Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• ...or just Tonny

Disneyland - first ever visit from a dutch perspective

Hey guys!

Just came back from my first ever visit to the Disneyland resort over the anniversary weekend. I thought I'd share a couple of experiences. It's all short though, as I have 20 gigabytes of video to capture still!

-Disneyland is now by far my favorite park, shooting Disneyland Paris off that spot. It's small size are both a crowdcontrol nightmare and a charming characteristic. I love how the place feels at least a bit less commercial than the Parisian and Floridian parks.

-Space Mountain was nice, but I am seriously spoiled with the *old* Parision version

-Buzz sucks - I hate movie based attractions outside of Fantasyland. Disneyland should not be a movie park, that is what Universal is for!!

-It was good to finally properly experience Star Tours and Honey I Shrunk the audience with understandable English instead of that silly French.

-Matterhorn rocks, both from a coaster enthusiast standpoint as from that of a Disney fan.

-Toontown was not as great, just as I expected - don't like plastic comic book themes.

-Fantasyland was nice, similar but smaller than the Parisian version, but at least they got rid of the awful fair theming. I liked Toad's.

-Unexpectedly, I thought BTM was better than in Paris, as it felt a little wilder. Still I like the looks of the island ride in Paris.

-Tom Sawyer Island and the surrounding canoes and boats are wonderful, great place to relax.

-Splash is cool, just like in Orlando

-Haunted Mansion was kind of nostalgic, but Paris' Phantom Manor is better. Still a great ride though.

-Pirates rocks! ( d'oh! )

-Indy was awesome. The queue is an attraction in it's own right.

-Jungle Cruise goes between pretty nice to really great, depending on the skipper

-The fireworks and parade were, of couse, awesome. The 50th video at the Opera was great, although I hated not being able to videotape it and it not being available on DVD. Incidentily, I usually don't buy merchandise as I think it's pointless and far too expensive. I spend over a hundred bucks at Disneyland - wow...oops!

-DCA is a nice park, but not up to Disney standards. Having said that, I'd easily trade it in for the awful studios in Paris if I could! Tower in Orlando is better but this one is great too. I liked the rapids, and seeing Bugs again and the Muppets were great again, too. The animation building is very cool and the Aladdin musical was just wonderful, and then some! Also nice to see the Electrical parade still alive in som form, although I do really believe it should be on Mainstreet.

Overall a great couple of days, and a great ending to my 2 week vacation! I only have one complaint really, and I don't mean to offend anyone with this, but what's with all the "Americanism" at Disney? Perhaps I should have expected this as it is a general characteristic of the US anyway, but I was a little dissapointed with that. Oh well. Overall, Disneyland really is the Happiest Place on Earth for this fella!

• Minion

Re: Disneyland - first ever visit from a dutch perspective

BTM is going to be a little less wild at DL, because if you'll remember a few years back, a man died during his train ride.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Well, Disneyland is apart of American culture, its pretty much ingrained in our cultural conciousness, hopefully forever. Everyone, even if they were born under a rock, knows what Disneyland is and where it is. Also, Walt Disney was an American History fanatic, he loved it, so its not surprising that it was such a huge part of his parks.

It is understandable why these elements are somewhat removed from tha other parts, especially overseas. But it wouldn't be Disneyland if they weren't there.

Thanks for your reviews!
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PotCRoxMySox
    BTM is going to be a little less wild at DL, because if you'll remember a few years back, a man died during his train ride.
    Has it really been tamed down? I have heard nothing about that. I haven't ridden it since a few days (2 in fact) before the accident, but I don't think the ride has changed at all. But I could be wrong....

Do you MiceChat?

DMCA for life, yo.

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller
    I only have one complaint really, and I don't mean to offend anyone with this, but what's with all the "Americanism" at Disney? Perhaps I should have expected this as it is a general characteristic of the US anyway, but I was a little dissapointed with that.
    Do you mean patriotism? Like all the US flags? Well, Disney is as American as Apple Pie, and I personally don't see patriotism as a negative. I would expect DLP to have a lot of French flags too. What exactly were you disappointed by?

You may also have been there during Fourth of July, which ups the patriotism quotient by 1,000.

• Minion

drama queen i'm not sure either, but i would assume that they'd have taken it a little slower?? i mean to try to prevent such things from happening again??

maybe the parisians are a little more wild??

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

well, the cause of the accident was not the speed of the ride, but the lack of maintenance to the track and cars. That problem, I believem was corrected after the ride went down for rehab a few time.

/derail (wait, maybe that is a bad pun)

Do you MiceChat?

DMCA for life, yo.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Welcome home! I'm really happy that you've had the chance to experience the magic of Walt's original and that you enjoyed your visit. I've never been to any of the other Disney parks... and I hear that some of them boast some very awesome attractions... but there's just something special about our little kingdom in Anaheim. To proffer a little more silly French, it is a certain "je ne sai quois."

To answer your final question, however, let me offer Walt's opening day speech from 1955:
    “To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here, age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.
    In addition to being an artist and a dreamer, Walt Disney was an American patriot. His park reflects his pride of country, it's history and those who struggled to help it prosper.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Minion

Thanks for the trip report.
    You have said the way I feel about the size of the park, and it will always be special because it is so intimate, in my opinion.
    My last visit was in early May, so I'm not sure what you mean by "Americanism", but it was just Independence Day a couple of weeks ago, is it red, white, and blue everywhere? Disneyland has always welcomed the world very well, I don't know, maybe support of our troops?
    Also, Disneyland is a symbol American as our apple pie, and proud of it, so maybe thats it too.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

BTW, Thriller. Victoria and I shall be in your neck o' the woods next week as we land in Amsterdam on Monday to begin a tour of the Balkans. I'm very much looking forward to our day in Copenhagen and a visit to Tivoli Gardens... an inspiration to Walt as he conceived Disneyland.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market

Thanks for the reviews, glad to see you like Disneyland so much.

I'm sorry you didn't like Buzz though, it's one of my new favorites.

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller
    what's with all the "Americanism" at Disney? Perhaps I should have expected this as it is a general characteristic of the US anyway, but I was a little dissapointed with that.

I must admit I am stumped. Why would you be disappointed by seeing flags and other related items that display patriotism and national pride? I would expect that if I went to the Netherlands, I might see a flag or item that reminds me where I am. Especially if the place I am at is a cultural icon for the nation. DLR is as American as the Grand Canyon, etc. What flag would you have preferred to see, perhaps we can start a poll or letter writing campaign? Maybe you missed IASM, there are TONS more flags there…

On a side note, if you were going on a date, and you were going to split the bill would you say, "Let's go me." Instead of saying 'Let's go Dutch.'

Just curious.

I did enjoy your review, I liked the bullets rather then huge paragraph that is impossible to get through, so strong work there!

• insufferable know-it-all

Fischer: I don't recall seeing much jingoism in the Netherlands. I think America and England are fairly unique for that.

Thriller: Disneyland has always been like that, very patriotic. They tone that down for the international parks. I can't see the Parisians taking it too well, you know? But that's how Walt designed Disneyland to be. Plus, as others have pointed out, you were here in July.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

did you see fantasmic thriller? whatca think?

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• That Guy

^ Morrigoon, you're killing me! I had to look up that word and I am still not going to try and pronounce it! I take your point, and it is important to look though an outsiders eyes. Are you an English teacher?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast