Candy Corn Acres

So allow me to preface by saying this is not a DCA bashing thread.

But.....

I was at the park last week and hated Candy Corn Acres. I thought the decorations were cheap and tacky. What made everything feel and look even worse... was the fact that the decorations in DL are so well done. I thought it looked about the same quality as the decorations you would see on a homecoming float made by a high school. Very cheap and unimaginitve... a giant half-eaten piece of Candy Corn... yuck.

And that show they have there... I could go on and on about the low quality of the songs and performers. Why not have a pumpkin patch theme here... maybe eving a makeshift pumpkin patch where kids could buy pumpkins. Anything but Candy Corn Acres.

I haven't seen much posted here on this subject... but I was wondering what other Disney lovers thought of this holiday "enhancement" to DCA.

I love DCA... but I hated it with this Candy Corn Acres.

Re: Candy Corn Acres

I rather liked the decorations, what I didn't care so much for was the show....... why does it have to block access to the rest of the park? Why couldn't it have been done on that terraced and unused section near the great lake on the other side of the park?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Cheap and tacky is Santa's Beach Blast.

Candy Corn Acres might not be the best thing, but I think its at least more clever and well-thought out than that horrendous sand castle Santa Claus set-up that invades Sunshine Plaza every year. I didn't think the show was terrible ... it was obviously on a tiny budget, but it for the target audience (small kids), it wasn't bad. That's not to say it shouldn't have been much, much more though.

Either way, we won't have to endure anymore of the cheap holiday overlays that get dumped on Sunshine Plaza for much longer once Walt Disney Plaza moves in.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Shubisha

I think all the candy corn stuff in the trees and planted is creative. I mean disneyland's decorations are essentially a bunch of pumpkins. While that's great there's nothing wrong with trying to have some variety and go for something completely different to decorate the mood. I'd love a bunch of hay around too. What happened to the corn maze though? I thought there was gonna be a candy corn maze in bug's land and there wasn't, not even during halloween treat.

The show I dislike though.. at least in the main entryway. And during halloween treat it's worse because they moved the farmer's market dance stage to there so in the park's main hub and the entryway to the park you have music like backstreet boys and Grease blasting all night instead of the halloween background loop playing in the rest of the park.

Cool Re: Candy Corn Acres

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Cheap and tacky is Santa's Beach Blast.

Candy Corn Acres might not be the best thing, but I think its at least more clever and well-thought out than that horrendous sand castle Santa Claus set-up that invades Sunshine Plaza every year.
    I have never been to DCA for the Christmas decorations. But your description terrifies me for when I go this year. What gets me so much about the Candy Corn Acres... its the first time I have ever been truly disappointed by a Disney Holiday Celebration. I havent been to Disneyland at Christmas since the Rocket Rods Era... and I cringe at the thought that DCA is going to ruin it for me this year.

I say start putting up the refurb walls... and lets sacrifice the DCA holiday decor this year.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBoySC99 View Post
    I have never been to DCA for the Christmas decorations. But your description terrifies me for when I go this year. What gets me so much about the Candy Corn Acres... its the first time I have ever been truly disappointed by a Disney Holiday Celebration. I havent been to Disneyland at Christmas since the Rocket Rods Era... and I cringe at the thought that DCA is going to ruin it for me this year.

I say start putting up the refurb walls... and lets sacrifice the DCA holiday decor this year.
    If you don't feel like throwing up your hand-made candy cane from Main Street, or your peppermint hot chocolate, avoid Sunshine Plaza. Just... don't look. Wear a blind fold when you're passing through and have somebody guide you. Or enter the park through the Grand Californian entrance.

Maybe I'm exaggerating. But I loathe Santa's Beach Blast with every fiber of my being.
    Why?

- Planters lose all plantlife - instead, they are filled with white sand to represent the "beach" and "snow."
    - Santa in aloha shirts and shorts.
    - Reindeer in lifeguard towers
    - "Sand castle" stage for Santa to do meet-and-greets on
    - Surfboards + Santa Claus = WTF?
    - This thing
    - It's ugly.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    - Santa in aloha shirts and shorts.
    Santa should never wear an aloha shirt. I may just skip DCA in December and just take in the DL decorations.

On a side note.... they don't have the sheet of ice at the DLH anymore do they? I thought that was one of the coolest things when I was a kid... seeing Mickey and Minney Skate around. It was like Rockefeller Center... so classy... and oh so Disney.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

I enjoy candy corn acres... and all its candy corn goodness!

• ...TWO BITS!

From what I understood, there was a backburner focus for Candy Corn Acres to later be put in Bugs land in the future. Not sure where I read it, but I'm pretty this info is correct. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Haven't seen this in person, only photos. Is there a video up of the show?

I also dislike Santa's Beach Blast. Now THAT'S tacky.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park