• Walt A Head Of His Time!

DCA's Just Close it for A Year?

Does anyone else think that spreading the rebirth of DCA over 5 years is watering down what could really be a great new park. Why not close down DCA for a year and really bring the bulldozers in. Then in a year they could market a whole new park with a new name. It just seems that attendance would be higher for a whole new parks first year than what they would loose by closing down. If the park is really going to be great then they should be able to get two times the amount of people in the doors, making up for the year of closeur. It just seems that adding new rides over 5 years is so slow when they could make a big splash. They could even build bridges or tunnels to TOT, Soaring, Screaming and MidWay Mania and charge a fee for those rides. Does anyone else agree?

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

Re: DCA's Just Close it for A Year?

this is an interesting idea, but theres just one problem.....disney loves money! there not going to void a whole year of potential business
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

Ah, No!
    I don't think this is a good idea. Where would all the people that you've just eliminated their jobs go to work? Are they to sit around collecting unemployment for a year while Disney gets the new park built? Don't think that will fly.
    Are all those displaced CM's now going to work in Disneyland?
    Ah, No!
    That will cut down on all the CM's hours that are already short enough. So we're suppose to have them take my hours now just because they've been displaced. I don't think that idea will fly with too many CM's.
    And building a bridge, or tunnel won't work either. The only one that would be easily accessible would be for Soaring since it's backed up to the outer edge of the park itself. But making a bridge/tunnel would be silly to invest all that money for a temporary situation.

Sorry, I can't agree with you.

Do you how much more crowded Disneyland Park would be? Already there's no such thing as an Off Season anymore, if California Adventure were to close, Disneyland Park would be closed to capacity almost every day. Weekends would be hell. And, how would they be able to merge all DCA Cast Members with Disneyland's. That would mean less hours for others. Less hours=Less money. And being charged for taking a ride on Tower of Terror, Soarin', or Midway Mania? We're not living in the 70s anymore, we haven't paid for individual rides for over 20 years, there's no way people will willingly or happily do it again.

Closing DCA for a year would be a very stupid bad idea, on Disney's part.

• D'LAND BIRTH YEAR BABY

I had started another thread on the same subject, my thoughts. DLR cannot keep cm's and understaffed anyway there are probably enough hours to absorb a shut down ( job fairs all the time , high turnover )
    My other thoughts were if they have a 5 year plan building and financially do it in less and open quicker and avoid rising development cost of the labor force enhancing the park what it will cost now will go up over time this will offset the $ lost in revenues from admission ( are there really any revenues besides the aprox 20.00 add on for the hopper?) maybe food and souvineers which will be purchased at Disneyland instead. Keep the guest informed have the preview center in the esplanade so guest still get excited about the "new and improved park" changing info as it becomes avaliable... ride vehicles as they come out of production, virtual computer stations showing the improvements... I thinks it could be pulled off and reduce the building time by at least 50% but most likely more.
    Also what kind of money is going to be put into a temporay entrance to the park while the front is being reworked and tarps ... tarps are expensive.

• D'LAND BIRTH YEAR BABY

In reality we will be charged for riding, Soarin, Tot, Screaming but not per ride put in the form of 20.00 or so.

• Walt A Head Of His Time!

The CM's could easily be absorbed into Disneyland in a few months with the high turnover. Tunnels and bridges were just a thought it could be a parking lot tram or something to get you over to Midway and Screaming. It would have to be less expensive than building all the walls and infrastructure to keep DCA presentable to guests plus a better guest experience not to have bull dozer's and cranes everywhere. I don't think Disneyland would be that much more crowded DCA is all AP's anyway. I would gladly take a year of crowded Disneyland to have a new DCA park all ready to go as a whole new experience all put together instead of chunks over 5 years.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Some things to ponder

- if you 'abosrbed all the cms' into DL... so you get to a level that only DL is 'stocked' - when you goto open DCA again you are in a monster deficit of help.

- removing a park would require disney to restruct all its ticket pricing - including all those AP holders. It would not fly with people to get 1 park when they initially paid for 2 - even if they didn't like the park.

- Would WDI even have all the man power to handle so many projects in a condensed time schedule? Probably not. It would be very costly to try to do so much more at the same time.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Some things to ponder

- if you 'abosrbed all the cms' into DL... so you get to a level that only DL is 'stocked' - when you goto open DCA again you are in a monster deficit of help.

- removing a park would require disney to restruct all its ticket pricing - including all those AP holders. It would not fly with people to get 1 park when they initially paid for 2 - even if they didn't like the park.

- Would WDI even have all the man power to handle so many projects in a condensed time schedule? Probably not. It would be very costly to try to do so much more at the same time.
    ALL valiid points, but I would add to the second one that not only would they have to restructure ticket prices, they would have to restructure HOTEL prices as well. Currently the ONLY justification (officially) for the Grand being so expensive is the private gate into DCA. With that gone, the cost would be outrageous to many. Also, any room you stayed in would have the sound of bulldozers 24-7 & a view of a construction site. (as opposed to right now where only about a third of them do).

It's a great thought and I had the same one initially, but I think there are too many reasons it's not logistical.
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Quote Originally Posted by InnerSpace View Post
    Do you how much more crowded Disneyland Park would be? Already there's no such thing as an Off Season anymore, if California Adventure were to close, Disneyland Park would be closed to capacity almost every day. Weekends would be hell. And, how would they be able to merge all DCA Cast Members with Disneyland's. That would mean less hours for others. Less hours=Less money. And being charged for taking a ride on Tower of Terror, Soarin', or Midway Mania? We're not living in the 70s anymore, we haven't paid for individual rides for over 20 years, there's no way people will willingly or happily do it again.

Closing DCA for a year would be a very stupid bad idea, on Disney's part.
    Where you put the strike in stupid, I will say it.

It is a stupid idea
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

• no flash photography...

closing it is a bad idea. people will just be speculating on all the changes, getting their expectations all out of whack and then walk in saying...it's still dca with more cartoon characters up...better to let the changes happen out in the open so to speak.

• The one, the only...

Part of the reason that Disney wants to take 5 years to redo DCA is it can spread that billion dollars over 5 years of capital expenditures rather than one year. I agree that it would be better to bite the bullet, close DCA and have a fantastic Grand Re-opening for the park, but financially it really is not possible.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!