View Poll Results: Which 50th Celebration Event Would/Did You Prefer?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Disneyland's Kick-off Celebration in May

5 17.24%
  • The July 17th Actual Birthday Event

23 79.31%
  • Enjoyed the 4th of July Or Another Event To Either Disneyland Event

0 0%
  • Haven't payed much attention to any event in the past several months.

1 3.45%

• Iron-Clad Allie

Which Celebration Did You Prefer?

Between May's kick-off to the 50th Celebration, and the Disneyland's actual birthday Celebration on July 17th, there were two different extremes, in terms of press coverage.

The media blitz at the the kick-off served to cover and promote every important aspect of what happened that day. The drawback was that regular guests were blocked from viewing most of the events, and media tents were one big obstruction. Crowd control became a serious issue. Scores of guests found it difficult, if not impossible, to even find a decent viewing place for the Believe... fireworks and the Parade of Dreams. On top of everything else, few rides were open.

On the 17th, crowd control was far less of an issue as most all of the crowd eating rides were open, and the media didn't obstruct the viewing of the day's events hardly at all. Unfortunately, the press barely covered the event, and there was scarcely a word about it in the news.

So, it seems as though the Resort went from one extreme to the other. Disneyland celebrated the 50th with the media during the May kick-off. It appears as though the intent of the Julu 17th event was primarily geared toward the guest experience - although, there are likely many guests who do not feel this was accomplished.

With all of this in mind, did you prefer the 50th kick-off, or the recent celebration on Disneyland's actual birthday? Or, did you not care for either of them, and enjoy another event (such as the 4th of July) much more?
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-19-2005 at 02:24 PM.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Which Celebration Did You Prefer?

I enjoyed the idea of the actual celebration on July 17th far more! I'm happy that those who attended were able to enjoy most all of the rides, and that the media didn't add to the crowd control problems as it did in May.

• Lowering Expectations

Re: Which Celebration Would/Did You Prefer?

Even though I was at the kickoff May 5th and not the Birthday two days ago, I voted for the Birthday. The day Disneyland turns 50 (meant to honor a man and his dream) means more to me than the start of their celebration (which was made to bring in attendance).

• @ DENIAL ISLAND

Wish you were here!!! Come on in the water's fine @ Club DENIAL

It is difinitly not May 5th being 5 people from the front and not see much wasn't Disney Magic. But I was there and with great friends and a whole lot of new friends. The people made that day.

It was difinitly July 17th!!!! It was so better planned.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Judging by those who have chosen the the birthday over the kick-off, I would say that, compared to the May event, July 17th went pretty well Minus the lack of coverage of course).

• Banned User

I personally enjoyed the fireworks on May 5th. It was a once in a lifetime event where everyone cheered a whole bunch for their favorite part of the show. It was the emotion that was missing from July 17th. I have to say though that the May 5th celebration was a disaster cause of the media, etc. The 17th was way better in that aspect. I personally wish they would of held off on Space Mountain until the 17th.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    I personally enjoyed the fireworks on May 5th. It was a once in a lifetime event where everyone cheered a whole bunch for their favorite part of the show. It was the emotion that was missing from July 17th. I have to say though that the May 5th celebration was a disaster cause of the media, etc. The 17th was way better in that aspect. I personally wish they would of held off on Space Mountain until the 17th.
    It's only natural that people were anxious for the new Space Mountain to officially open as soon as possible. However, it would have made more sense to begin soft openings on May 4th and 5th, and, then, officially begin the ride on July 17th. The fact that the SM "birthday present" was opened early, and no other new attraction made it's debut, resulted in an anti-climatic day, to this end. There may have been a little more news coverage as well.

• Hooterville, USA

Couldn't go to any of the above. I need a better pass.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Iron-Clad Allie

I think I'm looking for the same kind of pass that you are. They are apparently pretty hard to come by.

Looking at your picture, Druggas, all that's left of of Gilligan's Island is a skeleton crew.

• Lowering Expectations

I must admit, viewing the fireworks on May 5th was the best time ever, just for the enthusiasm of the AP crowd in attendance. Boy, did they ever cheer...

• Iron-Clad Allie

Several people have been commenting on the great time that the had at the May 5th fireworks. Hopefully, most of the AP crowd were able to secure places with a good view.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-19-2005 at 09:04 PM.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    The may 5th Believe... fireworks must have been utterly briliant, and emotionally stirring.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Where's Barbie?
    It is difinitly not May 5th being 5 people from the front and not see much wasn't Disney Magic. But I was there and with great friends and a whole lot of new friends. The people made that day.

It was difinitly July 17th!!!! It was so better planned.
    It seems like most preferred the smoother ran actual birthday.

• Social Imagineer

As a good friend of mine commented, it might have added something to the actual birthday event if it were the last day of the fireworks, the photo montages, the Castle decorations and the unhidden fifties. These special 50th anniversary touches that premiered in May made for a bunch of fun discoveries on May 5th that were very anniversary oriented. Humongous crowds, food-service sick-out, crowd-control nightmares, and absurd viewing obstructions marred the day, but happy guests and new anniversary decor/entertainment saved it.

Flash forward to July 17 when there was really nothing new for the birthday. Those of us who frequent the Park were, in fact, quite over the surprise and newness of the decorations & entertainment, and - without anything new to add on the 17th - only a "last chance" to see them would have brought them back into the proper spotlight for the actual birthday.

Of course, the best thing to do would have been to supplement the May 5th additions with some special surprises for the birthday. But Jumbotrons was all we got, and that was plain pathetic. Cupcakes and ears were a nice touch, but far too modest to be the entirety of the birthday celebrations. A teaser post-Remember announcement only served to remind the guests that a fireworks encore was missing. There was no cool nighttime lighting, and a really mundane daytime ceremony was severly lacking in excitement and spectacle.

But far less crowds this time, excellent crowd control this time, and very happy guests once again saved the day. Disneyland did very little for its big birthday, but fans did very much. The dozens and dozens of friends I spent time having big fun with over the weekend made the 50th an event I'll remember forever.

So, in the end, July 17th and the surrounding days were far better than anything in May - - no thanks to Disneyland.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Cupcakes, golden esrs, Jumbotron screens and better crowd control - that's too little too late - too bad. Disneyland should have waited until 7/17 to officially open Space Mountain. It jumped the gun.

Nevertheless, I think you are correct in your assertion that it is the fans that made the 50th bithday celebration a wonderous, magical experience for eachother. Cheers and accolades to Disneyland fans!