Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Esplanade fountain?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Ever been early morning during peak season? Those lines can get pretty big.

Ever been New Year's Eve? Those lines can get pretty big.

Ever been right after DCA closes and everybody is rushing over to Disneyland? A good example I recently encountered was when DCA closed early for Mickey's Halloween Treat. Those lines can get pretty big.

Ever been to a Pirates of the Caribbean premiere? Those lines can get pretty big.

Did you line up for the 50th Anniversary? Those lines were unprecedented.
    yes
    yes
    yes
    yes
    and yes!
    So whats your point?
    It gets busy? OMG no way! If you had a background in contruction, Math, or just plain common sense, you might understand what 200 sqft is. Its basically the size of a kitchen or a small room. The esplanade is the size of 2 football fields. You are not losing valuable space. unless one tenth of 1 percect is valuable for people to stand in. I would rather their be something beautifull to look at and experience. And their are lots of ways for people that are creative to do really amazing things with this space without clogging up the place or limiting views, you just have to be creative, which I know is hard for some of you.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by symbolic View Post
    yes
    yes
    yes
    yes
    and yes!
    So whats your point?
    It gets busy? OMG no way! If you had a background in contruction, Math, or just plain common sense, you might understand what 200 sqft is. Its basically the size of a kitchen or a small room. The esplanade is the size of 2 football fields. You are not losing valuable space. unless one tenth of 1 percect is valuable for people to stand in. I would rather their be something beautifull to look at and experience. And their are lots of ways for people that are creative to do really amazing things with this space without clogging up the place or limiting views, you just have to be creative, which I know is hard for some of you.
    The point is that lines get long, and the fountain would get in the way, even at only 200 sq feet.

If you can't understand that, then perhaps I'm not the one lacking common sense.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Why don't you go back to 1997 and ask them why they cut the fountain in the first place. Maybe then you will know why they aren't going to build one now.
    Mr. Liver. I dont live in the past so I'm not going to waste my time with that. I know for a fact since I have worked on more than a few projects with Disney, that if Disney wants to do it, then trust me....Disney CAN do it.
    I know a lot of you are "armchair" and you have a semingly endless lack of vision, hope, and positive thinking, so naturaly a lot of ideas escape you. But I tend to think positively about what can be done and how to do it. So no need to call 1997 lol.
    Just try if you might, to come up with solutions instead of arguments...I dare you.

Master Gracy you remind me of someone that talks the talk but does little else, just try and be possitive and find it in yourself to see alternative possibilities. There is so much we can do if we think we can. You my friend come off as very negative and confrontational. I like the fountain idea....yep I do. So apparently I lack common sense.
    Grow up.

• Done waiting!!

Its getting a little heated in here. I sure could use a fountain to cool off in. BTW what the Esplanade really needs is a loop! ...someone had to say it.
    I'm literally a born Disney fan! I was born at Providence St. Joseph Med Center right across the street from Disney Studios in Burbank. The same hospital where Walt died.

By the way my shirt in the pic says "I like big sharks and I cannot lie"

• Sock Puppet

lol I love how even a debate over a fountain ends in name calling and flaming. I love the Internet!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Master Gracy you remind me of someone that talks the talk but does little else, just try and be possitive and find it in yourself to see alternative possibilities. There is so much we can do if we think we can. You my friend come off as very negative and confrontational. I like the fountain idea....yep I do. So apparently I lack common sense.
    Grow up.
    I like the idea too. But I've been to the Resort many times when a fountain in the area wouldn't be a practical or desired feature.

| | |

• Done waiting!!

I like the idea too. But I've been to the Resort many times when a fountain in the area wouldn't be a practical or desired feature.
    EXACTLY! I don't know how many times I've been there especially since the 50th started when the lines from each park practically touched! Yeah its only for about 10% of the day but the entire reason the Esplanade was built this way was to absorb those exact crowds. Its not supposed to be an extension of DTD.
    I'm literally a born Disney fan! I was born at Providence St. Joseph Med Center right across the street from Disney Studios in Burbank. The same hospital where Walt died.

By the way my shirt in the pic says "I like big sharks and I cannot lie"

Yea your right it gets insane 10% everyday(really?). The lines are so huge that they engulf each other for what? an hour? everyday? wow? I did not know that. Tomorrow I'm gonna check this out and see for a fact that you are wrong. But apparently there is no way that they could or should consider making the esplanade superior to what exists presently. Cuz we wouldnt want people having to walk around something like a sculpture while waiting in line to get into the museum.

• "I don't like the color"

Yea your right it gets insane 10% everyday(really?). The lines are so huge that they engulf each other for what? an hour? everyday? wow? I did not know that. Tomorrow I'm gonna check this out and see for a fact that you are wrong. But apparently there is no way that they could or should consider making the esplanade superior to what exists presently. Cuz we wouldnt want people having to walk around something like a sculpture while waiting in line to get into the museum.
    Dude, mello out! Just because others don't like the idea of a fountain in the esplanade (that includes me) doesn't mean YOU are 100% de facto right. I have seen the esplanade get crazy crowded as well plus the fact as someone else has pointed out that DCA's entrance is being moved out to where the CALIFORNIA letters are makes it even more than likely even more crowded than now.

Mr. Liver. I dont live in the past so I'm not going to waste my time with that. I know for a fact since I have worked on more than a few projects with Disney, that if Disney wants to do it, then trust me....Disney CAN do it.
    I know a lot of you are "armchair" and you have a semingly endless lack of vision, hope, and positive thinking, so naturaly a lot of ideas escape you. But I tend to think positively about what can be done and how to do it. So no need to call 1997 lol.
    Just try if you might, to come up with solutions instead of arguments...I dare you.
    And what kind of projects have you worked on with Disney? Do tell. Big deal if the esplanade is left the way it is. All anybody does there is stand in line anyway, as I, myself, pay for admission to the parks and not the esplanade.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    I heard some imagineers talk about this in a panel. They said, when projecting
    the number of people that could be expected to line up at both parks, in the
    esplanade, that the lines would fill this entire area, and that a fountain would
    be an added obstruction, safety concerns etc. So they decided it would be
    best as a barren area.

BLEAH!!!! to that!!! Trees and a fountain would be a welcome relief to this
    no-man's land!

And yes, crowds have filled the esplanade, BUT only for events and special
    days in DL. NEVER has DCA encounted the number of people waiting to get
    in that park, and even with extending DCA into the esplanade, I say

Add the Fountain and Trees!
    I've seen lines go back through there on a regular basis, but I think it was mostly during late Spring into Summer. The fire department may have been consulted at some point because on the days where lines DO stretch across that far, if an incident occured where people panicked, the last thing you would need is a 20 - 30 foot barrier across the middle. Aesthetically, I love the look of it, but I have a feeling some liability issue popped up regarding the size of the lines on more crowded days and it got cut. Having years of watching the area fill up from time to time AND with the new DCA entrance taking away MORE of the esplanade, I doubt we would ever see this.

Think of what would happen if DCA became....dare I say it....popular?
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 11-01-2007 at 08:17 AM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

they could blow it up and turn it into a Dodge dealer ship.
    Fastpass Space Mountain and then shop for a truck.

Hmmm.....I like the sound of this....

Ever been early morning during peak season? Those lines can get pretty big.

Ever been New Year's Eve? Those lines can get pretty big.

Ever been right after DCA closes and everybody is rushing over to Disneyland? A good example I recently encountered was when DCA closed early for Mickey's Halloween Treat. Those lines can get pretty big.

Ever been to a Pirates of the Caribbean premiere? Those lines can get pretty big.

Did you line up for the 50th Anniversary? Those lines were unprecedented.

I'm afraid Mastergracey is correct. The shot below is from May 11th, last Spring. This size of line was fairly typical from Spring Break into the beginning of the Summer season...while all SoCal APs are still valid.

Last edited by Mac Daddy; 11-01-2007 at 08:29 AM.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Sounds great! Be sure to let us know how the first day of the 2-week Post-Halloween, Pre-Christmas off-season is!

| | |

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I am really impressed with the way the esplanade currently is. It serves as a meeting point for all points north (DL) South (DCA) East (the Timon lot, Harbor Blvd. hotels, and transportation hub) and West (DTD and the parking structure).

It forces people from all the areas to mix and intermingle and it is a huge area for busy days with long lines.

A fountain would force an unintentional divide within the esplanade, not only causing more congestion, but psychologically putting up a barrier between the people walking through it.

Just my .02$

• Circle of Ancients

Since the DCA gates will be roughly where the "CALIFORNIA" letters are now I would probably say there isn't enough room for the Fountains.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast