Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does Your Party Stay Together throughout a Day at Disneyland?

This thread is inspired by Kevin Yee, and his most recent discussion of this topic.

People visit Disneyland in a variety of social groups, and I am curious to know how many of those groups separate during the course of a day and for what reasons.

What are the circumstances that drive people apart when they visit Disneyland and the other Disney parks?

• Minion

Re: Does Your Party Stay Together throughout a Day at Disneyland?

I've been with three friends before, and we split up once or twice because one member of the party didn't like Splash Mountain, so she looked at Main Street while we went on. Sometimes people just don't agree on rides, and they need to split.
    The daydream princess

• Hiding in the shadows

We usually do stay together however there are times when we split up. One instance in particular was when TheGirlTrolly and I had lunch at Ariel's and TheBoyTrolly and hubby went somewhere else, but then we met up right after.

Usually if I am going to Disneyland with a group I want to experience it with that group so we rarely split off and go our separate ways.

A little piece of heaven

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Differing interests. Not everybody wants to see the same thing.

The strange thing is that, among all the different social groups in which I've visited Disneyland (family; friends; dates; co-workers; business associates; acquaintances; etc.), I don't think I've ever had to separate much, except for Space Mountain. It seems to be the one attraction that causes the most trepidation among certain people, although older women seem to also be concerned about getting their hair wet on Splash Mountain.

When I was a little kid, I, personally, was apprehensive about the name of "The Haunted Mansion", so I would never go inside. And, the roars of the Abominable Snowman at the Matterhorn and the dinosaurs of the Primeval World were a little too much for me, too. Still, my parties never really separated due to differing interests.

Each attraction has fairly broad appeal, excepting for specific impediments, like scariness or wetness, or, at least, the perception of these things.

• Minion

When I visit Disneyland with my family, we always make a point of staying together. Occasionally my sister brings her schoolmates and they want to go off and do their own thing, so that is an exception, but even then they will join back up with us for the fireworks and maybe a spin on the Mad Tea Party. Luckily all the siblings in my family have reached the age (or rather, the height) so that it is very rare that we encounter an attraction where we can't all enjoy it together. It helps too that for the most part we get along pretty well.

I'm especially proud of my mom. While we see other parents that let their kids run loose in the park while they find a bench, our mom will ride the Matterhorn with us even though it's bumpy, get in the monkey cage of Casey Jr. even though it's cramped, and board Gadget's Go-Coaster even though it's grounds for whiplash. In any event, she loves Space Mountain, California Screamin', Tower of Terror, etc. One time the mom of my sister's friend was with us, and she sat out for those three attractions. She asked our mom, "You actually ride those rides?" The reply was an incredulous "Of course!" My mom is a daredevil, and I love her for that. (I took her on the Xcelerator at Knott's too, but that's a different story.)

Disneyland was meant to be a place "where the parents and the children can have fun together." Compared to parks under different umbrellas, Disney parks excel brilliantly at this. But is "family togetherness" still a concept valued by average park guests?

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

When I've gone with a group, we start together and have lunch together. Then we all separate for a couple of hours for "individual investigations" and meet up later for another group encounter. I find this is the best arrangement as it lets you do some of the things you really want that perhaps some others don't.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• Suspended

We always split. We have a teenager who wants to go on the wilder attractions, and we have a younger one who won't go on anything.

We're together in real life all the time. No need to stay together at the park.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I ususally stay together. Most of my friends and family have all been there like 5 billion times so it's never a big deal if we miss a ride.

The only time I sacrifice is when I am with kids but I usually let them dictate which rides we are going to go on. No big deal...

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

If the group is big it's a good thing to split up. Nothing annoys me more than standing around for a half an hour figuring out what to do next. Cuts down on the potty breaks too.

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    If the group is big it's a good thing to split up. Nothing annoys me more than standing around for a half an hour figuring out what to do next. Cuts down on the potty breaks too.
    Larger parties always complicate matters. I think Disneyland is best experienced in smaller groups.

It should be noted that Walt Disney planned certain areas (Central Plaza; Tom Sawyer Island; etc.) to specifically allow parties to separate, if they need or want to do so.

I prefer staying together, myself.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 11-09-2007 at 10:28 AM.

• Blind to His Own Faults

I certainly have never visited DL with a party large enough to be considered a hindrance, but I like staying together as much as attraction preference will allow. I am not a big Splash Mountain fan--don't hate it as some would have you believe--and I also wouldn't stop to view Fantasmic!. Aside from minor adjustments, I like a group .

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

For me, it depends on what you consider a "party." My last two trips were planned with friends and we definitely did not stay together the entire time. Part of the group did on the first trip and I think we pretty much stayed with them the first day we were all there. At the end of that day, my husband asked "are we going to be doing everything with them all week?" and I thought about it and said "nope!" So we would go our own way for a while and eventually we'd get a call saying they were heading to a certain place, would we like to meet up. Sometimes we did, sometimes we didn't. But it was for an entire week. If it had been all of us for just a day, we probably would have stayed together more.

But my immediate family of 4 - we stay together for the most part. The exception is usually found when hubby wants to go to Innoventions and I want to go shopping.
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

I think that there's a big difference between the wants of a group who visit the Park a lot and a group who are Park virgins. The first time I think it's better to share the wonder, maybe after a few times it becomes more familiar and you'd want to split.

This leads to a second related question: Do you think it's better to experience Disneyland for the first time by yourself or in a group of good friends?
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast