Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Sun Wheel To Become Mickey's Fun Wheel

Among the many DCA changes to take place is the possible replacement of the sun on the Sun Wheel with Mickey's face. This means the attraction would take on a new name. Mickey's Sun Wheel is the name floating about in Disney circles.

Should all of this be the case, the face of Mickey on California Screamin' would disappear, and likely another emblem appear in it's place. How beautiful Mickey's Fun wheel would look reflecting out onto the lake - especially when it is lit up at night. These are fun times indeed!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• or CBF

Re: Sun Wheel To Become Mickey's Fun Wheel

Hasn't this already been confirmed?

Al said in his article (10/18) that the Sun Wheel 's face would be removed in favor of an old-fashioned mickey emblem. The modern one on Screamin' would be replaced in favor of a Victorian style ad for Paradise Pier.

• no flash photography...

The old fashion face sounds a bit better, but it also sounds a bit cheesy to me.

• Pilot EdForceOne

I think this is one of the worst examples in the whole DCA annoucements. Slapping mickey's face on something... where's the creative and emmotion inspiring in that?

At least Screaming works with the icon through the loop
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

^

Well, this comes back to the original theme of Paradise Pier as a seaside carnival with rides that are supposed to be rides - how much can you do with a ferris wheel that's supposed to be a ferris wheel? Without some radical thematic change to the land, anything they do to this attraction is pretty much going to be slapping an image onto it.

Perhaps they could have continued the "seaside" theme that's (possibly) going to be enhanced by The Little Mermaid attraction. They could have slapped a giant starfish on the side of it, or something...

I think that the illustration of the Mickey wheel in and of itself looks good, and it reminds me of the beginning of the old Mickey theatrical shorts (which I used to watch when I was a kid, when they were shown on TV all the time), so there is something of an "emotional connection" for me.

As to how it fits into the theme of the land - we know it's a Victorian pier, but do we know that it's set in the 1900's? It could be set in the 20's or 30's - I'm not up on my pierside carnival history, but perhaps they were still Victorian in style then. So long as its set after 1928, it's not anachronistic.

If it is supposed to be in the 1900's...well, I'm of two minds about that. On one hand, the characters from the theatrical shorts are able to freely transcend time, unlike most of their feature film counterparts. Mickey can play the Brave Little Tailor and Jack and the Beanstalk and the Prince and the Pauper, and still be regular ol' present day Mickey - and in whatever present day he's in, 1928 or 2007, he's still the same Mickey, at least in that he doesn't age. On the other hand, the classic Mickey specifically conjures up images of the 1920's and 30's, which would be a little weird in a 1900's setting.

I like the California Screamin' Mickey logo, but it might be more thematically beneficial to have a period sign for Paradise Pier. I also agree with what's been said in other threads about the existing sun logo being more Victorian - ironically, one of the few Victorian elements in the current pier.
    Last edited by animagusurreal; 10-22-2007 at 07:10 AM.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

First- exciting times indeed! I am a fan of the Mickey face.

But to think Disney is just slapping an image on the wheel? Come on now! Paradise Pier will not be home to just amusement rides much longer. Surely Mickey will play a key role in a water spectacular in 2009. Al has said that one of the fountains will climb as high as the Sun Wheel.

I do not believe it will just be a new structure just to house new lighting effects but it will also create a backdrop for this new show.

How can a sun face play a role in a show themed to the characters of Walt Disney? If anything, it would be an eyesore in the middle of all that is going around it.
    Last edited by ROBONICS95; 10-22-2007 at 07:20 AM.
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

I think it will make the "pier" so much more well.... "FUN" and not so serious and i think it will add a little bit of fantasy and wimsy to the whole area.

• Iron-Clad Allie

To tell the truth, I like all three emblems - the current Sun Wheel sun, the proposed classic Mickey, and the modern mickey on california screamin'. Robonics is currect in their assertion that the classic mickey will serve as a cool backdrop for the coming Wonderful World of Color water show, as will the entire rethemed Mickey's fun Wheel. The modern CS Mickey is beautiful - especially when lit up at night.

As far as the Victorian theme goes, the overall structures will be in perfect keeping with it. The Disney emblems, however, will not be - no matter how hard they try to fit them in. Does this ruin the entire spirit of the renovation for me? No. That wouild be silly. Disney themes have always involved "poetic license", and been about fantasy more so than reality anyway. So, the classic Mickey works for me. I hope they will keep the coaster Mickey as it is, and find another place to use the sun emblem.

Anywho, nothing is written in complete stone right now. If some of you would like to contribute your opinion to the redesigning of the Paradise Pier area, I would suggest that you write and call Disneyland Resort Guest Communications. As always, that's what I will be doing. They really do listen.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 10-25-2007 at 10:35 PM.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by ROBONICS95 View Post
    First- exciting times indeed! I am a fan of the Mickey face.

But to think Disney is just slapping an image on the wheel? Come on now! Paradise Pier will not be home to just amusement rides much longer. Surely Mickey will play a key role in a water spectacular in 2009. Al has said that one of the fountains will climb as high as the Sun Wheel.

I do not believe it will just be a new structure just to house new lighting effects but it will also create a backdrop for this new show.

How can a sun face play a role in a show themed to the characters of Walt Disney? If anything, it would be an eyesore in the middle of all that is going around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jj3352 View Post
    I think it will make the "pier" so much more well.... "FUN" and not so serious and i think it will add a little bit of fantasy and wimsy to the whole area.
    Robonics and jj, I absolutely agree with both of you. These are exciting, fun and whimsical times!

• Minion

what was worng with the origanal emblem? It was both fun and beautiful. I honestly don't get it! the multi layered sun emblem doest work because people forget they are in a Disney park or because the sun is to California?will some one please explain to me why the mickey face is such an improvement...I just cant understand the change. out of all the plans coming from WDI this is the one I pray falls on the wayside.

While no one really knows why, exactly, WDI has decided to place Mickey on the Sun Wheel.

I tend to believe that the new Mickey face will play a role in the new nighttime water show slated to open in Paradise Bay in 2009.

Otherwise, you are right! There is no reason to change it to Mickey if it was not adding to the back drop for this new show which will indeed populate a majority if the bay.
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

D.C.A. is failing because Mickey's face isn't on the Ferris wheel.

Haven't you heard?

• Be Patient I'm Learning!!

As weird as this will sound, it always bothered my that the loop on screamin' did not match the Mickey face. I am sure there is a perfectly good reason it doesn't, but visually I always thought it looked stupid, except at night. So I like the changes, I think the old fashioned Mickey will look good on the Sun Wheel and that a Paradise Pier "poster" will look good on the coaster.
    Christina

I never liked the mouse ears on the roller coaster, either.

I just don't like the idea of slapping an image of Mickey onto a roller coaster or a Ferris wheel. Doing so cheapens both him and Paradise Pier.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 10-22-2007 at 10:31 AM.

• Minion

I get the idea about the show and it's Mickey mouse backdrop but today I woke up and the sun was still rising. every thing the light touched was golden and new. or maybe the golden hue is due to the fires in Malibu but my point is with out the sun we wouldn't have colorful sunrises or sunsets I thought the sun was a vary appropriate backdrop because life and color are born from its golden rays. So while I understand the decision I, like most people disagree with the mickey sun wheel.

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast