Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Paradise Pier's new theme

I mentioned this in 2 other threads but I think it needs its own thread. I know some people think the big Mickey Mouse head doesn't belong on the feris wheel in Paradise Pier, because it doesn't go with the theme of an old California boardwalk. But I think it's obvious that an old California boardwlak
    is not the only theme Disney is going for. It seems to me that the theme Disney is going for is an Old Victorian California Boardwalk with a Disney twist. For example-

-Feris wheel the Disney twist is it's a Mickey Mouse Fun Wheel
    -Old dark ride the Disney twist is it's themed to The Little Mermaid
    -Midway games the Disney twist is it's themed to Toy Story
    -Wild Mouse ride the Disney twist is it's themed to Goffy's Sky Skool

And that's why I think things like a Mickey Mouse Fun Wheel do match the theme of the new Paradise Pier.

Discuss-

Have a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious day!

• lol what

Re: Paradise Pier's new theme

I am agreeing with this alot. D:

Now hang on to them hats n' glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    So is the consensus that Splash Mountain would be way more exciting than Jungle Cruise at Disneyland Paris?
    Zip-a-dee-duh.

Imagine that, instead of Disneyland, Walt Disney built an amusement park with a Ferris wheel sporting Mickey's face and midway games depicting Goofy fishing. Do you think such a place would be successful?

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Imagine that, instead of Disneyland, Walt Disney built an amusement park with a Ferris wheel sporting Mickey's face and midway games depicting Goofy fishing. Do you think such a place would be successful?

I am just saying that like the Mickey head or not it does fit the theme they are going for.

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Well, here's a list of what's gonna happen to Paradise Pier:

Under Disney Characters theme:
    King Triton's Carousel of the Sea
    Toy Story Midway Mania!
    Mickey's Fun Wheel
    Goofy's Sky Skool (Temporary fit I believe)
    The Little Mermaid Ride and Grotto
    Disney's World of Color
    Games of the Boardwalk

Not under any Character Theme:
    California Scremin' (Rumored to get Disney Villans Overlay) (Will add a Paradise Pier Logo)
    Golden Zephyr (Rumored to be relocated)
    Beer Gardens
    Preview Center

Due to be removed in next three years:
    Corn Dog Castle
    Mulholland Madness Theme
    Sun Wheel Theme
    Route 66
    Pizza Oom Mow Mow
    Burger Invasion
    Maliboomer
    Dinosaur Jack's Sunglass Shack
    Jumpin' Jellyfish
    S.S. Rustworthy
    Ariel's Grotto
    Point Mugu Tattoo
    Sideshow Shirts
    Man Hat n' Beach

Unknown at the time:
    Catch a Flave
    Treasures in Paradise

Other Ideas for Paradise Pier not debated: Paradise Bay Boats

Uuuum, the theme kinda seems mixed up right now, its pretty much Disney/Pier/Beer.
    Last edited by DL_CRAZE; 10-19-2007 at 07:49 PM.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

Quote Originally Posted by TBAAFAN View Post
    I am just saying that like the Mickey head or not it does fit the theme they are going for.
    I think you're being generous by calling slapping images of characters onto standard amusement park rides a "theme".

The research Disney has performed asked guests what they think is missing at D.C.A., and, naturally, "Disney characters" is the readily-available answer these guests provide.

It's often difficult for consumers to identify specific problems in these kinds of products. And, Disney is, certainly, expecting too much when the company asks consumers to actually provide solutions. So, I am not surprised that Disney is responding to the research by throwing Disney characters at the problem and by kiddie-fying the whole affair.

The plans for Paradise Pier show how clueless and lost Disney actually is.

All the Victorian stuff looks great, though.

Thumbs down Re: Paradise Pier's new theme

I think you're being generous by calling slapping images of characters onto standard amusement park rides a "theme".

The research Disney has performed asked guests what they think is missing at D.C.A., and, naturally, "Disney characters" is the readily-available answer these guests provide.

It's often difficult for consumers to identify specific problems in these kinds of products. And, Disney is, certainly, expecting too much when the company asks consumers to actually provide solutions. So, I am not surprised that Disney is responding to the research by throwing Disney characters at the problem and by kiddie-fying the whole affair.

The plans for Paradise Pier show how clueless and lost Disney actually is.

In a way I agree with you but I still think the changes are a vast improvement.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

With the Beer Garden (is this suppose to be
    Disney's answer to Sea World's Beer area?)
    It make me think, Disney still thinks you need
    to be drinking in this area to not notice that
    this area STILL is poorly themed.

Game. Set. Match. - great post.

• back in Austin

I agree, and was thinking something similar before reading PI's post. Disneyland isn't awesome because a "Disney twist" was added to standard rides, it's awesome because it took us to new places and gave us new experiences.

I don't know. But Disneyland has a kiddie train, Elephants going around and around in a circle, rockets going around and around in a circle, and what amounts to a carnival shooting gallery. None of those are any better than a ferris wheel.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TBAAFAN View Post
    I mentioned this in 2 other threads but I think it needs its own thread. I know some people think the big Mickey Mouse head doesn't belong on the feris wheel in Paradise Pier, because it doesn't go with the theme of an old California boardwalk. But I think it's obvious that an old California boardwlak
    is not the only theme Disney is going for. It seems to me that the theme Disney is going for is an Old Victorian California Boardwalk with a Disney twist. For example-

-Feris wheel the Disney twist is it's a Mickey Mouse Fun Wheel
    -Old dark ride the Disney twist is it's themed to The Little Mermaid
    -Midway games the Disney twist is it's themed to Toy Story
    -Wild Mouse ride the Disney twist is it's themed to Goffy's Sky Skool

And that's why I think things like a Mickey Mouse Fun Wheel do match the theme of the new Paradise Pier.

Discuss-
    This vaguely makes sense especially if they also add Disney Villians or something to california screamin. However, explain Beer Garden Reasturant and Golden Zephyr...theres no disney twist to those and the former is very un-disney.

Quote Originally Posted by WSVR View Post
    I don't know. But Disneyland has a kiddie train, Elephants going around and around in a circle, rockets going around and around in a circle, and what amounts to a carnival shooting gallery. None of those are any better than a ferris wheel.
    Firstly, Disneyland has a circus train, one that goes by the name of "Casey Jr." He has his own song. He says, "I think I can.... I think I can.... I think I can...." And, he appears at Disneyland as a literal fiction, exactly in the same way he does in the "Dumbo" film.

Secondly, Dumbo the Flying Elephant and the Rocket Jets have always been among the weakest Disneyland attractions, creatively-speaking. Frankly, I wouldn't mind if they were moved into contexts where the stylized designs wouldn't detract as much from their literal surroundings. However, Dumbo was conceived originally as a much stronger idea since each of the flying elephants was pink to suggest an alcohol-induced dream, hallucination, or nightmare. The Mad Tea Party is another strong idea since it depicts the literal fiction of not only a mad tea party, but of the idiom, "to join one in a cup of tea". King Arthur's Carrousel, likewise, is not merely a carnival ride with a medieval design; carrousels, themselves, originated in the Middle Ages as a way to train knights. These attractions show real creativity, even though some may merely spin around in circles.

Thirdly, the "carnival shooting gallery" that appeared when Disneyland first opened was hardly that. Guests were able to shoot on a range with rifles that were neither electronic nor carnivalesque. And, again, both the rifles and the range were literal fictions within the context that Frontierland provided.

Compare these attractions to the ideas for Mickey's Fun Wheel and Goofy Goes Fishing.

The Sun Wheel works because, in a literal sense, the attraction supports the fiction of going to California's beaches and to the Pacific Ocean while, in a stylized sense, the California Sun creates a wheel of rays that suggest a Ferris wheel. As such, The Sun Wheel is one of the few solid ideas at Paradise Pier.

The midway games of Paradise Pier are almost uniformly weak, creatively-speaking. But, the one exception is, perhaps, the dolphin derby since, again, in a stylized way, the game supports the notion of visiting California's beaches and seaside.

The appropriate theme for Paradise Pier is one that shows some sense of history and nostalgia, but that does not necessarily attempt to convince guests that they have travelled back in time. Everything in Paradise Pier should also use oceanic and beachgoing imagery, and, if that requirement means that Disney needs to develop a series of original aquatic characters, then so be it. Additionally, the stylizations should be supported with literal and authentic elements, such as actual sea life. Again, all of these attractions need to add-up to something. They have to provide information, education, or inspiration that transcends the mindless thrill of spinning around in a circle.

Paradise Pier (or "Paradise Coast" or "Paradise Beach") should, in short, be a celebration of the active and carefree lifestyle of California, merely in the mode of an oceanfront amusement zone.

The amusement zone, itself, is incidental.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 10-20-2007 at 05:03 PM.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

PragmaticIdealist, on several occasions you have stated that you do not visit amusement parks, which makes me seriously question you authority regarding boardwalk amusements. I have visited boardwalks and piers on both coasts and nothing like what you describe exists in reality. Paradise Pier, as it exists is incredibly true to the real experience. Paradise Pier needs fantastic elements, but not at the absolute expense of the reality that is already present.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast