• =)

"Old Matterhorn" video on YouTube!

Okay, I am so sorry if this has been posted before...but I've just found footage of a type I've never seen posted before. This YouTube clip shows footage of the Matterhorn as it existed in the early 70s, before the introduction of Harold and all the ice caves inside. Unfortunately, the clip shows none of the empty superstructure inside the mountain, but it does show something I've wanted to see for a long time--the view from the top of the lift hill, overlooking Tomorrowland. Yes, that's right...Tomorrowland. Everyone says it overlooked Main Street, but it actually showed a lot more Tomorrowland than Main Street.

Anyway, I'm very excited about this. And oddly enough, the film is too slow. Watch how gently the bobsleds appear to be gliding along the tracks!

• Future Imagineer!!

Re: "Old Matterhorn" video on YouTube!

woa!

sooooo cool!!!!!!

Keeper of the Dynamite Goat on RCMC

• Sock Puppet

You've found the Holy Grail.

those sleds are adorable.

• Membre

Great video!!! Thanks.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Unfortunately, the clip shows none of the empty superstructure inside the mountain, but it does show something I've wanted to see for a long time--the view from the top of the lift hill, overlooking Tomorrowland. Yes, that's right...Tomorrowland. Everyone says it overlooked Main Street, but it actually showed a lot more Tomorrowland than Main Street.
    The right side track gave a nice view of Main Street at the top of the lift. This clip is of the left side track.

Great video. Ahhh, memories.

• =)

The right side track gave a nice view of Main Street at the top of the lift. This clip is of the left side track.
    Ah, yes. I'm a little slow. Both tracks initially point in the same direction, so the view is mainly of Tomorrowland for both tracks at first, but then the right track turns right. The holes are a lot wider than I thought they were, so you're absolutely right--through the turn, guests would have had a nice view of Main Street.

• been away for a while

Carson City Nevada , no it's not near Vegas

wow , great find , i can't believe how much it's changed! at the top of the lift hill now you are still in total darkness

My Maleficent tattoo

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Great video, but it's WAY before the 70's. Stop the video when it's at the top of the lift and looking into Tomorrowland. If it was from the 70's, you'd see the updated 1967 Tomorrowland. This has Tomorrowland PRE 1967. This is at least early 60's, maybe even around the time of opening. SWEET!

• =)

Yup, GrimmGreen, that was one of the major changes to the ride. Check out Yesterland for shots of the inside, which didn't have any ice caves. HUGE change.

Great video, but it's WAY before the 70's. Stop the video when it's at the top of the lift and looking into Tomorrowland. If it was from the 70's, you'd see the updated 1967 Tomorrowland. This has Tomorrowland PRE 1967. This is at least early 60's, maybe even around the time of opening. SWEET!
    Good gracious me, you're right. Good catch!

When the people are first getting into the bobsled,that looks the mid 70's. the actual ride footage is early 60's. That's what I think. Cool footage either way.

• Delawarean Girl

I didn't go on it, when I went to Disneyland. But that does look like it would be fun now. I should have given it a shot.

• =)

Yes, you should have! It's a really enjoyable classic coaster. That clip really doesn't give you a very good sense of what the ride's like now, though. Harold the abominable snowman moved in during the late 70s, and he gives riders on each track a few scares. The huge openings at the top of the lift hill are gone, replaced with dark passages in which Harold's eyes glow. The ride's faster than it looks in the video, and you go through lots of small caves and grottoes within the mountain.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

So. Cool.

Thank you.