Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Re: Disneyland - first ever visit from a dutch perspective

I've been to some canadian theme parks, and we don't put alot of canadian flags up, disneyland is just a very historical, and patriotic park!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• insufferable know-it-all

Here's I'll break it down: jingoistic

Gin (like the drink)- Go (opposite of stop)- iss (like hiss without the h) - tick (like a clock makes)

Not an English teacher, but I have been given the (somewhat) unfortunate title of "the human dictionary" by my childhood friends.

edit:
    Ooops, sorry, the word was jingoism. Same thing, just ends in "iz-um" instead of "iss-tick"

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• That Guy

^ no worries you are still my hero!

• Merry 2014!

are you referring to the patriotism as being over the top?

if you were there over the fourth of july, then yeah you got overdosed with flags and songs and such. Disneyland is a loving tribute to this country that encourages dreaming and manifesting those dreams, as he was able do accomplish. also, since 9/11 american's pride has been kicked up a few notches. so i think you got a big time immersion in american patriotism.

glad you like the park! it is my favorite because of the charm and originality.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Banned User

"chauvinistic patriotism".... That's the USA fo' sure!!!

Heck, we even call ourselves "Americans". It's like we didn't even notice that there are other countries on the continents of North and South America.... Or that there were people here before us that should really be called the "Americans".... Heck, we called them "Indians", as if they were the for'ners.

• ...or just Tonny

Quote Originally Posted by millionairegirl
    Do you mean patriotism? Like all the US flags? Well, Disney is as American as Apple Pie, and I personally don't see patriotism as a negative. I would expect DLP to have a lot of French flags too. What exactly were you disappointed by?

You may also have been there during Fourth of July, which ups the patriotism quotient by 1,000.
    Nope, was in New york on the 4th
    And no, there's definitely not as much French at DLP. See, the thing is that the French are considered extremely chauvinistic about their culture here in Europe, and from that point of view, America is indeed over the top with everything. I don't mind a tribute here and there ( although have never personally understood national pride - isn't being born in a certain country just pure coincidence? - but that's what many Americans thrive on ). It got tiring for me though, all those tributes, scary even.

Having said that though / don´t get me wrong, I really do love the place! Admittedly, Sam Eagle´s `tribute to all nations but mostly America` was kid of funny, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer

On a side note, if you were going on a date, and you were going to split the bill would you say, "Let's go me." Instead of saying 'Let's go Dutch.'

Just curious.
    Ha! We usually split all costs when on vacation or what, but I think the rules are a bit different when on a date.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan-500
    did you see fantasmic thriller? whatca think?
    Of course, lol. I love the show. Don´t ask me if it´s better than in Orlando / I don´t know. I like both shows. Disneyland´s version has both the benefit of the charm and the annoyance of crowd control problems near the seating area, and Orlando has the nice theater for it. Both shos are wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    Or that there were people here before us that should really be called the "Americans".... Heck, we called them "Indians", as if they were the for'ners.
    LOL, technically, I guess it´s the Europeans you can blame for calling them Indians...

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller
    Nope, was in New york on the 4th
    Europe, and from that point of view, America is indeed over the top with everything. I don't mind a tribute here and there ( although have never personally understood national pride - isn't being born in a certain country just pure coincidence? - but that's what many Americans thrive on ). It got tiring for me though, all those tributes, scary even.
    Thriller,

One thing I forgot to add, our country is at war, and we still have our brothers, sisters, Moms and Dads in another country fighting and dying for our country. Whether or not they should still be there is a whole different thread, but the fact remains that brave Americans are spilling blood.
    So, that kind of ties in to why you would see a great deal of pride and patriotism, but I don't think it necessarily includes chauvinism etc. When many people see our colors, we are reminded of those that sacrificed for us and our freedom. I can appreciate that if you’re not from here, it may be confusing to see though, but as they say, “When in Rome….”

• ...or just Tonny

edit: whoops - wrong topic! Sorry guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller

Overall a great couple of days, and a great ending to my 2 week vacation! I only have one complaint really, and I don't mean to offend anyone with this, but what's with all the "Americanism" at Disney? Perhaps I should have expected this as it is a general characteristic of the US anyway, but I was a little dissapointed with that. Oh well. Overall, Disneyland really is the Happiest Place on Earth for this fella!
    One of Walt's intensions was to make Disneyland American. This was taken directly from the book "Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real."

"Walt Disney dearly loved America and her colorful history. He long held the belief that we, as Americans, should recognize the extraordinary influence of historical events on our present day lives. In his strong desire to help Americans become more aware of the significance of their nation and its heritage, he included many aspects of its history and culture within Disneyland." Pg. 62

• ...or just Tonny

Quote Originally Posted by Spalding
    One of Walt's intensions was to make Disneyland American. This was taken directly from the book "Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real."

"Walt Disney dearly loved America and her colorful history. He long held the belief that we, as Americans, should recognize the extraordinary influence of historical events on our present day lives. In his strong desire to help Americans become more aware of the significance of their nation and its heritage, he included many aspects of its history and culture within Disneyland." Pg. 62
    Which is pretty much a contradiction of what the plaque above the tunnel into Town Square says, eh?

• Minion

I still dont understand what you found "Americanism". Can you give us some examples? We may just be so used to it in our every day life, that we dont see it.

And yes, we are a very patreotic nation. No more and no less then others I have met quite a few French who were VERY proud of there country. As for Sam Eagle, thats just his personality. Come on, he is an eagle! The symbol of America!!! He is over the top big time, but thats just him.

Blog Entries

I can name some Americanism.

You can drive down one street and find american flags on every single house. It's so funny, cause in canada, you find some but definatley not on every single house... But we also don't use the word patriotic...

Anyways, america is proud of being america, that's no crime. Canada's proud of being canada, we just don't do the flag thing. Who ever like said like the flag was like the new like orange was like so wrong!

~

• UH..LIKE DUH..

Overall a great couple of days, and a great ending to my 2 week vacation! I only have one complaint really, and I don't mean to offend anyone with this, but what's with all the "Americanism" at Disney? Perhaps I should have expected this as it is a general characteristic of the US anyway, but I was a little dissapointed with that. Oh well. Overall, Disneyland really is the Happiest Place on Earth for this fella![/QUOTE]

Interesting. I guess that means since you are comparing DL to DLP, that DLP does not seem as politically American, just culturally. Makes ense as they tried to do that. Good thing you missed Lincoln and America the Beautiful 360.

• Official Mice Chat person

I havn't seen anything over the top in disneyland about being patriotic. A Flag in townsquare...A flag in fronteirland, maybe a few more in the park? American flags are just common in the USA, they are everywhere, not just in disneyland.

Glad you liked it though!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandrocks55
    A flag in fronteirland
    Ahem, USED to be a flag in fronteirland, untill a truck smooshed it and a popcorn cart

~

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast