Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Know More Than You Should

Lightbulb Lonely at the Top: Starcade 2nd Floor

Ever since Space Mountain was relaunched in 2005, I've made a point of riding it every time I go to Disneyland.

What I also make a point of, however, is getting a Fastpass the moment I enter the park. So there have only been two times I've actually waited in the Space Mountain standby line.

The first was back in September, on a trip we took for my birthday. It was on a Friday and relatively early in the morning so we were able to walk right on.

The second time was two weeks ago, on a busy but not-too-busy Sunday. While everyone else rode BLAB I figured with only a 40 minute wait for Space Mountain I'd just get in the standby line.

The wait was not, in fact, nearly that long (which I expected) but it did give me a chance to examine an area of Disneyland I rarely take the time to look at.

I was just struck by how much wasted space there is here. The second level of the Space Mountain concourse area, formerly a hotspot of the land, is empty now and remains mostly unused other than the Space Mountain queue that wraps around its perimeter.

And then there's the Starcade. The second level of the Starcade has been blocked off for a while now, with trash cans placed in front of the (I assume still working) escalators. All that's visible is the life-sized X-Wing hanging from the ceiling, and that remains all that's visible even when you peer through the glass on that level. It just struck me that this relatively large, empty space is just sitting there next to another relatively large, empty space. Why not do something with this?

Now a shop or an extension of the Starcade arcade could certainly work, but I don't think the land really needs that right now. But how about a new attraction? Perhaps a large new highly-themed table service restaurant with good food and a view of Tomorrowland? Let's put something in there and make that space active again. Perhaps the Space Mountain queue could be restructured and the deck area there could be used for something as well.

What do you guys think? It seems to me that (almost) anything would be good for this space, as opposed to just sitting there padlocked.

• Lowering Expectations

Re: Lonely at the Top: Starcade 2nd Floor

Well I certainly agree that utilized space is better than dead space, however like you say, Tomorrowland does not need any more shops or restaurants right now. Several ideas have been knocked around from time to time here in this forum. Some long for the air hockey tables that used to be there. Others (myself included) would rather see the Starcade close in favor of changing the facility to house a new attraction. There is not too terribly much space there, but it does have a fairly high ceiling.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• Knows Where His Towel Is

I have stated this before, but:

1. Rip out Starcade.
    2. Move Pizza Port into both floors of Starcade.
    3. New attraction in Pizza Port building.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by The Disneylander View Post
    I have stated this before, but:

1. Rip out Starcade.
    2. Move Pizza Port into both floors of Starcade.
    3. New attraction in Pizza Port building.
    yes yes and more yes

but in the mean time disney should repalce the starcade with a modern art exhibit and call it "forward thinking" because it's tomorrowland

• Yeti Enthusiast

I agree with the Pizza Port move idea. That would not only make for a better restaurant, but would help tie the arcade games into Tomorrowland rather than just being there.

I'd love for an updated "Rocket To The Moon" or "Mission To Mars" ride to go in the old show building at Pizza Port. NOT Mission Space, but a theatrical show experience with lots of special effects and animatronics, perhaps detailing what a commercial flight into space will be like in the future. The ride could exit into a recreation of a hypothetical base or habitat would be like.

• Banned User

whats on the 2nd floor of the starcade anyways? is that where the peoplemover que used to be at?

• Lowering Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by startours1 View Post
    whats on the 2nd floor of the starcade anyways? is that where the peoplemover que used to be at?
    No, the Peoplemover only ever boarded at the roundabout underneath where the Rocket Jets was / Observatron is. The Peoplemover did pass by the second floor Starcade area, however, and you could see into it while riding.

Like I said above, when the area was used there were primarily air hockey tables on the second floor of the Starcade, among other things. Now there is nothing but empty space, besides perhaps some ladders and other equipment.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

I couldn't believe all that empty space there. I saw it while waiting in line for SM. You can clearly see all the space there with some junk. What bad show!
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

I don't see why they can't just reactivate the speed ramps up to the second level and make it a working second level of the Starcade again, while they're waiting to decide what to do with it. Why leave it empty and ugly when they could be making profit off of the area. More machines means gamers are more likely to stay there longer and spend more, while at the same time it would look better than the abandoned look it has now. It's not the best use for the space, but until the Imagineers come up with something better, why not use it for what it was designed for?

And why, oh why do they keep the majority of the Space Mountain queue up on the otherwise-abandoned roof, staring into the junk-filled, dusty, empty Starcade second level in all sorts of weather -- searing heat, rain, cold, etc -- while 80% of the themed queue inside Space Mountain remains empty? When they do let you into the mountain, you can run full-speed past all the themed, air-conditioned passageways until you get to the main Spaceport room. Why? Why not use all of that queue area as a, you know, queue?

• Senior Minion

drb, the reason they don't use all of the queue area inside is because of FastPass. This space allows the FP users to get on the ride quickly, thereby holding up the stand-by line.

As for the Starcade, I was thinking about that the other day and believe it would make a pretty nice Star Wars area. First floor the good side, second floor the bad side - and have the servers dress appropriately ... that way they could actually do a Star Wars Character meal so you get a chance to get up close to the Academy actors.

• =)

I, too, would love to see both areas utilized. We've had this discussion before, so, to sum up my ideas...

Supposedly, the HISTA roof can't support anything more than it currently does. I dunno if I believe that. In any case, the current terrace is...well, boring. And you spend more time out there on a crowded day than you do inside, thanks to FastPass. Since the FastPass problem is, in a way, a necessary evil, I'd rather see the terrace be themed. Countless ideas have been bounced around, none of which have really struck my fancy. Perhaps WDI feels the same way. In any case, I think Tomorrowland's overall theme needs to be solidified before any more areas are "themed."

Regarding the Starcade--I'd be fine with it disappearing forever. I don't play the games. And I'd love to see an E-ticket Tomorrowland attraction, particularly an original dark ride. However, I understand that the Starcade brings in revenue for Disney, however little...and honestly, the space really isn't all that big, as 2DieFr pointed out, although it does have a high ceiling. I'm navigating through that space in my 3D model right now, and the options are...regrettably limited. And don't you dare think that WDI hasn't given this thought. Just because we aren't seeing any changes or hearing word of any changes doesn't mean that brainstorming hasn't happened.

These are both truly difficult problems to solve. One is created by the thematic ambiguities of Tomorrowland and the supposed weakness of the HISTA roof; the other is created by the limited space available.

• Former Starspeeder Pilot

It just seems like there is so much empty space at DL and DCA. We know that DCA is getting the big overhaul, but more stuff needs to be added all over Disneyland.

I personally would like to see the Sonny Eclipse audio-animatronic from WDW's Tomorroland put into Redd Rockett's Pizza Port. I remember as a kid that I was fascinated by it and thought it was the coolest thing, and I was very anxious to see it again when I returned to WDW last year. It's not nearly as fascinating ten years later, but it is still very cool and I think kids would get a kick out of it.

In case anyone is unfamiliar with Sonny, he's an audio-animatronic lounge singer playing a keyboard at Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe at WDW. This is a link to a YouTube video of him:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=m_hcFahv6Zw

Walking in Walt's footsteps

we used it during press events as a holding area..and no those escalators didnt work...maybe they just had them turned off

• Really!?

Quote Originally Posted by drb View Post
    And why, oh why do they keep the majority of the Space Mountain queue up on the otherwise-abandoned roof, staring into the junk-filled, dusty, empty Starcade second level in all sorts of weather -- searing heat, rain, cold, etc -- while 80% of the themed queue inside Space Mountain remains empty? When they do let you into the mountain, you can run full-speed past all the themed, air-conditioned passageways until you get to the main Spaceport room. Why? Why not use all of that queue area as a, you know, queue?

BRAVO SIR!
    i was just there and waited on the stand by line twice, and for some reason i didnt even think of that..... they probably have some kind of safety regulation, or some absurd rule as to why we have to wait outside on the theme-crushing roof......

Entering the line: Theme is alive
    Once you reach the roof: Theme is killed
    Once you leave the roof: Theme is alive once again

...they must obviously see this, i dont see why they would do these things without a good reason.... it just doesnt make sense

and yes the 2nd level of starcade is depressing....... id at least rather see some games in there as opposed to nothing at all

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

I like the restaurant idea.
    It has been year after year seeing that empty room (I want to say late 90's).
    If it needs to be storage, but some space decals (build a wall, whatever) on the windows and cover up the depressing room (even looks dirty and dusty).
    Weight or no weight, the queue area (as mentioned) totally ruins the theme outside. Even tiles with planets or some kind of solar system would help (heck, you might even learn something--wouldn't that be a shame).
    Al mentioned a make-over down the road. I hope this area is part of it.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast