening Day 1955 without being labeled as some sort of extremists...

So I didn't go. Did anyone say a prayer today?

And for your education, here are the other two opening day speakers and their speeches:

Reverend Glenn D. Puder

I have known Walt Disney for many years. And have long been aware of the spiritual motivation in the heart of this man who has dreamed Disneyland into being. Let us join with him then, in dedicating these wonder filled acres to those things dear to his heart and ours, to understanding and goodwill between men, laughter for children, memories for the mature and aspirations for young people everywhere. And beyond the creed that would divide us, let us unite in the silent prayer that this every worthy envdvour may propser at God's hand. Let us bow in prayer ... Amen.

Honorable Goodwin Knight, Governor California

Today is a wonderful day and all America is proud as we open Disneyland. This is a wonderous community with all the charm of the old world and all of the progress and ingenuity of the new world. Yes, this is a wonderful place for children and grownups alike. There are replicas of every town and city in America, stores, libraries, schools, just like your home town.

All built by American labor and American capital. Under the belief that this is a God fearing and a God loving country. And as we dedicate this flag now, we do it with the knowledge that we are of the fortunate ones to be Americans and that we extend to everyone everywhere, Americanism, brotherhood, and peace on earth, goodwill to men.

• Official Mice Chat person

Re: God, I miss Disneyland and I miss America...

Thanks for posting that, I feel the same way.

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

Sorry to hear that you feel like you're an extremist for being a patriotic American. I don't share your faith, but I've been known to sob like a baby at the "Golden Dreams" sequence in Epcot's "American Adventure" and never miss "The Hall of Presidents" at Magic Kingdom.

It's because I belive in the spirit of our country and what it stands for. The inclusion of all people to pursue their lives, dreams, and own happiness.

• there's always my way...

WONDERFUL POST!!!
    I too Miss America and the Patriotisim !

Thanx for this post.
    Also God Bless and keep you safe out there.
    Come to the dark side,
    we have cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by ron10036
    It's because I belive in the spirit of our country and what it stands for. The inclusion of all people to pursue their lives, dreams, and own happiness.
    So you're saying there _was_ a prayer today?

I believe in 'inclusion', but I don't believe that mexican(*) safety spiels are intended to be 'inclusionary' as much as they are to be a release from liability.

Here's another example of our abdication of responsibilities as Americans:
    El Universal

"Los Angeles mayor-elect Antonio Villaraigosa the city's first Latino mayor since 1872 said Wednesday that Mexico will play an important role in shaping his policies."

So despite what you say, I don't see us celebrating our American heritage. I see us putting it in the closet...

(*) I know it's 'Spanish', but if you believe the speils are for the hoards of Spaniards, Argentines, and Chileans streaming into the park you've been sniffing too much pixie dust.

Quote Originally Posted by B52Hbuff
    "Los Angeles mayor-elect Antonio Villaraigosa the city's first Latino mayor since 1872 said Wednesday that Mexico will play an important role in shaping his policies."
    I predict that by 2025 California will secede from the US and will become Aztlan. An if you aren't part of 'La Raza' you will be a second class citizen. If you own real estate that has appreciated it might soon be time to sell and relocate.

• there's always my way...

Quote Originally Posted by fkurucz
    I predict that by 2025 California will secede from the US and will become Aztlan. An if you aren't part of 'La Raza' you will be a second class citizen. If you own real estate that has appreciated it might soon be time to sell and relocate.
    So what are you trying to say that having Mexicans will depreciate your land values!? this was a ******* thing to say and especialy when we are discussing Disneyland and American.

Now if i was mistaken in interpreting your statment please make it clear..
    Come to the dark side,
    we have cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.DooDah
    My guess is that the implication is that your land will be taken from you....

• The one, the only...

You asked if there was a prayer today. I did not see one. I think that times have changed. It is too bad. I think that Disneyland is a blessing that we call can be thankful for.

In the original ceremony there was a moment of silence. I wish that they had one. In a way Disneyland is a sacred place. It is truly a very special place on earth.

Here is a place that exists to bring happiness and joy. In a world which seems all too filled with those who would want to bring hurt and misery, I personally am very thankful for Disneyland.

It was not only a dream come true for Walt Disney, but Disneyland has fulfilled many dreams for us over the years. May it continue to bring joy for many years to come.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.DooDah
    So what are you trying to say that having Mexicans will depreciate your land values!? this was a ******* thing to say and especialy when we are discussing Disneyland and American.

Don't jump to conclusions my friend (I would also suggest keeping insults to yourself). My point is that once Aztan is an independent nation it will be a less than friendly place for non "Raza" people, at which point the exodus will be if full force, meaning lots of real estate for sale but few buyers. Therefore, sell now that prices are sky high.

Another point to consider as well is that the gov't of Aztlan might not allow you to take your money with you to what's left of the US when you sell your house.

Quote Originally Posted by B52Hbuff
    My guess is that the implication is that your land will be taken from you....
    I don't think that it will be that dramatic. But as non "Raza" you will be a second class citizen, and will be subtly encouraged to leave.

There are all kinds of ways to do this:

Significantly raise taxes.
    Force people to carry ID's (your papers please...)
    Reserve the good jobs for la raza.
    Discriminate in university admissions
    etc.

But I don't expect them to expel people nor confiscate property.

• Reaver of Souls

I can't tell if you're joking or not, fkurucz. I certainly hope so, because if not, I've just wasted 5 minutes of my life reading your posts when I could have been doing something more worthwile. Like pulling out my fingernails.
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• insufferable know-it-all

I don't believe CA will secede. The only state that reserves that right is Texas, and if they thought it possible, I'm sure they would have by now.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver
    I can't tell if you're joking or not, fkurucz. I certainly hope so, because if not, I've just wasted 5 minutes of my life reading your posts when I could have been doing something more worthwile..
    I'm not saying that this is going to happen. It might happen.

What is certain to happen is that California will eventually have a majority population of non-Americans. (note: few Mexican immigrants become US citizens).

Another note: I lived 12 years in Mexico City. Mexican school children are taught that the US stole the southwest from them (which is somewhat correct) and that the SW is rightfully still Mexico's and Mexico will eventually take it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver
    Like pulling out my fingernails.
    Whatever floats your boat
    Last edited by fkurucz; 07-21-2005 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    I don't believe CA will secede. The only state that reserves that right is Texas, and if they thought it possible, I'm sure they would have by now.
    In the end I suppose that it would depend on whether or not they stand to lose more than they would gain.

Regarding the "legality" of seceding, I really doubt that that the US would have the willpower to not allow a state to secede if it so chose.

But in the end this will depend on demographics and loyalties. Will the millions of immigrants (both legal and illegal) that California will absorb in the coming decades eventually consider themselves "Americans"? If they do, then there will be no secession. But I am not so optimistic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast