Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Los Angeles Times blog: "DCA a cheap strip mall knock-off"... plus MiceChat plug

LA Times staff writer, Brady MacDonald has started a candidly honest series of blog postings based on DCA's makeover. In his latest, Brady pulls no punches when it comes to being blunt about the DCA Problem:

By all honest accounts, Disney’s California Adventure is nothing more than a cheap strip mall knock-off of everything the theme park innovator invented back in 1955.

For anyone who’s ever stepped foot into California Adventure (and the attendance numbers bear out that few have), the initial and resonating universal response is almost always the same: The place has no soul.

a giant tinfoil-esque sun icon

The blog doesn't really deal out any new information, at least for all of us here, but what's exciting is that it plugs MiceAge, and MiceChat - specifically the DCA Project Tracker thread.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Los Angeles Times blog: "DCA a cheap strip mall knock-off"... plus MiceChat plug

Nice. Getting the good word out is never a bad thing.

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Re: Los Angeles Times blog: "DCA a cheap strip mall knock-off"... plus MiceChat plug

I'm glad to see your DCA tracker thread is getting the props. it deserves, MG!

As for the article, nothing too new. It seems to be pretty much a rehash of the same thing that's been printed before.

...Joe...

• Goofy

wow poor dca it dosen't get respect.

• =)

wow poor dca it dosen't get respect.
    Respect should be shown to everyone and everything, even when the respect isn't earned. I think the best thing we can do to respect DCA is to honestly acknowledge its problems. Not overstate them, not ignore them. The former would disrespect DCA and the hard work of the Imagineers; the latter would disrespect the far more formidable Disneyland and the amazing work of the original Imagineers.

The remarks in the article are true. DCA, as conceived by mid-90s WDI and the stifling financial climate of the company back then, really was a retail-focused carnival with better-than-average theming and a couple of fun rides. Does the place have a soul? I've yet to experience it. And the sun thingie does look like tinfoil.

I don't hate DCA. It just comes as a severe disappointment to me, and one that I'm hoping will become worth the cost of admission within the next few years.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quacky4Donald View Post
    I'm glad to see your DCA tracker thread is getting the props. it deserves, MG!
    I would second this! How very cool MG! Also cool is the fact that an LA Times blogger is visiting Micechat.

• Circle of Ancients

Yeah, 6+ million people per year is nobody.

• "I Break Things"

Wow.... cheap strip mall... and people jumped all over me for being hard on DCA!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Minion

Although I have quite a few issues with DCA (quite a few is putting it nicely), I enjoy going there...I'd rather be at Disneyland of course, but when I'm going to the DLR, I make sure to get a Parkhopper, because I enjoy it. Although I might not be able to spend all day there without going to DL, I love going on Soarin', and taking the animation academy classes...I think DCA definitely deserves more respect, especially considering its makeover.
    The daydream princess

• Hiding in the shadows

That is so cool he put a link to the project tracker, its a great thread with all the info in one place. MG, you should be very proud!

A little piece of heaven

• DL Nerd

"cheap strip mall" seems kinda harsh..... Allthough I agree in principal
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Yeah, 6+ million people per year is nobody.
    6+ million people paying nearly nothing to get in, and spending most of their day at DL, is nothing, in terms of ROI.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    ...what's exciting is that it plugs MiceAge, and MiceChat - specifically the DCA Project Tracker thread.
    Long Live the DCA Project Tracker thread!

Disneyland had the advantage that it was first. Prior to Disneyland, there was nothing like it in Southern California. Disneyland had nothing to compare. Forty five years later, DCA is placed literally next to Disneyland and the differences are obvious. Disney should have spent far more money on DCA to make it comparable to Disneyland.

A well known company cuts corners by cutting costs to build a new theme park. Is this news ? Why are we surprised? The budget battles were reported on while DCA was being planned and built!

In the end, Disney is going to fix it anyways. In the course of the events, they have tarnished the Disney brand, once known for being first rate in every way measurable.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    6+ million people paying nearly nothing to get in, and spending most of their day at DL, is nothing, in terms of ROI.
    Have some facts to back that up?

If your talking about AP's, well, as much as alot of people with AP's go to DL, they are paying next to nothing for DL as well.

And remember, when it comes to DCA those numbers for AP's and park-hoppers don't count those that go into Disneyland FIRST in the day. And with Disneyland ALWAYS opening up earlier than DCA when you hop to DCA your attendance doesn't count for DCA on that day.

So when you think of it in terms of that, there most likely were more than 6 million visitors, they just went into Disneyland first on any particular day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast