Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

• Yeti Enthusiast

Re: The Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland

I love seeing all of those Mine Train pictures. It's hard to believe that the empty areas behind Tom Sawyer Island were once teeming with activity. I think we payed a heavy price when Big Thunder was put in, however much I like the ride. Ever since then it seems Frontierland has been marginalized or put on the back burner in Imagineering.

I really hope a new mine train comes to fruition. A ride like this in DCA would give a lot of movement and character to the Grizzly Peak side of the park. The only question is where a rainbow caverns area would go.

Anybody care to venture that if these plans work out Condor Flats would become Grizzly Flats, in honor of Ward Kimball's railroad?

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Except you can't have a railroad in a RIVER ! :-)

• U. B. Bold

Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    Except you can't have a railroad in a RIVER ! :-)
    But you can have one next to a river, which is indeed how most Western shortline railroads were built in mountainous terrain. It was much more economical to follow natural paths carved by water than to blast new ones through solid rock. Having a California logging themed railroad chugging alongside Grizzly River would really plus-up both attractions.

Matterhorn Boy: Love the Condor Flats to Grizzly Flats idea.
    Last edited by BigThunder; 11-10-2007 at 07:30 AM.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn Boy View Post
    I really hope a new mine train comes to fruition. A ride like this in DCA would give a lot of movement and character to the Grizzly Peak side of the park. The only question is where a rainbow caverns area would go.
    How about this nice grassy area behind the Redwood Creek Challenge...
    http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com...eyland%7cca%7c
    Last edited by Circarama; 11-10-2007 at 10:34 AM.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

yep but they want to call it the Grizzly River Railroad, think about it........

• Yeti Enthusiast

Wow! Didn't know there was so much room back there. It seems like you could put the station/queue area where the Redwood Creek Challenge is now, and then build caves on that grassy area. That way the ride could end with a caverns area just like the original. I really hope the imagineers pushing for this get it off the ground.

Edit: Gothic: Don't mean to be rude, but haven't you ever heard of bridges or trestles? There are loads of railroads built around rivers, including the original Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland.

• U. B. Bold

Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    yep but they want to call it the Grizzly River Railroad, think about it........
    Um, are you serious? There are any number of historic railroads named for specific rivers or with the word 'river' in their names. Here's a few that come to mind just off the top of my head: Denver & Rio Grande Western, Carson & Colorado, Virginia & Truckee, Hudson River Line, Rio Grande Southern, Eire Lackawanna, Black River & Western, Little River Railroad, and my favorite, the Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes. There you go, nothing odd about it at all.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• lol what

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder View Post
    Here's what I'd like to see in DCA:

This gets me to think; what has Walt ever thought of on English style locomotives? Like in England and stuff. c:

Now hang on to them hats n' glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    So is the consensus that Splash Mountain would be way more exciting than Jungle Cruise at Disneyland Paris?
    Zip-a-dee-duh.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder View Post
    Um, are you serious? There are any number of historic railroads named for specific rivers or with the word 'river' in their names. Here's a few that come to mind just off the top of my head: Denver & Rio Grande Western, Carson & Colorado, Virginia & Truckee, Hudson River Line, Rio Grande Southern, Eire Lackawanna, Black River & Western, Little River Railroad, and my favorite, the Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes. There you go, nothing odd about it at all.
    ok ok just I bet they are planning on the train running IN the river lol you just wait and see lol

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn Boy View Post
    Wow! Didn't know there was so much room back there. It seems like you could put the station/queue area where the Redwood Creek Challenge is now, and then build caves on that grassy area. That way the ride could end with a caverns area just like the original. I really hope the imagineers pushing for this get it off the ground.

Edit: Gothic: Don't mean to be rude, but haven't you ever heard of bridges or trestles? There are loads of railroads built around rivers, including the original Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland.
    the old mine train had loads of trestles tho small

I LOVED THAT RIDE and ANYONE COULD GO ON IT

I say get rid of the big thunder will kill you ride and put back a mine train like ride where you travel all over the area thru the trees and over the water into tunnels and underground with stalagmites in eries caves and the desert robotic wildlife lol yeah!

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

• Collision speed....FULL!

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeSparks View Post
    This gets me to think; what has Walt ever thought of on English style locomotives? Like in England and stuff. c:
    He did like the English stlye engines. When Walt Disney went to London he bought two 71/4" gauge locomotives from Basset-Lowke. One of them is on display at the Disney barn at LA Live Steamers.

Here's a picture of the one at the barn...

Photo:Matt Walker

•   
    • Rest In Peace, Old Friend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    How about this nice grassy area behind the Redwood Creek Challenge...
    http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com...eyland%7cca%7c
    Isn't that where the new DVC timeshares are going?

• Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by JJ61 View Post
    God help us.

It is good to see this thread again, though (on a positive note).

• Minion

I like this thread very much! Seeing pictures of MTTNW makes me want to go back in time and see all of Disneyland as it was back then!

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by JJ61 View Post
    I wasn't aware of it, but I don't doubt it.

That's what dreamin' will get you... a big fat dose of reality.

Oh well, with 1.3 Billion they should be able to make some great stuff happen at DCA, even if they don't implement my plan!
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast