• Minion

Eisner changes his tune on Disneyland 50th

I'm just back from the Disney Annual Meeting in Minneapolis and was interested to note that a huge banner in the auditorium read >>Disneyland 50<< instead of the generic 50 Happy Homecoming campaign. And during his speech, Eisner pointedly said >>DISNEYLAND's 50th anniversary<< a phrase all-but-avoided in the press up to now.

Note to Michael: Saying it doesn't make it true. You've neglected the park for far too long to say that now you want to celebrate it. Jeesh. Too little, too late.

I'll be happy when (and if) he finally steps down. Anyone placing bets on if he truly will leave the company completely?

• Sock Puppet

I agree that it may be too little too late, but at least he is doing something. Eisner doesn't have much time left and I think he is going about his final days with the goal of leaving a good taste in the mouths of those who lost faith in him so long ago.
    As a member of SaveDisney, I want to see him out of here as soon as possible, but until then it would be nice to get some good publicity for the real park, Disneyland!

• I like Cheese...

My read on this would be that he is trying to placate those that are sympathetic to Roy's cause, and trying to lock in a position on the board.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    I'm just back from the Disney Annual Meeting in Minneapolis and was interested to note that a huge banner in the auditorium read >>Disneyland 50<< instead of the generic 50 Happy Homecoming campaign. And during his speech, Eisner pointedly said >>DISNEYLAND's 50th anniversary<< a phrase all-but-avoided in the press up to now.
    That is the way it is with Marketing Campaigns... Eisner probably discovered that it is running over budget... And that the benifit isn't likely to be that big for the effort they produce...

I live over 400 miles away from Disneyland and can walk into a local grocery store and there are huge check out stand displays where you can purchase a gift card for a 3 day park hopper ticket...

Being a Marketing Professional in for a Napa Valley Wine company... In the back of my mind, I am thinking... They are WAY over doing this thing...

And when visitors do buy these cards and take a trip down to go to Disneyland, and discover that half the park is being referbished?.?.?.? and a run down Tomorrowland????

All I can think of is, "How embarrasing!" :o

But it would be more embarrasing if they go and find everything in dissaray...

• Vehicle rotating backward

Half my brain thinks Eisner is going to do an about-face and make some big long-wanted changes so as to go out on a high note and be able to take credit for it.

The other half thinks Eisner will be even more tight-fisted so as to screw over his successor. Such as greenlighting the Nemo ride so Iger or someone else can open it and take the credit instead. I expect a lot of quick fixes either way, honestly.

I agree in the thinking that Eisner wants to be seen as someone who really does care in his last days at Disney. But the only people who will really look at this as anything great is stock analysts. They do not see what has been done to employee moral or what the sad state the parks were/are in. All they care about is the bottom line for that quarter.

If he really wants to be seen as a good guy by us PAYING CUSTOMERS he should be talking about lowering the price of food in the park. I mean come on 7 dollars for a hotdog and a bag of chips.