Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helicopter

• Disneyland is your land.

Helicopter

So tonight there was a helicopter flying over Disneyland (looked like IASW) with that "brighter-than-daylight" spot light shooting down towards the park. I was wondering if anyone knew what was going on or why they would allow an helicopter to do that since I thought Disneyland itself was a NOFLY zone??
    Class of 2005...

Re: Helicopter

You were almost certainly seeing the Anaheim Police copter. It was probably not shining directly into Disneyland, nor was it directly above Disneyland, although it LOOKS like that quite often. Almost every night it flies around after getting dispatched for a call. Any time you call the cops at night for a disturbance, they send the copter out, and it can often be seen coming very very close to Disneyland.

Yeah I saw it too while waiting for RDCT. It seemed really close, but it probably was not flying over Disneyland.
    "To all who come to this happy place, welcome!"

• I'm not really here

I can't say what it was or where it was, but I can say that helicopters have been used in the park before. Recently at that. They used one to life the bone cage from backstage to Pirate's Lair. If there is ever a helicopter directly over Disneyland it is only one of two things, a Disney helicopter doing Disney work, or a law enforcement/emergency helicopter trying to solve something really not good.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I have a close relative who works the tower at SNA and while the DLR is a flight-restricted area this is exempt to emergency aircraft -- which should be obvious to most. A low flying helicopter with a search-light is probably doing police work in the neighborhoods near the DLR or above I-5.

If you were here during the week of the fires, the no-fly zone over DL was relaxed as well to make it easier for emergency craft to get where they had to go. I remember during the 2003 fires I was near the ROA and a DC-10 was flying overhead litterally probably less than 5000 feet above. It was HUGE. But necessary because of the fires.

But generally speaking, only emergency aircraft is allowed automatically in the zone. ATC will allow low flying aircraft if they are on approach to Fullerton. And if traffic warrants, ATC will direct aircraft into the no-flight zone in certain conditions.

• Mickey Mouse Slave

being at Disneyland every weekend, A LOT of helicopters fly over Disneyland... probably 5-10 per my work shift... Sometimes, you can even see the 737 flying into SNA and they are flying pretty low as well...

This no Fly Zone doesnt seem to be true much anymore...
    ~ A Cute, Little, Fuzzy, Silly, and Chubby Cast Member ~

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    It is still there. But the LA basin is one of the most heavily air-trafficked regions in the nation that aircraft will actually be told by ATC on occasion to go into the no fly zone.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    :::banging head on keyboard::: THERE IS NOT A "NO FLY ZONE!!" There is a restricted airspace, which is very different, as you can fly over it, but you have to be above 3000' (about a 1/2 mile). You can fly over lower simply by asking ATC permission. Most times they say "Sure!" Emergency aircraft don't need special permission. This is a very popular myth.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Disneyland is your land.

Okay thanks! I didn't mean to start an argument about the NO FLY / RESTRICTED zone above Disneyland. I just coulda swore that giant light was shinning into Disneyland, but my perception was probably just playing tricks on me!

thanks again!
    Class of 2005...

• May the F=ma be with you

No fly zone??

I think not...

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mainstreetcm View Post
    Okay thanks! I didn't mean to start an argument about the NO FLY / RESTRICTED zone above Disneyland. I just coulda swore that giant light was shinning into Disneyland, but my perception was probably just playing tricks on me!

thanks again!
    More than likely they were covering a traffic stop on I-5.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Fairies and Mermaids!

Yeah, saw the same helicopter yesterday. Me and my friends thought it was shining on the sub lagoon from our position. Then one of my friends brought up the no fly and I mentioned it as being restricted.

Remember, Dreams come true!... and mermaids are hot, even on Halloween.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    No fly zone??

I think not...
    Yeah, I see Tinkerbell flying over Disneyland all the time!

• =)

http://www.nbaa.org/airspace/restric...3_20030318.htm

I think that should settle the no-fly zone/restricted airspace debate for all time. Actually, I was under the impression that it was a true no-fly zone until this thread, so thank you!

• The Tomorrowland One

Heh, I had an opening shift the one day they were taking something over to Pirates Lair. Like everyone, even the lead, stopped working on opening the attraction and went out to see what the heck a helicopter was doing that low over DL at that hour. Turns out it was some big cargo heli dropping off the mast from the news I gathered. Twas fun to see that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast