Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Arrow Esplanade fountain?

In the original concept artwork for DCA, the esplanade showed a very nice fountain in the middle...

It looks so much better than what is there now. I assume it was one of the many DCA budget cuts and was removed from the plans. I wonder if there are any plans to bring this fountain concept back to life after Walt Disney Plaza is complete?

The esplanade needs something more than concrete and lamp posts with DLR ads on them. It needs a centerpiece in between both parks to draw everything together.

• Count

Re: Esplanade fountain?

Good Idea, I like this fountain a lot. Be perfect between both parks, and really great if it could do a musical performance to great disney songs like every 15 minutes.

Still, I'd settle for just the nifty fountain, sans effects and music.
    "It was worth it if you learned something."

One issue with putting in a fountain (although a good idea) is all the personalized bricks that Disney sold in the Esplanade.

I bought one a year ago and it is "guaranteed" to be there for either 5 or 10 years. So as long as they are selling those there would be a 5 to 10 year wait.

If they moved the bricks then they would have to send out notifications to every brick owner as to where it was moved.

Of course I don't make it to Disneyland very often so there might be some large area free of these bricks.

• =)

I like the fountain idea. Can't be all that expensive...

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    One issue with putting in a fountain (although a good idea) is all the personalized bricks that Disney sold in the Esplanade.

I bought one a year ago and it is "guaranteed" to be there for either 5 or 10 years. So as long as they are selling those there would be a 5 to 10 year wait.

If they moved the bricks then they would have to send out notifications to every brick owner as to where it was moved.

Of course I don't make it to Disneyland very often so there might be some large area free of these bricks.
    Ahh those wonderful old bricks, some of them cracked, others missing their logos, still others covered in crud... really glad they take such great care of those pricy little pieces of masonry.

They could move them or use them to build the base of the fountain etc. The main thing is diverting water and power to said location. To impliment this fountain would be a great deal of unwanted construction in a very high traffic area.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Cranky Dragon is Cranky

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    To impliment this fountain would be a great deal of unwanted construction in a very high traffic area.

Plus, it IS a very high traffic area; would the fountain be an unneeded/unwanted obstacle when it was built?
    Current hat total: 100 of 100 - completed!

Duckland
    : Stroll through downtown Duckburg, making sure to tour Scrooge's Money Bin, then cross the Audubon Bay Bridge to St. Canard. Visit Liquidator's Splash Pool, and don't forget a stop by Bushroot Gardens!

• Count

They could use the bricks to pave the new Radiator Springs Racers underneath? You know, have a Disney Brickyard for their main racing event?

Bah, I wouldn't let the pavers hold it up. Put in the fountain.
    "It was worth it if you learned something."

• Banned User

Can't they fit a small fountain in the compass in the center of the esplanade? I could Imagine them fitting a small version of the HKDL Fountain inthere.

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I recall reading that the original plans DID call for a fountain to be placed within the esplanade and that those plans were cut from the budget before construction began. The fountain in question would have been much like the one at Epcot. They might still be able to go ahead and add one, now, without making it too much of a congestion nightmare. It would certainly be pretty if they did it just right.

• Banned User

They should do something, the plaza is very bare and lifeless.

They need trees and a water feature, that would be great, as it stands now when ever I walk into the esplanade it just seems like everyone is racing to the gates, they need some stuff in their to chill everyone out, make it a little more relaxed.

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by EmeralineDragon View Post
    Plus, it IS a very high traffic area; would the fountain be an unneeded/unwanted obstacle when it was built?
    yes, it would. I have seen the lines to get in the parks fill that entire area. The fountain would just be an frustration in there.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I heard some imagineers talk about this in a panel. They said, when projecting
    the number of people that could be expected to line up at both parks, in the
    esplanade, that the lines would fill this entire area, and that a fountain would
    be an added obstruction, safety concerns etc. So they decided it would be
    best as a barren area.

BLEAH!!!! to that!!! Trees and a fountain would be a welcome relief to this
    no-man's land!

And yes, crowds have filled the esplanade, BUT only for events and special
    days in DL. NEVER has DCA encounted the number of people waiting to get
    in that park, and even with extending DCA into the esplanade, I say

Add the Fountain and Trees!

• no flash photography...

yeah, ok....I am glad it's not there.

• Knows Where His Towel Is

I agree with the Imagineers. Have you seen DL at opening rush? People running. A fountain would just be an obstacle.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast