Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

In Which Settings Do Certain Characters Belong?

For those people who believe Disneyland's management should be presenting professional theatre, instead of turning the place into a giant Chuck E. Cheese restaurant that only appeals to people whose ages are in the single digits, this question is for you.

Where do certain characters detract from the show? And, where would these characters better support the show? Additionally, which settings would be improved if they were populated by characters that are currently not making any public appearances?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: In Which Settings Do Certain Characters Belong?

Here we go again....

I think Disneyland for the most part is on that gray area between ChuckEcheesing it all up. It's not as far into the red as Magic Kingdom is thank goodness but if they're not careful, it can all fall apart.

Let's break it down.

Main Street - SAFE. There's only a theater that shows mickey mouse cartoons and a shot called Mad Hatter, but it doesn't have anything that would really detract from the overall theme.

Adventureland - Gray. We have Aladdin's Storytelling and Tarzan's Treehouse. I'm okay with the storytelling and Tarzan's Treehouse is just really average..... but I think everyone would agree that the land would be stronger to have the Tahitian Terrace and Swiss Family Treehouse back in its place...but have Aladdin and Tarzan (and Jungle Book) as walkaround characters. So glad our Tiki Room is still the same. (magic kingdom has iago & zazu in tiki room. as well as aladdin magic carpet spinner ride, agrabah baazar, genie's magical lamp of goodies)

Frontiterland - Safe. There are no cartoon attractions or restaurants though Woody and Jessie make appearances. (magic kingdom has Pecos Bill cafe)

New Orleans Square - gray seasonal. Once a year, Nightmare Before Christmas takes over the Haunted Mansion. Some oppose, many are for it. I personally like it and gaurantees that the Haunted Mansion will always look its best year after year when it is open.

Critter Country - well.... this land was created to support the toonification. But if you want to keep Splash Mountain rooted in the deep south, Pooh does seem out of place.

Fantasyland and Toon Town - SAFE!

Tomorrowland - gray. Buzz Lightyear and finding Nemo. Buzz is at least a space ranger and tomorrowland has always played with that idea, but Finding Nemo as a theme is rooted in modern times even if submarines for paying guests isn't quite within reach yet. Finding Nemo is probably the biggest criminal in all of disneyland for pulling away from the overall theme. (magic kingdom has buzz lightyear, stitch, and monsters inc)

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Is the question in regards to character themed attractions or characters on foot interacting with guests? or both?
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

• I'm not really here

With you all the way on this one Prag.

Main St.
    Mickey and gang work here.
    Marry Poppins and crew
    Cruella fits here as well

Adventureland
    Rafiki
    I think they should add an Indy face character as well

Critter Country
    Pooh and gang belong back where they are
    I think the Brer's should make more appearances between Splash and the Hungry Bear. Possibly above the canoe landing

My biggest pet peeve is that the princesses are only to be found in the Fantasy Faire. They belong in front of the Castle, or in the courtyard, or walking beside it.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    My biggest pet peeve is that the princesses are only to be found in the Fantasy Faire. They belong in front of the Castle, or in the courtyard, or walking beside it.

I've actually seen the princesses all over the place.... recently in front of the mickey planter at the train station! It really depends on the day I suppose.

But moving on with what DOESN'T belong: Monsters Inc in hollywood.

What would belong in Condor Flats is a Rocketeer walkaround character (or even Hollywood).

Scrooge McDuck needs to be seen in or around Toon Town.

Brer Rabbit definitely needs to make more appearances too.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

I firmly believe you need Characters front and center, the minute you enter the Park, or maybe even before you enter!

And, they sometimes do this, actually, on NYE last year, I believe Goofy and Pluto came out to talk to people in the long Main Gate Lines....which is actually quite nice and builds anticipation and excitement....before you even get thru the Gates....as well as quells any bad feeling from having to wait so long in lines....at least the characters keep you company.

That's part of why I'm so disappointed that Santa Goofy is pushed way back into Toontown, nowadays.

I think you need a couple of characters front and center, right when you enter....Consistently !!!

Whatever they're doing at the Flag pole these days, that (yawn) flag ceremony.... wouldn't it be better if you had characters stationed there, greeting you first thing upon entrance...????

It meant so much to me in 2004, to walk right in and see Santa/Goofy, front and center, right there before anything else:

Above: 2004, instant gratification---Santa/Goofy the minute you walk in, and not relegated to the back of the park.

You always want characters stationed at the front of the Park to greet guests right upon arrival.

• =)

Honestly, I personally would not miss the characters if they all magically vanished from the entire park. I really wouldn't mind at all. However, these characters create some of the most magical moments for the little ones, regardless of where they are. I'll never forget watching home movies of my brother meeting Pooh and Tigger for the first time. The look of amazement on his three-year-old face was unforgettable. He kind of stumbled backwards in shock, and looked at our parents, and gave Pooh an utterly bewildered but loving hug. The look of wonderment continued long after the characters departed. Kids love the characters; I don't. But I love for them to have those moments, and I really don't care so much where it happens, provided the unthemedness doesn't get too out-of-hand.

Perhaps this question should have its own thread but where should the magic begin and reality end?

With stories of characters past the entrance tunnels and gates, does that ruin the magic?
    Should the magic begin when you enter the esplanade? Ticket gates? Or pass through the tunnels?
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

• I'm not really here

I to have seen the Princesses in front of the planter, but only in the mornings before the FF starts. After that I haven't seen them in front of the planter ever. Granted, I don't get out there as often as I would like, so I may be totally off on that one. I'll let wiser minds than mine decide that one.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

While I do think that theme is too often being sacrificed for convenience, I do believe the Fab Five should be available to Guests on Main Street. Mary Poppins and Cruella deVil are ill-fitting and should be in Fantasyland, or at least relegated to the central plaza and 'Hub'.

This same principle should also apply to all Fantasyland Characters--if not actually within the borders, then in the Central Plaza and 'Hub'.

Since the majority of Disney Characters fall into the 'Fantasyland' category, meet and greets should be done in the PFF area on a continuous rotating basis (if this is not already happening). Characters who can claim even loose connections with other Lands should be stationed there exclusively.

I realize some adults are caught up in the character meets, but it is primarily a feature for the little ones; an element specifically designed to appeal to them. The illusion of reality (the hyper-reality) is easily broken (this of course increases exponentially with age), and the random wanderings of misplaced characters does much to undermine the efforts and raw capital expended to maintain this believable thematic 'illusion'. Counter-productive, IMO.

• Mickey is not my Brother

If Goofy or Pluto were talking to you they probably got fired so I hope you meant just meeting and greeting

• Miss Marvel

It's a shame that Adventureland is so small, that they really can't do character interactions there.

So many movies could be represented. Jungle Book, Aladdin, Lion King, Tarzan, Indiana Jones...
    "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see? " - Alice

"If his brain's ran down, how can he talk?" - Jack Pumpkinhead
    "It happens to people all the time, Jack." - Dorothy

"It seems the words on my mug are right: 'It is hard to soar with Eagles when you work with Turkeys.'" - Sam the Eagle

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Wait - if people don't agree with you, and they're making jokes and not taking the thread seriously enough for you - you just create a new thread on the same topic?

I don't know why we have to keep creating threads that are nearly identical to others that are already going.

I think the classic Disney characters all belong on Main Street, Disneyland USA.

They're there to welcome you to Disneyland, not to take you back to the turn of the century.

• Mickey is not my Brother

Adventureland is actually quite large just the Jungle Cruise occupies a large majority of it

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnn in Wndrlnd View Post
    It's a shame that Adventureland is so small, that they really can't do character interactions there.

So many movies could be represented. Jungle Book, Aladdin, Lion King, Tarzan, Indiana Jones...
    **Off Topic** Do they have any character greets with anyone from Lion King besides Rafiki? Timon, maybe?

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast