Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Having a Grand Day!

Re: Not getting anything on the 17th Question!

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    I didn't expect to get anything for free from WDC since they are so cheap (as opposed to OLC giving away commemorative pins, fasteners, and coins on special days almost monthly at TDR), but the free ears were nice and the cupcakes deeeelicious. So I will appreciate it for what it was.
    TDLFAN, you are forgetting one thing:

WDC = Public Company
    OLC = Private Company

The OLC can spend cash as they please. If the WDC spends 'unnecessary' funds, such as going that extra mile to make everybody's day more magical, in this day and age they would have Wall Street on their back asking why the profit isn't as big as It could have been. (And the WDC would not have survived if it was still private after what happened during the war.)

• Social Imagineer

Evan-500, I think you completely misunderstand the nature of the complaint. It's not that we weren't given enough stuff, but rather that Disneyland didn't DO anything special to celebrate its 50th Birthday.

I didn't want more hand-outs. That's not it at all. I wanted CELEBRATIONS, spectaculars, fantasticals, amazements.

When the 50th celebrations are lame compared to the 40th, the 25th, especially the 30th, but even the 32nd and 31st, then something is not quite right. But it's nothing to do with stuff giveaways, and everything to do with celebration, festivities and entertainment.

And don't bother to claim that the guests got all they deserved in those departments. Disneyland set the bar at the height it is 20 years ago when it turned but 30, and there's no one to blame but itself for not meeting it and exceeding it. Certainly not the guests who felt a little gipped by the meager festivities this past July 17th.

• No bacon; sausage.

Exactly what iSm said. It's NOT about the stuff. That's why were complaining. We got stuff. Stuff doesn't make me happy. It's the experience. I was not at any of the above mentioned spectacular birthday celebrations, but I've heard stories about them for years. They sounded so fantastic, so amazing, that I thought for sure the 50th would be the most out of this world spectacular ever. But they didn't even match their previous efforts, let alone surpass.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan-500
    maybe some socks?
    And underwear? You can always use new underwear.

• Banned User

as an afterthought it wasn't a bad day, but that is what is was... an afterthought. as time goes on and there are fewer and fewer( if any) people who worked for and with mr disney himself or remember the attention to details and the perfectionist that he was and it didn't matter how much was spent because this was disneyland and they were gonna do it right, things are gonna be watered down. Now a days unfortunately it's the bottom line. Even the grand kickoff event for the 50th was low keyed compaired to other celebrations. But to me the biggest slap in the face,is that someone had the brilliant idea of celebrating DISNEYLAND's golden anniversary everywhere else. When walt turned 100, WDW celebrated with special merchandise and exhibits and shows. This is Disneyland's birthday, not paris, not tokiyo, and not WDW. the entire focus should have been only on disneyland, the golden ears should only be at disneyland, and all year there should be one cool party like the 25th and NOT anywhere else. i had a wonderful time on the 17th. It was great to Diane and the governator and art linkletter. too bad micheal had to be there but we can't have everything. I probably won't be around when disneyland turns 100 but I am looking forward to just a few more years and I get to celebrate wdw's 50th. lets hope by then the suits get it right

• Hunka hunka burnin love!

Huntington Beach, CA - 30 minutes away from Disneyland!

jesus is my homeboy \/\/ - side
    We're addicted to Disney

I was there on May 5th, 2005! and July 17, 2005!

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

the public gives to disneyland everyday with paying for outragous prices on tickets and food, yet we still go. We made disney, without us disney would not have made it to the 50th birthday. I didnt expect any free gifts, but it was really nice.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Yay, this excites me how many people agree about this gifts part

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Social Imagineer

I'll grant this: Gifts were done better this time than they were even on the fantastic 30th. That night, 20 years ago, they handed everyone a big, rolled, limited edition poster in a tube that would not fit in a locker.

Though I daresay we all have our posters from that night (this was pre-ebay), it was a lame gift to have to walk around the Park with till daylight.

Keep it compact. Ears and a map. Perfect.

• No bacon; sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan-500
    Yay, this excites me how many people agree about this gifts part
    I would rather have gotten nothing and witnessed something than eaten a cupcake. And I already own a pair of gold ears.

Think of it this way...20 years down the line, which sounds better? "Hey, you remember that poster and the awesome light show in the sky at night? I've never seen anything like it!" OR "Hey, you remember the cupcakes and, ummm, Arnold got a motorcycle or something? What the hell was that about?"

• Social Imagineer

Heheh, it's a fact. Bacon has heard me (and my friends) talk about the 30th incessently. It was one of the most memorable events in my fun-filled lifetime, with two particular sights burned so deep into my retinas and emotional heart that I will never be able to forget them or stop talking about them.

Nothing done by Disneyland for the 50th will remotely approach that level of memorableness. What an opportunity missed, what a promise unfulfilled! Bland and mundane, Disneyland's 50th Birthday celebration will fail to live through next month, much less in guests' memories for a lifetime.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Think of it this way...20 years down the line, which sounds better? "Hey, you remember that poster and the awesome light show in the sky at night? I've never seen anything like it!" OR "Hey, you remember the cupcakes and, ummm, Arnold got a motorcycle or something? What the hell was that about?"
    Thats why I'm on the seeing, not getting side... I don't think we need gifts. We just need some more entertainment I guess :S

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Compulsive Map Collector

I totally agree, celebration over gifts.

What really bothers me however is why the stage was only a foot tall (if taller, a ton more people could view the ceremony), and the fact that no guest was even able to view the Space Mountain re-opening! I had heard rumors in the days leading up to the 17th that there were some very special things planned, such as live characters on such attractions as POTC and the HM, but that never happened.

Things they did great were:
    -early line in DCA
    -great roping and crowd control
    -great map, ears, and cupcake
    -dedication at 445

• See Ya Real Soon!

I too lean on the side of I would rather of seen more "celebreations" then have gotten any type of "gift" (though the maps and ears were a nice touch, they were bagging people to take/eat the cupcakes).

Here's looking to the 75th and hope they learned from the 50th.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12