Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Know More Than You Should

Post C33's Wayback Machine: DCA 2001

Since I moved to LA in 1999 and started visiting Disneyland on a regular basis, I've been collecting maps. It started by just bringing home and saving the maps I used during the day; now I always get a stack of fresh ones on the way out.

I've done the same on my trips to WDW, and I also collect the various pamphlets and booklets. I have a few maps from DLRP as well.

I keep them all in map holders like so:

I've been working, slowly, on digitizing my map collection, both so they are preserved and so that I can share them. My eventual hope is to create an online museum of Disneyland Resort maps. It just takes a long time to scan all of the parts of the map and stitch them together.

What I'd like to share with you all today, though, is a map from back in 2001. August of 2001 to be exact. It's from my first trip to Disney's California Adventure.

In light of all of the heated discussion about the changes that will be coming to Disney's California Adventure, we must remember how much has already changed in the past 6 1/2 years.

Disney's Electrical Parade had just opened. Tower of Terror did not exist. Disney's Steps in Time was playing at the Hyperion Theater. Eureka! - A California Parade rolled through the streets of DCA every day. There was no A Bug's Land. Superstar Limo and ABC Soap Opera Bistro were still open. Robert Mondavi and Wolfgang Puck were proud sponsors.

Lights! Camera! Chaos, on the other hand, had already been replaced.

Here is the map. Clicking on the image will bring you to a much larger one:

It's interesting to note how many of the entertainment offerings have since vanished without a trace. I for one still remember Chance to Shine and Minnie Mouse doing meet-and-greets in front of the plane in Condor Flats.

While it's not listed on here, Seasons of the Vine not only played continously (and drew a crowd) but offered free wine samples (perhaps that is what is needed to bring the audiences back? ).

What are your thoughts on how DCA has changed since opening? What memories do you have of the 2001-era DCA?

Also, if you would like to see more DLR maps from the last 8 years, let me know and I might do some more of these threads.

• Celebrate Today

Re: C33's Wayback Machine: DCA 2001

^ Very Awesome Collection you have!
    -Alex

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Amazing! Thank you for this!

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

I remember the Soap Opera Diner with fondness. That was a truly unique experience and was truly "Disney" in that it took you to a new world for that hour you had lunch. Its a shame that didn't last more than a few months. It also fit into the Backlot theme very well... much better than playhouse disney.

The Eureka parade was also very under rated... and once again... fit into the california theme a heck of a lot better than Block Party Bash.

Very fun thread and it nice to a fellow map collector. Let me know when the online museum opens or if you need help, because I would definitely be interested.

On Topic: My wife and I miss the D.U.H. shows in HPB. I thought the cast did a fantastic job and it was guaranteed to give me a good laugh. The shows were so unique that we would actually sit and watch performance after performance.
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

I didn't go a lot before I got hired, so I only have vague memories, but I seem to remember some pretty cool street performers in the Backlot area near the Shmoozies shop.

And I got to be (kinda) some of the early entertainment - my high school choir was only the 2nd group to perform on the Backlot Stage for Magic Music Days. So my vote goes to the Kaiser High School Madrigals as the group I miss most from DCA
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• Minion

Great collection.

I do remember the early DCA days. I was there when you could dine in Pucks all by yourself and walk through sections without seeing anybody but your group.

As a side note, I bought the first (or one of the very first) Park Hopper AP's when they came out.
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

Another thing I remember is Hollywood in Dine, which is where we had lunch. What's interesting is that it's still there, just sitting there closed.

And GoldenBoy, I wholeheartedly agree about SOB. I ate there and despite not at all being a fan of soap operas had a great time.

I do understand though that DCA just had too many restaurants when it opened and not enough rides., which is why both of these are closed. I do wonder if the Soap Opera Bistro concept could ever be brought back at a different location in DCA (or perhaps Dowtown Disney), since it was a concept that made sense and also had the synergy of the ABC soaps (the Super Soap weekends are still popular at MGM after all). But perhaps giving the retheming of DCA that is taking place that will no longer make sense.

Thats so funny! I have the same amount of maps, probably more that you have! I started collecting in 2001 when DCA first opened, and i have lots of maps all the way up to the current ones. My family always looks at me funny because when i leave the park i get a Stack of them, but i know that the park is going to chance so its nice to have a way to look back and see what the parks looked liked of that year. I just finished completing my Disneyland Anniversary Map Collection, i have maps from the 10th, 25,30th,40,45th,and 50th. Those are my most prized maps! Ill try to put a picture on here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandFan1997 View Post
    Thats so funny! I have the same amount of maps, probably more that you have! I started collecting in 2001 when DCA first opened, and i have lots of maps all the way up to the current ones. My family always looks at me funny because when i leave the park i get a Stack of them, but i know that the park is going to chance so its nice to have a way to look back and see what the parks looked liked of that year. I just finished completing my Disneyland Anniversary Map Collection, i have maps from the 10th, 25,30th,40,45th,and 50th. Those are my most prized maps! Ill try to put a picture on here soon.
    Perhaps a new thread is in order... "Map Collections"
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandFan1997 View Post
    Wow, cool! Yeah I didn't really start making sure I grabbed maps until around 2004- so most of my maps are through the 50th celebration period.

That's very cool. If I ever get my Map museum going I'll let you know. The goal will be to have as many maps as possible.

• Imaginative Possibilities

great picture...I never really realised how much there WASN'T in the park...we have come quite a ways for just 6 years...
    You can't talk S*** unless your gonna do something about it...

Thumbs up Re: C33's Wayback Machine: DCA 2001

here ya go! Heres a scan of the first maps that were produced for the opening of California Adventure!, its nice to know that these maps will soon be collector items in the next ten years DCA will look different and we can all look back at these maps and see how tiny the park was and has changed,and for those who were there for the first few years of its opening in 2001.

#1 Is the map that was given to Cast Members & Their Family's who were there for the Cast Preview Day. #2 Opening Day Map!February 8th, 2001 ( I Remember this day very well, with the media and big show they did at the main gate)

Heres what the insert Read inside the map! there was a message from Cynthia Harris(former Disneyland President at that time): Entertainment! EUREKA PARADE, STEPS IN TIME, and GET A GRIP!

#3. The Annual Pass holder Map which was given out on preview days!

I still have some of those original DCA maps, with the funky change of perspective that was Monorail/Goldengate/Grizzly/SunWheel/CaliScreamin'... so odd.

• Minion

Even the first maps were bad. I remember going to DCA in March of 2001. The park was almost empty. We had a blast though.
    Jeff Wayne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast