Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Official Mice Chat person

Re: Disneyland - first ever visit from a dutch perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Evan-500
    Ahem, USED to be a flag in fronteirland, untill a truck smooshed it and a popcorn cart
    Haha, Yeah I know it fell over, but I think they replaced it.

• ...or just Tonny

Quote Originally Posted by gibbage
    I still dont understand what you found "Americanism". Can you give us some examples? We may just be so used to it in our every day life, that we dont see it.

And yes, we are a very patreotic nation. No more and no less then others I have met quite a few French who were VERY proud of there country. As for Sam Eagle, thats just his personality. Come on, he is an eagle! The symbol of America!!! He is over the top big time, but thats just him.
    Well, to have an entire float of the Electrical Parade devoted as an "honor to America" is just one example. And just for the record, Sam Eagle was quite entertaining with that, I didn't mind that part really
    Ad luna in flamma gloria

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Evan-500
    I can name some Americanism.

Anyways, america is proud of being america, that's no crime. Canada's proud of being canada, we just don't do the flag thing. Who ever like said like the flag was like the new like orange was like so wrong!
    Lol. During "Canada day" you see more Canadian flags then anything. Same thing for our 4th.

Sadly, the years before 9/11 you hardly ever saw an American flag unless it was around the 4th of July.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller
    Well, to have an entire float of the Electrical Parade devoted as an "honor to America" is just one example. And just for the record, Sam Eagle was quite entertaining with that, I didn't mind that part really
    Ya. I got a good laught out of that line also because in a way it makes fun of how some people are. As for the EP, I never noticed the honor to America float. But I can almost guarantee you, all Disney parks have ways of honoring the country's hosting them.

BTW. Of an interesting note. I was going through some pics of Disneyland Paris and they have an American flag flying on Mainstreet there. Since it is a re-creation of Walts home towm in America, I guess its not all that odd.

• ...or just Tonny

Nah, the Mainstreet in Paris is also supposed to be an old-fashioned American town, so those flags would only be fitting. Actually, I've heard the story that those flags only have 49 stars though, as their supposedly were only 49 states during the turn of the century. No idea if that's true though...
    Ad luna in flamma gloria

Main Street, U.S.A. is everyone's hometown whether he or she is French, Chinese, or American; the semi-autobiographical impressions Main Street, U.S.A. evokes are ultimately universal.

There is a fine line between nationalism and patriotism. Some Americans can be "patriotic" to a fault in that they appear to non-Americans to be professing a belief in the superiority of one nationality over another. Such a situation is really not accurate, though, in most instances. I am sure Walt Disney, for example, was just grateful for the wisdom of the founders of the U.S.A. and for their modern revival of Athenian democracy. He likely also valued the cultural pluralism of the nation, as well as its "Fifth Freedom", Freedom of Enterprise, which created the environment for Mr. Disney to have had his career and for something like Disneyland to have even been realized.

I am not sure the original portal to The Magic Kingdom of Disneyland could have been located anywhere on the planet other than southern California in the U.S. in the 1950's. One should remember, though, that Disneyland remains a kingdom unto itself.

The duality of Disneyland as someone's hometown in Middle America at the turn-of-the-19th-Century, as well as a magic kingdom comprised of the four cardinal realms of the imagination, is the idea, which defines the Disneyland experience. We are all sharing something at once very personal and, yet, completely universal when we walk along the Main Street of our collectively-remembered past and towards that storybook castle and everything the castle represents.

I will say that right after 11 September 2001, I did see the admissions booths in the Outer Lobby covered with American flags in a show that I felt detracted from Disneyland, itself, and inappropriately reminded me of the tragedies of that day.

Those flags have since been removed inasmuch as I am aware.

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller
    I was really puzzled by your statement of Americanism being prevalent at Disneyland until you mentioned the "To Honor America" finale to the Main Street Electrical Parade. Then, your observation started to make sense to me.

The Main Street Electrical Parade is a little dated in some ways. It was a product of its time, and its time was the 1970's when the American Bicentennial of 1976 was a craze of sorts. Disneyland even devoted an entire attraction to the celebration of the anniversary with the opening of America Sings. America Sings, and most of the other 1976-specific elements at Disneyland, have since been removed, but the Electrical Parade, with its patriotic finale, is still playing by popular demand in D.C.A.

Originally, the float was very small and consisted of a single two-dimensional American flag made of lights. The larger replacement soon started serving as the finale to the parade and has remained there ever since even though the unit seems a little out of place.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 07-24-2005 at 05:44 AM.

• ...or just Tonny

Ah okay, that makes at least a little sense, and calms me down a bit I guess. It's still far from enjoyable to see, but at least that thing exists for a reason then

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have 20 gigabytes of video to watch, starting with Jose, Micheal, Pierre und Fritz
    Ad luna in flamma gloria

Wow I am really blown away that someone would come in to America and put us down for being proud of our country.

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by disneylover4ever
    Wow I am really blown away that someone would come in to America and put us down for being proud of our country.
    Exactly, Alot of people have died to keep this country free! No one should take pot shots about our country's patriotism. No one!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• insufferable know-it-all

Relax guys, he's merely pointing it out as a contrast to his culture.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Minion

The sad thing is how much of Walt Disney's patriotic Americana (and that of his immediate successors) has already been taken OUT of Disneyland:

Walt's original vision of Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln
    America the Beautiful
    American Journeys
    America Sings
    Nature's Wonderland
    The Country Bear Jamboree
    Fort Wilderness
    Davy Crockett Museum
    Slue Foot Sue's Golden Horseshoe Revue
    Mike Fink Keel Boats
    (not to mention incidental Americana, such as more authentic turn-of-the-century Main Street businesses and optimistic corporate futurism in Tomorrowland)
    etc...

It seems we have already lost too much of this vital aspect of Disneyland's heritage in a nod to globalism. I certainly miss CircleVision: used to make me get teary.

• Hooterville, USA

USA USA USA USA

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

merlinjones makes a good point. Walt was very much an American patriot and made a point of instilling his Disneyland with references to American history. The park was designed to be as much an immersive educational experience as a place to play. That said, however, let's take a mental stroll through Disneyland today:
    Main Street USA: That's what it's called. Very uniquely American and nostalgic to a perceived simpler time.
    Adventureland: There's really nothing particularly American in here.
    Frontierland, New Orleans Square, Critter Country: I lump these together because that's how it feels in my mind. Very American relating to our pioneer heritage. Walt's history lesson. (...and, perhaps a small reason why Pooh seems oddly out-of-place.)
    Fantasyland: Quite Euopean, actually. Bavaria, Switzerland, England...etc. No America in here... except in It's A Small World, an attraction celebrating cultures across the globe.
    Toon Town: Nah.
    Tomorrowland: Pre-1998 was very American, frankly. During it's first incarnation in 1955 and it's rebirth in 1967, America was dominant in the space-age. (...references to the USSR would probably not have gone over real well!) Post-1998, the land actually has quite a European feel, particularly in the color scheme. Post-2005: look for a culture-neutral feel.

2 lands out of 5.

I don't know. I really don't sense a predominant "Americanism." Certainly some references to the country in which Disneyland is located, but nothing I would call over-the-top. As merlinjones points out... not any more.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast