Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

Funny/Strange/Amusing Happenings during July 17th (and the night before..)!

Just like the thead from May 5th, post some of your own stories!

Sat. July 16th

Most Disappointing Moment I got off of work at 11:00pm on Saturday night. I drove home and took a shower, got everything I needed and headed to Disneyland at about 12:15am. No one on the 5 freeway, so I'm thinking I'm in good shape. Get to the Pumbaa parking lot, and there aren't that many cars, so I still think I'm in good shape... But as soon as I reached the esplanade, I was greated by over 1000 Disney fans that had been waiting in line as early as 5:00pm... My plan was foiled!

Most Surreal Moment Seeing THOUSANDS of hardcore Disney fans sleeping on the ground all over DCA... And then hearing Morrigoon and Disneyphile to a "news report" on the state of the homeless currently residing in DCA...

Best DCA Picture Spot Right Before the second color group was let into Disneyland, we were all in a line in the Hollywood Pictures Backlot area. I went to the bathroom and discovered that I could take a shot of the entire backstage area completely deserted in the morning. Beautiful shot of the street leading all the way to HTH... As a matter of fact, ALL of DCA was pretty cool to shoot at night, especially since we were one of the first groups into the park...

Biggest Disney Geek Out Moment Getting our DATED Gold Mickey Ears, recieving our special one day only park maps, and then discovering the reprinted original park map from 1955 after we unfolded them.

Sun. July 17th

First "WOW" moment Walking across the esplanade and down Main Street while hundreds of CM's lined the streets saying "Happy Birthday!" and "Welcome Home!". Really made you feel like a celebrity.

Longest Line Within minutes people began to storm the 50th Merchandise Line in hopes of getting one of the 5000 Limited Edition "I Was There" Disneyland 50th Birthday pins. The line strectched from Big Thunder Ranch all the way around the Rivers of America to Critter Country...

To make matters worse, once you actually made it to Big Thunder Ranch, there was a 2-3 hour additional wait for your turn to buy your merchandise! It was truly an amazing site...

Best Alternative to Waiting in Line for 50th Merchandise... Getting on rides! For at least 2 hours, Disneyland was almost deserted. All of Fantasyland was walk on, even Peter Pan (although many Fantasyland attractions were closed in preparation for the morning ceremony). Several of us decided to ride Big Thunder Mountain since we were right next to it and the merch. line was moving. We got on TWICE without having to get up! Space Mountain was only 5 min! If you wanted to ride anything, this was your best shot!

Most Pimped Out Walking Cane While waiting in the merch. line, we spotted an elderly lady with a totally customized walking cane. At the bottom, she had Mickey and Minnie, and stars that swirled all the way to the top. It was pretty creative!

Best Micechat Meet Experience Once all of us got together (somewhere around 60-70 people!), we decided to storm the castle lead by our fearless leader Not Afraid (fitting for a fearless leader eh?). We all stood in front of the castle and declared Fantasyland open to all the children of the world, and then we bomb rushed the joint! Best moment after that? Having every Micechatter get aboard the Carousel, and fill it to capacity! Between the backwards "wave" and the continuous shouts of conquest, we had an impressive time! There were even several Disney suits that were checking out our good time!

More to come...
    Last edited by Soulquarian; 07-18-2005 at 10:58 AM.

• Just this guy......

Re: Funny/Strange/Amusing Happenings during July 17th (and the night before..)!

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    Longest Line Within minutes people began to storm the 50th Merchandise Line in hopes of getting one of the 5000 Limited Edition "I Was There" Disneyland 50th Birthday pins. The line strectched from Big Thunder Ranch all the way around the Rivers of America to Critter Country...
    The line got worst. It went to citter country and then turned around and came back to the Potc bridge at one point. They figured it would be a 4 hour wait at that point.

and all the cool stuff was sold out long before I got there.

• They wanna know, HO!

Awww man I'm soooo jellous! Hopefully I'll make it down for the WDW 50th....
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

• Minion

Most Awkward Moment of the Opening Ceremony Well that's a tough decision. Eisner seemed to be making up his speech on the spot as he fumbled over his words and people's names. Then you have The Governator talking about the financial gold mine Disneyland is. While it is true, Disneyland does wonders for California's tourism, I think he should have talked more about the feelings and essence of Disney rather than its economical stature...

Most Overheard Comment About Diane Disney "She looks so much like Walt!"

And Another Happy Birthday To... Art Linkletter! After all these years he's still entertaining the crowd with his wit and charm.

Most Surprising Thing Regarding The 50th's Crowds... They were really stress free! While the lines were VERY long, everything seemed to be going in a very organized fashion. A drastic change to the chaos that was 05-05-05, it was nice to be amongst so many people, and have no fights break out, or nasty word exchanges. Props to Disney for being well prepared!

My Personal Favorite Moment Getting my first Disney Pin! And my girlfriend bought it too. Not a bad one to start either seeing as it was one of the Limited Edition "I Was There" 50th pins. It was $8.75 at the park, but on ebay, they're already selling for over $55!

• For old time sake

Most Pimped Out Walking Cane While waiting in the merch. line, we spotted an elderly lady with a totally customized walking cane. At the bottom, she had Mickey and Minnie, and stars that swirled all the way to the top. It was pretty creative!

We saw this woman pass by us as we waited for our party to arrive for our BB gatheirng!!! I agree with you Soulq...that was one pimped cane!!!!
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Lost in Wonderland

The best part of the 17th was seeing so many smiling people along the parade route. Everyone seemed so happy to be at Disneyland for it's REAL 50th birthday.

Just like the thead from May 5th, post some of your own stories!

Sat. July 16th

i think everyone's jaws were dropping when she walked by.... she was awesome

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

pictures of this cane anyone

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Evan-500
    pictures of this cane anyone
    I didn't have my camera with me, so unfortunately I don't have one... But SOMEBODY has to have one. It was simply one of a kind.

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

Most Surreal Moment And then hearing Morrigoon and Disneyphile to a "news report" on the state of the homeless currently residing in DCA...
    Oh, I can't wait for that to be uploaded........ at least it made a lot of people laugh, onlookers included!

• insufferable know-it-all

D-phile, dear, that was on my *analog* video camera, not my digital. It may not be "uploaded" for months or years (until I build my new computer and add a device for dumping analog to digital.)

Unless our fine friends make a dvd of it

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    D-phile, dear, that was on my *analog* video camera, not my digital. It may not be "uploaded" for months or years (until I build my new computer and add a device for dumping analog to digital.)

Unless our fine friends make a dvd of it
    Sony is releasing a machine that turns VHS tapes into DVDs. The system works for any input, so you can plug in your Tivo, Computer, T.V., Video Game Console... Anything with an out source...

Retails for around $250.

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    It may not be "uploaded" for months or years (until I build my new computer and add a device for dumping analog to digital.)
    Luckily, I *do* have one.

• insufferable know-it-all

Muahahahah!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Mr. Toad's Wild Tongue

Reguarding soulquarian's best micechat meet experience, take a look at my avatar. Darkbeer was also on the side snapping away for his smugmug gallery.

Anyway, for the scariest/tragic moment, someone behind us fainted right before the end of the rededication celebration at 10am and cracked open a big laceration on his head. Blood everywhere! (well not on me at least). Me and my brother and my sister in law stopped and helped a bit until the medics arrived. I felt terrible for him, but luckily it looked to be only a cut that needled stapling.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast