I now know what depression really is :(

Hello everyone. I haven't posted much here, but I have been a long time lurker. I am what most of you would call a rookie to DL, since, other than a trip there in '89, I have only visited each of the past three years. In 2003, my wife and I went to DL on a belated honeymoon, and it was absolutely spectacular. The magic and the sights of DL really struck a chord with me, and I have become, dare I say, obsessed? As soon as we arrived back home, we began making plans to return the next year with our oldest daughter, who would be 4 at the time of the trip. We live in North Dakota, so obviously travelling to DL requires a bit more planning than just jumping in the car and driving across town The following year my daughter was introduced to DL, and I was reminded of my love for DL because of the joy it brought to my daughter.
    Because of the happiness she had at the park, we once again began planning another trip for this year. Believe me, all of you who have the ability to make it to the park weekly (or more) are very lucky individuals. Having to wait a full year between visits is torture. Although I am new (relatively speaking) to visiting DL, I have already begun to feel that sense of "posession" that alot of others here seem to feel, that feeling that the park is, in a sense, "theirs", and "theirs" alone. We spent a week at DL at the beginning of June, and once again, I loved every second spent there, although the vast majority of the time was spent walking between Dumbo and IASW because my daughter just had to go on it one more time Unfortunately, I have another 46 weeks to go until I can once again experience walking down Main Street again. Now, after all of the events of the past 24 hours in DL, looking at the pictures of the events I would have loved to be at, I truly know what DL depression is How do some of you others who cannot visit often fight through it?
    My youngest daughter will be 4 next summer, and that means it will be her first experience with DL. Although she vaguely understands some of the stories her sister has told her about DL, she isn't quite sure what it is all about. I think I am more excited about her seeing DL for the first time than she is! Someone help me. Is there some twelve step program out there for those addicted to DL?

• Official Mice Chat person

Re: I now know what depression really is :(

Quote Originally Posted by kahvit
    Is there some twelve step program out there for those addicted to DL?

If you find one, get it to me quick! I need it too.

I only get to go once a year also, in a way, I'm very greatfull I live so far away and can only go once a year. It makes one week of the year so much more special. I'm afraid I would get sick of it if I went every week. A few years ago we luckily got to go 3 times in one year, it just wasn't the same. Be greatful you only get to gon once a year

And if you want something that can help you, you can always buy the disneyland official album. Listening to the music is great sometimes when you wish you could be at the park.

I hope that I helped

• Lurker Extraordinaire!

oh man i go through the same slump......i only go like once a year too. i usually cope by sitting on this website all day, looking at pictures from past trips...an planning my next trip.

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by kahvit
    Unfortunately, I have another 46 weeks to go until I can once again experience walking down Main Street again. Now, after all of the events of the past 24 hours in DL, looking at the pictures of the events I would have loved to be at, I truly know what DL depression is How do some of you others who cannot visit often fight through it?
    My youngest daughter will be 4 next summer, and that means it will be her first experience with DL. Although she vaguely understands some of the stories her sister has told her about DL, she isn't quite sure what it is all about. I think I am more excited about her seeing DL for the first time than she is! Someone help me. Is there some twelve step program out there for those addicted to DL?
    That feeling goes away after a few days. I wouldn't dwell on it too much, I always just consider it a fun time and look forward to my next trip. I haven't been since December 2002, but I used to go every few months when I was living in Orange County as a kid. I could actually go every week, but I choose to restrict myself to going every few years so as to retain the magic at the park. Disneyland is a very unique place so going there weekly is still tons of fun, but it just doesn't hold the special feeling you get when you only go there every year or so.

Twelve steps is kind of excessive, I just read MiceAge and they tend to have a lot of Disneyland information and pictures. Plus, there are several other sites that have current pictures of Disneyland.

• Hooterville, USA

Music, get the music! All of the rides have great music that will perk you up when you're feeling depressed.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Where Schemes Come True!

Yeah...I second the depressed part...but i do have 9 months till my honeymoon at WDW...so that does help...

• insufferable know-it-all

kahvit: there's really only one solution... move to CA and buy an AP Either that, or do what I did when I lived in Texas- work for the airlines and buy an AP

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

I make it every two years. There's just too much stuff keeping me tied up here to go any more often.

My therapy includes reading and contributing to this board, reading the updates, viewing the pictures (with darkbeer around, I can virtually visit the park nearly every day) and listening to the music and watching the videos that are available from various sites.

It's a day-to-day sort of suffering, but once the kids are older I plan on making more trips, far more often.
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

I totally understand how you feel. I have been feeling the same way since the moment we disembarked from our cruise last month. But, I also figure that the day to go home, is also one day closer to the next time. That really helps.

I've dubbed the "condition" - Post Magic Syndrome.

• Minion

My solution works if you've a visual imagination only. I walk Disneyland in my head all the time, fly through it, imagine making it better.

It's not the same as being there, but it's an internal solace. I usually only visit a few times in a calendar year. So, I know how you're feeling.

Plus, you're already in the right place to get lots of free Disney news and get a feeling for what Disneyland is like at the moment. Lurk, post, whatever, just know that Disneyland is more than just being there nowadays, you can bring it home now...

• Where Schemes Come True!

Yeah...being here makes me not miss Disneyland (and SoCal) as much as I did before I discovered this place...that and my girlfriend/fiance wants to plan a trip to DLR to be there for the Nemo opening so we'll see...
    Many Bothans died to bring MiceChat this information.

I'm a Disney fan in Dollywood land!