Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fort Wilderness still "on fire?"

I remember reading a couple of years ago that Tom Sawyers island went down under a big rehab and when it re opened Fort Wilderness was closed because managment refused to pay for replacing rotten wood on the structure. They said that people couldn't enter because it was "on fire" created with the effect of red and yellow lights. Now is it open once again, or is it still burning to a crisp?
    Hail Matt Ouimet, the savior of Disneyland!

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries
    Nope, still the PC version... we don't want to say that "Injuns" set that Cabin on fire, do we?????

Now it just a friendly Settlers Cabin, with a load of Laundry out front...

(But where is the Moonshine Still???
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Disney fans for life!

I grew up watching that cabin burn everytime we went to the Park.

I never developed a "burning desire" to go out and harm an "Injun" because of it. It was part of a story, that's all. No political message nonsense.

Bring back the flames!!!

Same goes with the Pirates. I must have seen them chasing down the wenches a hundred times. I have never felt the need to go out and assault a woman because of it.

Some decision making people need to get a life.

No, not the cabin. Fort Wilderness on Tom Sawyer island? You know? That big fort on the island? When Tom Sawyer's island went down for rehab, it didn't open with the rest of the island because Cynthia Harrisssssssssss didn't want to pay for rotten wood removal, etc on the fort. So it stayed closed and they put cheap fire lighting on the fort saying that it wasn't open because it was "on fire." Now is it open again, or is it still "on fire?"

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by imagineer boy
    they put cheap fire lighting on the fort saying that it wasn't open because it was "on fire."
    Wow. That's even worse than the Carousel/AmerSings closed sign, and that lasted longer than many attractions.

I thought the main concern about the Fort wasn't so much the termites but that a young girl lost a finger in the woodwork?

• New Waver

Last time I was there about 2 weeks ago it was still closed. I belive it went down not only because of the rotten wood but because it had guns up in the turrets that were not very "PC". I think they used that as a further excuse to shut the place down. I heard that they were going to open the fort back up without the guns a long time ago, I guess that did not happen.

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    Nope, still the PC version... we don't want to say that "Injuns" set that Cabin on fire, do we?????

Now it just a friendly Settlers Cabin, with a load of Laundry out front...

(But where is the Moonshine Still???
    When I was at WDW last year I was utterly and completely shocked to see the cabin on Tom Sawyer's Island was on fire. Real flames. Theory of the red headed step-child strikes again.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• Banned User

and our fort wilderness fort is still open.... (thought didn't they change a few things after the finger incidence a few years ago at DL???)

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries
    Fort Wilderness still stands at Disneyland, but only with help... The inside of the fort has a lot of bracing (unthemed) to keep the thing standing...

They were going to remove it when they drained the Rivers of America, but the Entertainment department said they needed it for costume changes for Fantasmic!. So it remains standing, but with the gates closed during the day. At night, the gates get opened for the CM's working on Fantasmic!

I have never noticed any type of flames on or attached to the Fort.... But I will take a closer look next week...
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Who's your DaddyB?

In his opening speech, didn't Walt Disney say something about Disneyland being dedicated "to the ideals, the dreams, and the Hard Facts that have created America" ? Just where does being PC fit in there?

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    I have never noticed any type of flames on or attached to the Fort.... But I will take a closer look next week...
    This MP picture seems to be what's being talked about. Caption says:
    Disney's idea of an acceptable replacement of the fire effect on the cabin in Fort Wilderness may no longer pose any fire hazard, but it also looks more like fire alarm lights than anything resembling fire.

The picture is such a closeup and the caption so poorly worded that I don't know if this is the settler's cabin or something inside the fort. And how the picture was taken if it was either. Regardless, I'd mistake that more for an employee emergency monitoring system than any kind of fire effect. At least take the little metal cages off the lights, guys.

• Minion

In his opening speech, didn't Walt Disney say something about Disneyland being dedicated "to the ideals, the dreams, and the Hard Facts that have created America" ? Just where does being PC fit in there?
    Disney has never really been all about the Hard Facts of anything. Especially films. If anything it is an overly sugar coated type thing, which is ok. But in reference to the burning cabin, Indians have endured a lot from America and especially the media. Their whole image has always been un-civilized, strange, and evil. Considering their current state, I'm willing to let go of the burning cabin, even though I loved it. Even though it is "PC", I think their image has been damaged long enough...

• Who's your DaddyB?

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    Disney has never really been all about the Hard Facts of anything. Especially films. If anything it is an overly sugar coated type thing, which is ok. But in reference to the burning cabin, Indians have endured a lot from America and especially the media. Their whole image has always been un-civilized, strange, and evil. Considering their current state, I'm willing to let go of the burning cabin, even though I loved it. Even though it is "PC", I think their image has been damaged long enough...
    I pretty strongly disagree, but to go into why, would open up a can of worms that don't really belong on this discussion board.

But...

I wonder how a Hippo feels when they come up against the hard facts and have warning shots fired over their heads? Or how descendants of pirates feel about their ancestors being depicted as chasing after food, not women?

(I make these analogies in jest people!)

Here's a link the the mouse planet article that discusses about it:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdat.../dlr030707.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    but then why run the burning cabin in WDW? this isn't PC this's just being cheap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast